close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "dunkin' donuts" method

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Oct 14, 2006.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I remember seeing a gunsmith just lowering an entire 1911 into a container of gasoline , leaving it there for a while, and eventually taking it out and letting it "drip dry".

Hmm.. being the lazy bastard that I am....would it hurt a revolver if I did the same thing to it? (revolvers of course are more of a pain in the *** to disassemble and clean - once in a blue moon - than a 1911.)

***Does synthetic motor oil - say Mobil 1 - do anything to rubber Pachmyar grips - melt them or whatever? of course I could always remove the grips before doing the dunk.

2. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

just remember to take the rubber parts out first and oil the gun after:)

3. riddler

riddler

Just take off the grip (if wood or permeable rubber/synthetic) on your revolver and dunk away!!

4. isuzu

isuzu

Synthetic oil is known to damage rubber, especially in older engines (newer engines use a different rubber compound on rubber seals that is resistant to synthetic oils).

This holds true with old Pachmayrs. A friend of mine used Pachmayrs on his revolver and 1911 in the 80's. Conventional oil damaged the grips. I'm sure grip manufacturers now use a different kind of rubber compound on their rubber grips.

Hogue claims that their grips are resistant to chemicals and oils.

5. Glock_19_9x19

Glock_19_9x19 Toink!

What if you dunk a glock in a gas container? or let's say the slide and barrel?

6. jimbullet

jimbullet

Just make sure gasoline evaporates before using it. Who knows, you may have a fireball in your hands literally. I dont recommend it since there is supposed to be some oil retained in some internal parts. If you dunk it in gasoline, which evaporates, it may leave some internal parts dry where there is friction

7. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

i used to do that, i stopped when the fiber optic on my sigth melt. so dont do it if you installed fiber optic or nigth sight on your guns. thank God i met pogi, gave me fiber optic and spare, and gave me also....:hugs: baka di na maulit pag sinabi ko.:supergrin: have a nice day!

8. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

i agree with isuzu, actually if your power steering fluid container has leak be sure to repair it, otherwise the bushings on your suspensions will be easily worn out.

9. paltik45

paltik45

I agree with saki, I did the same thing with my 1911 that have the metrillo fiber optic front sight. I got lazy one day after a competition and just dunk it in a container of gasoline. I rest for a couple of hours while having a cup of cofee and.......walah!! The fiber optic is GONE!!!! :animlol:

10. isuzu

isuzu

Yep. Some plastics don't also react well to gasoline additives. Try putting gasoline in a white plastic container or a purified water container. Notice that after a few days, the container begins to deform. I remember there were complaints of some rubber gas line parts on certain Hyundai vehicles that were damaged when unleaded gasoline was introduced in the Philippines.

If you have to dunk your gun, you might want to use kerosene instead and spray it with compressed air (just make sure the compressed air tank has been drained of water).

11. vega

vega

Why apply oil after being dunk in oil?
    Darn that's the oilest gun ever be.

12. pogi

pogi Nuon

+1.
    Grips taken out, and ALL parts "kalas", I used to make "babad" my Para in a tray of kerosene for about an hour. You'll find out that the lead, dirt and grimes just slip out. Do mild brush strokes to some parts with soft-used-toothbrush. And after some inside-barrel-brushings you'll see that there's virtually no "leading" at all. Hair dryer for quick-hot-drying then aircool dry via elec fan.

Cotton wiping for that shiny finish,little oiling with Castor Racing oil with Anti-Friction property...wella, ready to rock again.

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

"+1.
    Grips taken out, and ALL parts "kalas", I used to make "babad" my Para in a tray of kerosene for about an hour. You'll find out that the lead, dirt and grimes just slip out. Do mild brush strokes to some parts with soft-used-toothbrush. And after some inside-barrel-brushings you'll see that there's virtually no "leading" at all. Hair dryer for quick-hot-drying then aircool dry via elec fan.

Little oiling...wella, reaady to rock again."

Sounds good. Rubber grips out, bathe in kerosene , toothbrush it, clean barrel-bore with bore brush, put hair dryer, infront of electric fan , a bit of lube (no bath), put grips back on, and there we go.

The alternate route - take advantage of the cheap labor rates in the Philippines and just have one of the range guys at Armscor Makati clean it after each range session, pay him.

14. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

hehe well, gasoline actually degreases:) when it evaporates, your gun is bone dry.

15. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

and dont forget to grease the internals of your wheel gun, it will do wonders:)

16. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

that's the advatage i like about gasoline. it leaves your gun almost totally clean. just be sure to properly oil your gun after cleaning, it's really really dry. mahapdi pag dry!:supergrin:

17. vega

vega

Nope, that's not what said in the posts. Read again my first post, original poster said, "***Does synthetic motor oil - say Mobil 1 - do anything to rubber Pachmyar grips - melt them or whatever? of course I could always remove the grips before doing the dunk."

So after being dunk in motor oil, you adviced him to oil it after.

Still the darnest oilest gun ever be.

18. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

So which among gasoline, kerosene, or other compound is best for removing lead fouling in a barrel? Just planning on dunkin' the barrel.

19. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

that's what i used to do.

i dunk the barrel in gasoline, leave it a few hours, brush it with stiff nylon brush (or copper brush, kung talagang makapal ang fouling, but never the stainless steel brush) and the barrel comes out nice and clean. kitang-kita mo pan yung mga lead particles maiiwan sa gasolina. (and whatever you do, don't smoke!)

these days though, i'm too lazy to clean that way, so i just use fmj reloads. hoppes no.9 lang kayang-kaya.

20. royal glockster

royal glockster

Haha! same thing happened to me, kaya balik kerosene na lang ako..but i definitely agree, gasoline will make your gun "bone dry" talagang tuyong tuyo sya..yun ang advantage nya..:)