The decreasing reward for honesty...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, May 29, 2020.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Brought my truck in for an oil change / rotation and used a new start-up because my local go-to was booked. While walking out I noticed the owner undercharged my card for $10 less than what the invoice said and went back in to make good. He seemed genuinely annoyed and offended that I caught him in a mistake. I wish him well. HH

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Had that happen before. Most places. “Thank you for bringing it to our attention”. Normally they wave the extra $$$. But sometimes as you said they seem upset you informed them.

Caver 60 and faawrenchbndr like this.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've walked all the way out to the car at Walmart with an uncharged bag of garden mulch under the cart, went back in and was treated better to the point of flattery. HH

E-2-E and larry_minn like this.
  4. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

I used to have a bookie. One time I brought up that he had messed up. Didn't tell him exactly what was wrong, just that our number was wrong. He spent a good amount of time going through his records and when he discovered the mistake was in my favor he got a little ticked. Told me, in the future, if he made a mistake in my favor just say thank you (to myself) and move on.

Next time he screws up just say thank you

5. nrajeff

nrajeff

Last week I ordered a 50-lb. bag of powdered milk on Amazon, so that I wouldn't need to shop for fresh milk and endanger other shoppers until the end of the Covid Crisis. Yesterday, a bag of milk arrived. Yay. Today, another bag arrived. A bag I hadn't asked for, and wasn't charged for. I spent a half hour on the phone trying to talk to the 3rd party shippers and on Amazon's CS page, trying to figure out what I should do about it. I got no response "due to short staffing during the pandemic" except for the supervisor at one of the fulfillment centers that shipped me one of the bags of milk. After I explained that I got 2 bags but only paid for one, he seemed a bit annoyed and said, Well, it looks like you got yourself one free bag of milk." Oh well, I tried.

GlockAndMan and Caver 60 like this.
  6. Resqu2

Resqu2

Well I guess I’m going to be the bad guy here but I stopped at a donut shop, the young guy was very unfriendly, very unhelpful and just seemed to be in a hurry for no reason, I was the only one in the store. My order was $2.19 so I handed him a $20 so when he gave me my change. He literally wadded it up and crammed it in my hand and I walked out. When I straightened it up my change was $22 and some loose change. Nope, I did not go back in, the boy can use it as a lesson to do a better job.

nrajeff, Cubdriver, aircarver and 4 others like this.
  7. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

This is really a result of workers not carrying about the business and not having a real sense of doing right by their employer. People just don't have the same character that they used to. When you go back in you are doing something they wouldn't do and you are just making more work for them. The moral aspect of it means nothing to many of them because they aren't principled.

Caver 60, JohnnyE, aircarver and 2 others like this.
  8. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I can understand it at the regional level with a large company...it is more difficult to correct the mistake than to just eat the loss...but Not at the local mom/pop level...just the continued coarsening of the Culture...sad

nrajeff likes this.
  9. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

While on vacation in Phoenix last December we stopped into a Nespresso boutique. For our lake house we thought it would be a good idea and easy to use for the number of family members we have.

Ended up buying about $300 worth of stuff and had it shipped to us in NY. Wel,l it never came so we called customer service. They sent a replacement shipment out next day air and that was it......we thought.

Got a call from the boutique that day saying they made a mistake and actually shipped the stuff we bought in person back to themselves. (forgot to remove a label while recycling a box)

I told them customer service to care of us and we were all set. They said they already shipped it out so, Merry Christmas !

nrajeff, Rotn1 and Joshhtn like this.
  10. DAKA

DAKA

Yep...THE END IS NEAR :dunno:

NMG26 likes this.
  11. Rotn1

Rotn1

Often times tbe cost of fixing the "problem" is worse than the problem.

The Quality Assurance guys on here will tell you that not getting it right the first time often has a real cost factor 3X or more than had it been done properly once....... And that excludes the customer satisfaction quotient.

Not at all saying this is ok. It's just so many these days either don't see the big picture or just work McJob's.

I would also posit that many customer service types today are so disproportionally overwhelmed with people complaining about the their negative experiences they simply expect bad news 100% of the time.

A couple of years ago I ordered 3 light figures from an on-line seller in Cali...... I received 4.
    They were several hundred dollars each. I call customer service and reported the problem and actually got it directly shipped to their Correct customer within 8 hours. The store manager called me later in the day and specifically expressed his appreciation. He said "No one does that any more".......

nrajeff and BradD like this.
  12. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

At 50 lbs.the shipping cost to return it is not worth it to the seller.

Sfaql and nrajeff like this.
  13. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Powdered milk is at the most half as good as fresh whole milk. You broke even. :)

nrajeff and RenoF250 like this.
  14. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I can't help but agree with this.

Cubdriver and Resqu2 like this.
  15. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Honesty went the way of Frank Serpico, back in the 70s.

Never did make much of a comeback. Now, an honest man is just considered an idiot.

nrajeff, aircarver and seedub70 like this.
  16. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

This spring, I bought oil for my motorcycle at O'Reilly's. They gave me a quart too many, and when I returned to the store to give it back, they looked at me like I was pulling a scam.

nrajeff and Rotn1 like this.
  17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

May have been annoyed that it happened, having a bad day, whatever.

Did that with a pack of underwear once but just took it to a self-check-out. Felt it was important because my son was with me and I wanted to show him a lesson in honestly.

trajan07, Bish1309 and seedub70 like this.
  18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Rather than use it as a chance for self-improvement, they get angry because you've pointed out their mistake, you've ruined their self-image of perfection and they don't like to be told they are flawed. Typical human behavior.

RenoF250 likes this.
  19. thewitt

thewitt

Honesty and Integrity go hand in hand... I don't need to be rewarded for honesty. It's just the right thing to do.

Recently a printer cartridge arrived here for the former owner of the house. I contacted him and he did not order it. I contacted Staples and they told me just to keep it.

I drove over to the local Staples warehouse - the stores are all closed - and handed them the package through the loading dock...

Why? Because it wasn't mine to keep.

Jringo8769 and Rotn1 like this.
  20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

This is true.

I frequently ask to speak to managers when I get great service, about 99% of the time they're stunned that I'm not complaining.

On Christmas Eve 2018 I called Lowes warranty service and had a great CSR that was unbelievably nice and I told her that. After the call, I looked up who Lowes CEO was and then I emailed him and told him how great the CSR was. I honestly didn't expect to hear back but the day after Christmas I got a call from his assistant thanking me for saying something nice, she said that almost never happens.

nrajeff, JohnnyE, larry_minn and 2 others like this.