The Catcher in the Rye

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by stengun, Jan 29, 2010.

1. stengun

stengun

Howdy Everybody,

I read in the local paper today that J. D. Salinger, who wrote "The Catcher in the Rye" has died at the age of 91.

I was deeply troubled to hear of his passing.

I own 28 copies of his book but i have never read a single word of any of them.

for some unknow reason I am deeply drawn to the book and anytime I go to a book store, like Books-A-Million I have to buy a copy. If for some reason they do not have a copy at the store I have to look for one until I can dind a copy of it. I guess it is some type of obession with the book that I do not understand. About 5 years ago I was at the local county library picking up tax form when I suddenly had the urge to look for a copy of the book. The copy that they had was checked out at the time and since I had already "borrowed" their other copy so I was out of luck. Next, I went to Books-A-Million in Little Rock. No copy there either. I ended up driving all they way to Memphis, TN to get a copy of the book.

I don't know why I am drawn to this book and I have discussed this matter with my shrink at the VA many times without any luck. They have perscribed various meds and these do not seem to help any either.

Lately I have not been as drawn to the book but after reading about Salinger's death I have is overwhelming desire to buy another copy. Bad part is that due to this winter ice/sleet/swon storm, the local library is closed and the roads are too slick to drive to Little Rock so I sit here with 6 copies of the book in my lap as I type this and I have taken all the meds that I dare to take at one time.

I have to go now and check on the other copies of the book.

Paul

2. ms1600

ms1600 Beam me up CLM

Do you also drive a cab?

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

You'll be okay Jerry.

4. GlocksterPaulie

GlocksterPaulie Perfectionist

Talk to a retired "Spook" about the book.

Paulie:upeyes:

5. Jai9100

Jai9100

For some reason, The Catcher In The Rye, was always my favorite, even through I read it for the first time after college. I have 1 copy, but i read it at least every other month.

6. bm1974

bm1974

Great book.
    My favorite line;

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around — nobody big, I mean — except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

7. Remander

Remander

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Mr. Chapman I would have thought after 20 years in lockdown your buying sickness would have stopped. i had read you would buy copies everywhere, didn't believe it until now. Kinda of expensive and weird if you ask me!
    Sorry to hear you are as nuttier as ever. Please stay locked up.

9. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

No. I drive a Ford F-150.:supergrin:

I'm Paul, not Jerry. Wwho's Jerry?

Mr. Chapman is not the only person obsessed with the book. There are alot of us.

Paul