close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The cost of our sport

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by VICARA, Sep 3, 2006.

1. VICARA

VICARA

Hello again fellow BOGs,
    I’ve been thinking about this for sometime now. Although I’m not much an active poster, I browse here at least every other day and based on the wide spectrum of topics I’m reading, I have couple of conclusions to make: for one, we are all passionate with our sports and majority of BOGs are experts in their own rights. Also, a big chunk of us have more than one FAs be it pistols or rifles. Lately, I saw pics of some high-powered rifles that must have cost a fortune, one of them been on my wish list for the longest time.

So the question is this: How much are we allocating for our sports? The whole nine yards: FAs, finished projects, modifications, cost of ammos, range time, training, documentations, maintenance, memberships and other expenses that may directly or indirectly link to our sport(i.e. panlangis sa mga mrs/gf/other half to let go of our hilig.)If the actual money count cannot be posted, then percentage of income will do.

Just curious mga fellow BOGs because it has something to do with my other assumption that anybody into this sport are on the higher bracket of the money chain.

2. revo

revo

I had the same attitude many years ago until I met some guys who were into Formula 1 racing.

But, yes, you do need some level of time & resources to participate in this sport.

3. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

the guns dont cost as much, its the ammo:)

4. Cool

Cool

Takes a while before Im able to complete a project...I purchase part by part before finally completing one. But you're right, it may cost a fortune depending on what you put on it...

5. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

The irony of it is we keep on saying it's my last purchase, but when the gun show come, you'll again be thinking of another toy or accessory to the toy.

My main problem is that I've not been able to complete a project. Just as it is about to go online, here comes another urge to start a new one, or modify/upgrade the old one. Dang and Sheezzz... We are not hobbiest, but rather obcessed. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

To answer the question, it would take me up to early 2008 to pay for all my purchases last and this year. And that does not include my basic load for competition and limited practice. Ngek! :shocked:

Hopefully Election Gun Ban next year :banana: :banana: :shocked:

6. pipo

pipo

I'ts pretty expensive. but as I always tell my wife.... Di naman ako nagsusugal o sabong, walang bisyo, don't smoke, wala namang tsiks, di naman masyadong lumalabas. My tinkering with my toys makes me stay in the house most of the time. Just one day in a week (saturdays mostly)to indulge in my "hobby" with my friends which is by the way good for your health - exercise dn in a way eh. I usually get away with it. now about that mossberg.... he he he.:supergrin:

7. jundeleon

jundeleon

vicara

OT: thanks for the smith and wesson brochure you sent me.

I agree with most that this is a rather expensive hobby.
    Hobbyists always find ways to support their chosen craft and shooters are not an exception.

Typical cost of a shooter may be somewhat like this:

* gun and gear, 50,000.
    * gun club membership, 3,000 per year.
    * ammo, 250 rounds per week / 1000 rounds per month / 12,000 rounds per year @ Php 7 per round, Php 84,000 per year

This is a realistic basic setup, with total cost of about Php 137,000 for the first year and Php 87,000 per year on the succeeding years.

Now compare that to how much shooters also spend on special "friends," air force one, heartbeat, classmate, and other places of similar repute, and see which is a more expensive hobby.

8. EYEMD

EYEMD

A lot of fortune, but as cebuboy said guns di masyado yung ammo ang magastos, lalo na if you go to the range mga twice a week or more sakit sa bulsa. but personally i am trying to control mga purchases ko lalo na for a new toy 'NEED OR WANT" tanong muna bago ako gumastos. NEED to PRACTICE yun muna , WANT a new toy? punasan ko na lang muna laway ko. this kind of sport specially if you are competing kelangan buhusan ng panahon at panggastos. kung nagtitipid dry fire lang muna.

9. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

If only I'd save up the money I used in buying accessories, having my guns worked on, etc., I might have my dream car by now........

This sport/hobby/passion is expensive, especially the trial and error process that goes into seeing what's best for you.

If you're really into competititon and have the means to do so, I say "GO FOR IT!" It really is a great way of learning new things, and the things you learn, especially the mechanical aspects of setting up your guns, can be applied to other things.

As for me, I've taken the simple route in the past years. I've analyzed my needs, and I try to stay within those boundaries whenever I make new purchases now. Except when I see something I think I will need, and I splurge!

:thumbsup:

I probably spend a quarter of my income each month when it comes to my passion with guns.

10. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Go to the range once a week? That would be expensive. More like once a month for me. Also, it takes time, who has a lot of free time?

To me it's part of being alive - to understand how lethal instruments work.

The chemisty of detonation is almost unbelieveable : how nitrogen can first of all be bound into such a thing as modern gunpowder. Reading up on how to make saltpeter-based gunpowder, and nitrogen-based gunpowder is fascinating. It's all in the electron bonds. When I fire, I think of the electron bonds breaking at great speed and the enetgy from all those bonds being released very rapidly. If I could play with TNT, I would; but since I can't, firearms are a reasonable substitute.

D E T O N A T I O N

11. 9MX

9MX Rei!

i don't even want to think about it:shocked:

12. jimbullet

jimbullet

You may count all the bucks that you have blown away (ammo down range)but one thing is certain, experiencing the thrill, the excitement and doing better each time is priceless.:thumbsup:

13. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

weekly budget is 200rds(minsan umaabot pa ng 300)@6pesos a pop, thats 1200, +range fee of 150, gas 100, food 200, 35 para sa toll, thats 1685 pesos,

1685x4 weeks=6740, plus clubshoot namin every month, registration is 600, 1200 for the ammo, 100 for fuel, 300 for food, kasama misis. thats. 8940 pesos a month. ang iniisip ko nalang ay, im studying, to learn you need ammo, isipin mo nalang youre paying tuition fee sa shooting class, no ammo, no practice, no improvement.

14. Allegra

Allegra

Men will pay a lot of money to get what they want ( women will buy anything they dont need basta on sale )

/di mo na iniisip ang gastos
    and when your heavily into ipsc , ang magastos is the ammo, match fees,travel expenses, hotel, gimiks tapos ng laro . Dati kasi madami level 3's allo over the country

now that ipsc doesnt interest me , reg fee lang ng level 1 a few km away parang ang mahal na.

15. revo

revo

In the US, it doesn't cost that much to get a handgun, relative to the average paycheck over here.

Ammo is also not very expensive. 100 rounds of 9mm Winchester white box is about $12.28.

You are good to go for IDPA for about $700.00.

Now compare that with some other 'hobbies' and it doesn't look that bad.

16. agentrod

agentrod

17. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

+1! :quiet: :innocent:

18. vega

vega

I agree.

For that price, our counter part in the old country is buying only once fired shells.

That's only the price of hand gun (sa pinas), baka kulang pa.

I also agree.

19. atmarcella

atmarcella

this is so TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

20. VICARA

VICARA

vega/revo
    a little OT but talking about ammo, can you guys confirm if Walmart stopped carrying ammo? Is this is a nationwide thing? I guess they gave in to that petition letter started by the guy who shoot Fahrenheit 911 movie.

I used to buy my range ammo from them, its cheaper than the other stores. its like $19.95/100 rounds of 45.

Well, another exploit by anti-gun group who employs bodyguards with, what else, guns!