GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,422 Posts
They are going about it the wrong way. One of my neighbors built a range about a mile from me. In fact he borrowed my survey to save some money. A few times a year he has machine guns running all day.

I simply go down and asked him if he ever had any issues with my survey. He gets the “ hint “ and invites me to hang around and shoot some new things. I’ve never complained about the noise.

If they would Invite some neighbors over for a few rounds, the complaints may go away.

:D

·
Registered
586 Posts
When we were looking for a new house, my wife sent me a listing for one on the road my range is on. I did a quick Google maps view and saw the range would be 2.5 miles from the new house. SOLD!!!

It's a great house even if the range wasn't just down the road. So that's a bonus feature. Shooting starts at 8:30AM and the range is open all day until 1 hour before sunset. We can hear it even 2.5 miles away but we could even stand it louder than it is.

·
Premium Member
24,820 Posts
The prison unit where I worked was out in the boonies. They had a firing range on the property where shooting took place nearly every day. They WANTED the Offenders to hear the firing as a warning.

They did the same thing with the tracking dogs. The kennel was close to the prison unit and the hounds made racket constantly. It was also a warning.

Incidentally, scent was placed in the Offender laundry. If we had a runner, the dogs tracked that scent instead of collecting Offender personal items for scent.

Flash
I took some training on a prison range. We were told to be armed, keep weapons on our person at all times. Of course we asked if the inmates could be target holders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know the type. Scared suburban soccer moms who didn't bother to check the area around the home they just bought. They're always complaining about railroads, truck routes, shooting ranges, and the airport. At least at the airport the Air Force or the Navy occasionally show up to do some night time exercises. They get their training, I get to see an impromptu air show, and it upsets the natives. Everybody wins.

It sounds like the cops need to schedule some night time training.

·
Why so serious?
64,731 Posts
I've dealt with similar issues with a trap club.

Trap club still going strong. :cool:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Reactions: treg and FullClip

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,496 Posts
G26-Has-my-6 said:
This is the problem with mob rules. They buy cheap land coz it's around a range, then strong arm the range to close or at worse throttle back coz they don't like the noise.
This one sentence here says so much. The essence of American government, at least it used to be.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I live with the Inwood quarry near me. Occasional bangs; no big deal. Recently the ATF brought a bunch of illegal fireworks to dispose of and invited the local counties to also bring their confiscated stuff over. The professional idiots had a few bangs, then a massive explosion when it all went off. The good news is that no one was hurt. The bad news is that no one was fired.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You can take the woman out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the woman.

("woman" was kindly used as substitue for more strongly descriptive words that would result in a TOS violation)

Reactions: 1bigK

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Reminds me of those that buy near airports and complain about the noise
The same thing with folks who buy houses next to the interstate and then they want taxpayer-financed sound walls built to improve their backyards.

We have a situation here where the interstate was widened and had he sound walls were part of this 5 year and nearly $2B construction boondoggle. Except that the neighborhood didn’t want the sound walls along their stretch as “it would block the view of the high school on the other side of the highway”. A lot of meetings and extra effort to be able to be treated as an independent entity when everyone voted on this project.

They got their wish and no sound wall was built along that stretch of highway along their side. It has been 14 years and now they are screaming that they can’t use their backyards blah blah blah, and they want the walls built now. I can’t wait to see how much it will cost now. Major stupidity way beyond the norm on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
The same things happen with drag strips. They build them out in the country and then people surround them and start *****ing about the noise.
And tourist railroads, most of which are using long existing track and right of way.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
We have also had the same thing happen here in Denver that resulted in DIA being built 36 miles from downtown. The city had grown around the old Stapleton airport and a buttload of money had been invested in soundproofing the older half run down houses in the area.

So now the visitors and flying public all complain about how far out the airport is from downtown, and suburbia is steadily encroaching closer to the new airport with new housing developments.

Edited to add that combined Denver metro area has spent on these 2 projects $6.5B, to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
When I lived “at the north house” where I raised my children, I could sometimes hear stock car races at night and high school bands football nights. Depended upon cloud cover reflecting sounds to me.

Airport extended its runways and offered soundproofing or buyouts to long term residents. I took sound proofing, but enough took buyouts that the neighborhood took a turn for the worst.

After retiring I moved to a rural community. I can sometimes hear a race track, once in a great while hear a train, and sometimes hear a gun range. More often I can hear light planes and helicopters. But none are big deals.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I live about 1/2 mile from the local LEO gun range. Nothing like the smell of gunpowder on the October breeze. The noise is just "pop". I'm biased of course because I can use it.

·
Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.
1,751 Posts
And these are the same people who don’t think you should own a suppressor right

We have the same problem with a neighbor or two who moved in 70 years after the our local rod & gun club range had been established and operating.
These flatlanders have gone so far as to file law suits and try to sue the town, the club, etc... to shut it down due to the noise and everything else they can think of.
Didn’t work though as they got some push back from the locals which actually brought even more support to the club and got nowhere other than to have members asked not to go full auto on the rifle range if they can help it.
This could all change if our state constitution is ever tossed out by the pinko commie liberals that Bloomberg keeps financing and shipping up here to take over the VT state legislature.

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,477 Posts
We got same issues around these parts, cept it aint shooting ranges, but mega farms with a couple thousand cows. These cows "process" feed 24/7..................
Yes, old time family farms are becoming scarce but mega milking operations are now everywhere.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The County could build a gigantic plastic bubble to completely encompass Ms. Stout's home. Totally seal it up, no sound would penetrate.

And then remove all the air inside.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts