Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read Paul Barrett's book, published in 2012 by Broadway Books, NY, about the man and his gun? It is VERY informative. It shows us: how Gaston came up with his design, the prevailing politics of the time, how he grew his radiator factory into a firearm juggernaut, how he came to America (he didn't like Americans according to this...thought we were "stupid"), and a whole lot of other stuff. How he captured the LE market is fascinating. I picked up a copy at Half Price Books in Indiana. If you haven't read this, you need to find a copy! I've got 2 guys wanting to read it after I'm done...should charge rental fees! (the book's ISBN number is 978-0-307-71995-9 if you want to track it down).
Text Poster Publication Book Font

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well written book that's an easy read. As earlier stated, Glock is an extremely intelligent individual with regards of the gun and is a take no prisoners marketing genius. Obviously stomped on a few toes, but took a very queer design and revolutionized the pistol with his striker fired design. Considering everyones recent offerings, striker fired seems to be the direction most of the large manufacturers are headed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good book. I found the internal politics between Glock Austria and Glock USA pretty interesting. Funny that the strippers at the Atlanta Club would drop everything when the Glock guys rolled in with potential clients....

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the book in audio format. I appreciated the detailed back story on Glock history and how their marketing strategy in the US law enforcement community lead to such dominance. Still pretty surprising given the opportunity Smith and Wesson and others had with law enforcement for so many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have the book in audio format. I appreciated the detailed back story on Glock history and how their marketing strategy in the US law enforcement community lead to such dominance. Still pretty surprising given the opportunity Smith and Wesson and others had with law enforcement for so many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Injection molded frame...$0.05 to produce. Metal frame handguns at the time cost over $100 to produce.

Nobody could compete with that...

As long as it worked (which it did...).

Remind me...what was the 1st US Law Enforcement agency to choose the Glock?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I read this book twice and it is on my Kindle. Being a Glock Fan Boy I really enjoyed it. One thing is that Gaston is not a nice person but a business guru. Even you are not into Glocks this is a good read. Regards to all at GT.

Reactions: G19 fan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I
Injection molded frame...$0.05 to produce. Metal frame handguns at the time cost over $100 to produce.

Nobody could compete with that...

As long as it worked (which it did...).

Remind me...what was the 1st US Law Enforcement agency to choose the Glock?
Think it was the St. Paul MN dept. ...

Reactions: Sig M11

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
12,044 Posts
IIRC Paul Barrett posted here at one time.

Reactions: MO Fugga

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
IIRC Paul Barrett posted here at one time.
I think I remember that, too, but I don't have time to search for it.

For those who haven't read it, don't get it expecting a lot of information about guns and shooting. The content focuses far more on personal histories, business practices, and marketing. Some of it is a little gossipy, I thought. Interesting read, though, if kind of light.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
I read it not to long ago, it was enjoyable, but not a book I would recommend to many. Mainly because if your not interested in Glock history it doesn't offer much than entertainment, and there are far more entertaining stories to read.

·
Just pixels
3,122 Posts
Funny that the strippers at the Atlanta Club would drop everything when the Glock guys rolled in with potential clients....
Atlanta is the 90’s was sort of like Miami in the 80’s, San Fran in the 70’s and Chicago in the 30’s. Fast growth, money flowing in, more than a bit shady, and just the right place to be. :dancing:

·
M62/76
13,160 Posts
Picked it up when it came out a few years back. Overall I liked it. Barrett isn’t a “gun-guy” so it made for an easy read (for the average reader, one doesn’t need to be a fanboy or a shooter).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great read.
Not to go off topic... but if you like to read books about Glock...
A guy I know, Stanley, who owns a bunch ofGlocks, allowed Robert Sadowski ,a gun writer to photo document his collection and pick his brain about Glock History over the course of a few visits to his house a few years ago and it looks like the publisher is going to release the book soon.
Stanley has a phenomenal collection, and he is including his “matrix” of alphanumeric starting serial numbers for older Glocks by Generation, etc. Sadowski writes pretty well so I think it can be a decent book at a minimum.
It’s available for pre order on Amazon now. Not sure what forum policy is for posting links so mod please delete if not supposed to post links.
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Glock-Comprehensive-Americas-Popular/dp/1510716025

Reactions: Quade

·
Elite Member
6,661 Posts
I'm reading it now. Got it for Christmas and have been reading a chapter here and there. I find it fascinating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts