the effects of weather

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rns-glock37, Feb 12, 2010.

1. rns-glock37

rns-glock37

i keep my firearm along with an extra mag in my car at all times. the other day my car was completely frosted over and it made me think of my ammo. what effect if any at all will weather like this have on the ammo? my concern is the frosting and thawing of the ammo causing some type of problem with the powder. any help or thoughts?

2. SoonerSoftail

SoonerSoftail Go Sooners!

This came up during a CCW class I took a couple of weeks ago. It was asked due to the unusual cold and snow amounts we've had here this year. The range owner, someone I trust as an expert, said that temperature swing do effect the powder over time. He suggested rotating the ammo in your carry mags so it never gets too old.

3. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Of course it's probably better to store it at 50 degrees with 0% humidity on a soft pillow, but I have found them to be really resiliant... Cartridges are airtight, so the humidity inside the casing shouldn't change.. I don't think the temp difference would do anything more than change the pressure inside the casing by a very,very minimal amount... I have only had 3 misfires, and those were from the same brand new box of .280 Remigtons... I have never had a misfire otherwise, even from 20+ year old ammo that came out of a weathered box from the storage shed...

4. FGracing

FGracing

The Russians have been using old ammo in Siberia for decades. I don't think some South Carolina frost is going to have an effect.

5. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

No issues. What sort of lockbox or cabling system do you use to secure your weapon when it's in the vehicle unattended?

6. ede

ede

cold temperatures has an more adverse effect on fast powders than the medium to slow powders. i've got bit a couple of times with fast powder in cold weather not being 100% reliable to cycle the slide. if it's factory ammo and you're in SC i sure wouldn't spend much time thinking or worrying about it.

7. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor