Featured Glock 26 The Compatible Companion: The Glock 26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 007_Bond, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 007_Bond

007_Bond

The Compatible Companion: The Glock 26

I recently picked up a Glock 26 Gen 4 FDE. (*pictures posted at the bottom)

I ordered from Grab-A-Gun as they always seem to have the best prices, I trust them and usually give great customer service.
    It came in perfect condition and is a recent serial number / date of manufacture.

I chose this pistol as I wanted a secondary carry as a backup, as well as a more concealable option to my also recently acquired Glock 19 Gen 4 FDE. And IT IS more concealable, for me. I’ve read many different perspectives, experiences, and options on whether or not people feel it is more concealable than a G19. And I understand it varies widely on body type, holster, and carry style... but for me, it hands down is.

FWIW: I’m about an average guy... 5’10” 175lbs

I also wanted the magazine compatibility factor between the Glock 26 and Glock 19, as well as it being almost the same exact platform but in a smaller package so my “manual of arms” would be the same. I did also consider the G43, and that’s a great option as well... but in the end, even after comparing the G43 & G26 in my hands I’m still glad I chose the G26.

Upon receiving it, fit and finish were perfect. And everything functioned properly.
    I had handled a couple different 26’s and a 36 prior to this purchase to make sure I’d be comfortable with a subcompact / 2-finger grip. I wasn’t the biggest fan but it wasn’t unacceptable either. In fact, as it turns out it really fits my hands well, and that bump in the lower part of the 26’s grip lands in the perfect place in my hand. Along with that I made the choice early on based on the I’ll be good with what I train with” principle. I also read a good article explaining the purpose, intent and application of the bump in the G26 grip. This gave me great insight into the G26’s grip and application.

I did my initial cleaning and lube and took it to the range as I could, which ended up taking me a couple days. I was thankful for that though cuz initially I thought it was gonna be weeks until I had the availability and opportunity to shoot it.
    Now let me just say... this thing shoots GREAT. I didn’t know how accurate it would or could be, but more importantly how accurate I could be with it... especially due to that shorter, subcompact grip. This “Baby Glock” shot SO GOOD. In fact, I shot it better first time around than I did with my G19 first time around. Now yes part of that is merely cuz I got the G19 first (a few weeks before the G26) and it was my first Glock, so I was getting used to shooting a Glock and learning it for the first time when I got my 19. So my for fine shooting the G26 had a slight learning curve advantage, but still... I was very impressed.
    I committed to only using the 10 round magazines at first so I could get used to operating a non-full grip pistol, and I did good. It wasn’t until the end of my range session that I decided to test out the G19 mags (15 round magazines) to see how they’d feel for adding grip real estate and to test them & make sure they’d function flawlessly WITH me using it as a grip extender. All 3 G19 magazines performed perfectly.
    After all this I decided I wanted to test some “self defense rounds”, i.e. hollow points. All the range had available was Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain FTX, so I bought a box and loaded up some magazines. Every one of them functioned perfectly. In fact, I never had one single hiccup out of any of the rounds fired this range session, and I expect nothing less for all my future range sessions in the future.

So... what’s my consensus on the Glock 26 / “baby glock”? It’s an absolute winner and truly is the “Perfect Pair” for my Glock 19.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Bean44, Quigley, KWalrad and 45 others like this.
  2. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

3. PocketProtector

PocketProtector

If I could only have one, it would be the G26, for all the reasons you stated

Dcc65, thewalk, Deputydave and 8 others like this.
  4. MajorD

MajorD

I have been around glocks a long time and at one time or another had a 17,22,27,19,26,35. Even compared to the full size guns I shoot the 26 the best. And I agree it does conceal better and is more comfortable to carry and gives up nothing to the bigger guns as far as effectiveness. Some may quibble about the lower mag capacity, but as a civilian I can not envision 11 rounds being adequate to get out of trouble, and I carry a 19 mag as a reload so 36 rounds total. I carried revolvers and 1911’s in the past so do not see a 10+1 gun a handicap at all, especially if it is reliable and I can shoot it accurately

5. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

I bought my G26 a couple years ago to compliment my G19 and ended up liking the G26 so much that it quickly became my EDC.

NYS Ret.5763, Dcc65, ep1208 and 6 others like this.
  6. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance Silver Member

Congrats on your new G26! Nice write-up and I concur with your consensus.

7. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I, too, have a Gen 4-26 and have shot it well. I also have a Gen 4-19, which I shot just a shade better in recent IDPA matches and a GSSF match.

Having a GSSF coupon burning a hole in my pocket, I picked up a G43 the other day and will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. Despite my positive feelings for the G26, if my abilities with the G43 rival the 26, there's a good chance I'll sell the 26.

Why? Because I'm the odd duck on GT; it's not my goal to accumulate handguns. Instead, I'd rather have just two (one would be preferred, but they don't offer a G26 with a frame rail for a high-lumen tac light) Glocks and my Ruger LCP2 when I absolutely have to pocket carry or conceal a small gun in a Smart Carry rig.

Congrats on your initial decisions. You may have just saved yourself a bunch of money experimenting with Glock purchases. Next, buy a bunch of ammo, find the nearest IDPA match and start shooting like you mean it ... by that I mean from behind cover with strong hand and weak hand stages and under the pressure of the clock. From everything I've learned and read, that's how you might survive a gunfight.

Bean44, NYS Ret.5763, twr3cks and 5 others like this.
  8. plumber802

plumber802

Thanks for the write up on your G26.My favorite Glock.

9. gunowner1

gunowner1

You have to match that frame color with nail polish for the lettering.for bling!

SevenSixtyTwo and 007_Bond like this.
  10. Cali.Glock

Cali.Glock

The G26 looks so nice in FDE Gen4. Congratulations!

I've owned several dozen pistols in the last 27 years, mostly modern semi-autos, some classics, some revolvers.

The G26 (and its dark twin, the G27) is in the top 3 "greatest guns I've ever owned."

11. Bradd D

Bradd D

My primary carry.

IMG_2933.JPG

12. 007_Bond

007_Bond

Thanks! I’m very satisfied with this purchase.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  13. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Great write up! I also feel exactly the same.

Could I trouble you please for the reference on the article you mentioned on the bump on the back of the grip and grip shape?

thewalk, SevenSixtyTwo and 007_Bond like this.
  14. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Very fine carry pistol. Wouldn't be without mine. It is surprisingly easy to shoot well with the flush magazines. Glad you are enjoying yours.

15. vba

vba

007;
    You made the right decision between the G43 and G26. I only use my 43 on very hot days and my G26, G30 or G19 the rest of the time.

Same manual of arms for all of them. Back when I used to carry one of my 1911's, but with a poor back I only use them at the range or dresser drawer.

pmorejon and 007_Bond like this.
  16. Karambit777

Karambit777

Congrats on the 26! It’s the most versatile and capable pistol ever designed IMO.

Enjoy.

Dcc65, thewalk, mrmike7189 and 4 others like this.
  17. 007_Bond

007_Bond

Thanks so much everybody. I am very happy with it :)

SevenSixtyTwo and -JCN- like this.
  18. DEM

DEM

Great report. I agree wholeheartedly. My G26 is my only pistol.

19. Michael1989

Michael1989

Congrats on the new addition. I love that FDE.

thewalk, -JCN- and 007_Bond like this.
  20. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Mine rode in my pocket today at work. Nobody was the wiser ;)

SevenSixtyTwo and 007_Bond like this.