close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The body armor thread..

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Rabbi, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Whacha' got?

What have you tried? Throughts?

2. gunreviewonmyspace

gunreviewonmyspace havegunwillgo

I don't like soft body armor. Especially with the amount of AP rds available today, and the number of bgs using long arms. Seems like a waste of weight and sweat to me. I prefer, and often use, sapi plates.

3. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

I have a new vest from ArmorShield Level III

Haven't heard a whole lot about them and wonder if anyone here is familiar with this vest?

I have the factory soft pad and a Safariland plate in the trauma pocket.
    I will say this, it is the first vest I have ever owned that was correctly fitted to my body and doesn't rub me raw.

I know I post this often but it is worth while and works, I have a Sham Wow absorbent towel cut to the pattern of the panels that fits between the panels and the carrier to wick sweat away from my body and through the Dry-Star t-shirt and absorbs it. That along with the synthetic tee-shirt keeps me dry and cool in the summer and dry and warm in the winter.

4. PTRJason

PTRJason

I wear a US Armor Enforcer XT or XLT whatever it is. Its about 4 years old so I am starting to look at other vests now for next year. Only thing that sucks is it was purchased by one of my old departments when they made vests mandatory, they footed the money, then we had to pay like 50-full amount out of the paycheck, so you did not see the hit of spending a 1000 on a vest. Now I have to buy my next on my own :(

In the past I have had a Galls Gold, was bought new in 01, and expired when I got the US Armor, but I keep forgetting it when I go shooting, I want to see how well it holds up. I would donate it, but I dont trust it like I used to, so I would not feel comfortable giving it away for someone else to use.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Usually never wore it. As an FTO I figured I'd keep the PPO between me and the threat. If PPO is wearing say level IIA and I am behind him its almost as if I am wearing a level IV AA squared...

6. Horror

Horror Polizei

I have a Bonowi Level IIIA stab and ballistic vest.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

US Armor Enforcer Classic (100% woven Kevlar), i cant see getting anything else considering how the other makers are using plastics to dont hold up over time...

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Some whiz-band US Armor IIIa. I had to pay extra for IIIa over II.

9. JBaird22

JBaird22

I wear a paca IIa job that does well. Its almost expired and I am about the only one that hasn't had theirs curl at the bottom.

I also wore a Safariland IIIA when I first started and it worked well. It was about 8 years ago and then it was thick but I felt safe behind it.

10. CW Mock

CW Mock

Same here, US Armor IIIA with a titanium plate, and a soft plate in front of that. Cost a little more, but its 10X more comfortable than my old armor at the College, and 100X more comfortable than being shot.

11. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

12. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

You patrol with SAPI plates on, huh? Neat. Duct tape them on? :whistling:

13. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

And to the question - we've always used Second Chance Monarch vests as long as I've worked at my PD. I like them - I think - they're all I've ever known for concealable vests, so they seem "right" to me.

Our tac team uses ProTech vests - I got a Diamondback Tactical vest when I was doing dope work - these are also big entry type vests. Again, never thought about whether I liked them or not - they serve a purpose, and I wore them when needed.

I now carry a plate carrier in the trunk and a PASGT helmet as an "active shooter" kit.

14. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

What do you guys think about Point Blank?

15. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

PACA NC2+ - Had this my first few years and in the academy. It was thick, but comfortable.

Pinnacle Armor S2000 - Very flexible, but didn't wear it because it was thick. Didn't care for the carrier either.

US Armor V-Zero - Very flexible and comfortable. It was hot because it was so form fitting.

Second Chance Ultima - Very comfortable... until the zylon controversy exposed it.

Second Chance Monarch Summit - This one saved me from a .45 to the gut. Enough said.

PACA RTGH - Good fit, thin for a 3A.

ABA Xtreme XT - Too stiff. Don't care for the cut of the rear panel.

Point Blank Vision - Good cut, good coverage. Very comfortable.

Second Chance T2 - My current vest. Very comfortable. Great for hot days. Most comfortable vest next to the Ultima

Protech Rapid Response F1 (PT100) - Current tac-vest. Good coverage. Just don't like the ballistic package due to weight.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  16. ryanm

ryanm

I've had 2 different point blank vests since about 2004 (maybe 2005). the first was a level II. Very comfortable and fairly light. The newer one is a IIIa, i think. Not nearly as flexible but not nearly as heavy as some I've seen.
    I'm pretty happy with them.

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

1. I shot a dozen .40 FMJ rounds at point-blank range into a six or seven year old ABA Xtreme IIIA - it's made with laminates - and there was not a single failure.

2. How many times has a non-Zylon vest ever failed to stop a round for which it was rated?

18. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Gator Hawk somethin-er-other with a Protech Impac ST plate in front of a soft kevlar pack. Relatively comfortable, if cut just a touch too long (curls at the bottom). Not a huge fan of the carrier, either, but it works.

Haven't put the vest to any kind of test other than a couple punches and a heel kick during a few fights. Seemed to handle those well, tho. :supergrin:

In my Active Shooter bag, I've got an Armor Express HARD B.A.L. carrier with Level IV SAPI plates. Now THAT, on top of all the other garbage I have on, makes me feel like (and move about as fast as) a tank!

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Currently on my second ABA Xtreme. Previously I've had a Blauer (back in the mid-80s in my security guard days), Point Blank all-woven, ABA standard-model woven-type, and Second Chance Monarch. Of the bunch, the Xtreme is the most comfortable I've worn, and had the most durable straps on the carrier.

20. EA Sports

EA Sports

ABA Xtreme IIIA in the Tactical Outer Carrier

[​IMG]

Absolutly love the external carrier!