The Bounty

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by axel, Sep 16, 2007.

1. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

by Caroline Alexander.

Incredibly researched with her studying Bligh's formal and personal ship logs. Her premise is that certain family members (not yet exactly sure who but possibly Bligh's and Christian's) had self interests in seeing that history treated the story in their favorable light. She evidently has come upon personal letters writteen by family members to raise the question, "Has history been wrong for 200 years?"

I'm just to the Mutiny so I can't answer any of these questions yet but it is a well written book and she goes to great lenghts to infer what was going through the minds of Bligh and Christian based upon not only their ship's logs but the logs maintained by other officers on the Bounty.

The suvival of Bligh and his men after being cast adrift is an amazing story in itself. Nineteen men in a 23' open boat with enough food and water for 5 days survived for 48 days and traveled 3,618 miles with Bligh navigating from memory without charts and with only a compass, quadrant, and an unreliabe sextant.

It's an excellent book so far.

2. GAC

GAC

I've had this book sitting around for about three years and keep intending to get back to it. I read the first 50 pages or so and the story of Bligh and his loyal crew being set adrift is an adventure story all by itself.

I'd like to find a book about the recent sex crimes trials held in New Zealand of Pitcairn Island residents.

3. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

Finished the book and I have to say she presents some compelling arguments to support her assertion. Definitely worth the read.