The dreaded "check engine light"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Z71bill, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Dirty mass air flow sensor will cause an erratic idle...never mind...erotically...ha

pgg00 and railfancwb like this.
  2. wyntrout

wyntrout

After paying $150 to $200 each for the first few "suspects", and told the next is more like $500, but still may not get the light out, we decided to live with it. The technician did say that it wouldn't affect anything safety-wise or performance related... maybe just a tad "less efficient" or environmentally friendly. :)

cbetts1 likes this.

3. cbetts1

cbetts1

That should be mandatory.

4. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Yeah, at $550 not worth it. Not a bad price for the labor.

I dropped the tank on my 1996 Tahoe and it is not a fun job even with an empty tank. It just fits by jacking up the vehicle high enough to drop the axle all the way down.

But then the AC Delco pump was only around $100 from Rock Auto if I remember so no mechanic retail parts prices. Still a pain and probably worth $495 to have someone do it.

Z71bill and cbetts1 like this.
  5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

DAMNIT!!!

All such pricey and STUPID richarding-around to drive less than 14-gallons of gas-worth miles a YEAR! :fist:
    In a 2009/10 4-dr hatchback Matrix w/~ 30,000 miles on it, at most & likely LESS! :frown: :fist: :deadhorse:

6. cbetts1

cbetts1

That should read in some Texas counties. My county does not have emission test. The check engine light can be on and it can still pass inspection because we are inspected at a vehicle inspection station in a non-affected county. That means there is no emissions test at all. Cracked windshield, no problem, don't even need a windshield (that's what I was told). I only see them check tint, tire, lights, parking brake, and brakes in the parking lot. May be something else but I can't see it. Takes 5min or less.

Intolerant and aircarver like this.
  7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Magical mystical typo code... :)

20200924_104842.jpg

8. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

My oldest 22yrs Camry would set an 'EGR' code when it was damp or rainy ... go all summer when it was dry ... Fixed it by cleaning up corrosion on the connector that let the computer turn the circuit on and off (& it checks for compliance .. :supergrin: )

cbetts1 likes this.
  9. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Go to Napa and get a fresh gas cap, and see if it solves the issue; it's a cheap enough piece that if it doesn't work you're not out much, and,it may solve the problem....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Intolerant and pgg00 like this.
  10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I was going to price one out at the dealer -

I cleaned mine with SeaFoam - it went from black to pink - I also used Seafoam to get the black deposits off the cap to gasket area -

My gasket looks good - and I don't think the cap is my problem - but may order a new one anyway - $20 seems like nothing and may prevent a future code - the cap is original so 13 years old -

MB-G26 likes this.
  11. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I had that same code, I think, on our last 2005 Tahoe and replacing the canister fixed it. It was really easy to replace. I believe the problem was caused by my bad habit of "topping off" the tank and I no longer do that.

railfancwb and cbetts1 like this.
  12. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Maybe it's so good they made it illegal...

MB-G26 likes this.
  13. aircarver

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Replacing a battery can prevent you from passing emissions testing inspection even if you have no emission issues -

It clears all the data stored in the on board computer and that data is what the emission test needs to see before you can pass.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Caver 60 and aircarver like this.
  15. Z71bill

Z71bill

The part they are replacing is $40 on RockAuto - they are charging me $70 - the kick in the pants is they didn't have it in stock and had to order it -

I am only a 48,600 miles - I figure I will keep this one at least another year - maybe 2 -

I "just" put a set of Michelin Defender M/S tires on it 4,900 miles ago (a little over 2 years ago) the rear tires still look new - even still has the little whiskers between the treads -

MB-G26 likes this.
  16. jmohme

jmohme

Gas tanks have been that way for many years.
    There was a time when pickups had the tanks behind the driver seat. Those were easy to work on, but they also burned a lot of people to death in crashes.

Gas tanks are not that difficult to drop as long as your run the car as close to empty as you dare before hand.
    That and put out your cigarette before messing with it.

light-switch and Z71bill like this.
  17. aircarver

That's where the scantool reads 'monitors not ready' and can't pass you 'til they've run and come up 'pass'. A drive of 50 to 200 miles is needed to get the important ones ... TX will let one 'not ready' go 'cuz it's probably the evap cannister test which requires a lot of stops and starts and heating up and cooling down, so may not reset in a reasonable time.

Drive 70 mph to get the O2 sensors and cat heated up and onboard with the monitors ...

MB-G26 likes this.
  18. bdcochran

bdcochran

If it is the EVAP, it can be taken off and cleaned instead of replaced on most cars.

19. thespork

thespork

PO446 can be a big nothing.. or it can a wild goose chase of progressively harder trial and error that leads you frustrated and skulking off to the mechanic...

Know your limits

Z71bill likes this.
  20. Z71bill

Z71bill

I would have dropped the gas tank myself 20 years ago - at 62 I am more willing to just pay someone -

My rules have changed -

It use to be

- if was an easy fix, maybe a couple hours worth of work - I would do it myself, even if it didn't save me that much $. I didn't mind doing it and a $100 save is $100 earned!

- if it was a PITA and as a result cost a lot - I would fix it myself to save the $$ - because paying someone else was not an option.

Now -

- if it is an easy fix - it most likely doesn't cost that much - so let someone else fix it

- if it a PITA and costs a lot to fix - I let someone else do it because I don't want to spend 2 days crawling around under my truck.