Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > The bloodiest single day in American history: 158 years ago today

The bloodiest single day in American history: 158 years ago today

1. The Battle of Antietam (Sharpsburg)

2. My great-great-great(?) grandfather was a private with the 9th New York (Hawkins Zouaves) and I presume, with them at Antietam that day. He mustered in to Company A, but I am told through family history that he served with Company K, which was a small artillery battery. He survived and mustered out with the unit in 1863.

3. THIS is what happens in a civil war.

4. Most likely my favorite battlefield to visit. Along with Shiloh and Gettysburg. Be well all.

5. Our great, great grandfather was there. 7th Virginia Infantry, Kemper's Brigade, D.R. Jones' Division. He was seventeen and had been in the ranks for about a year. The 7th was on the Confederate extreme right and the O.R. states that they "were not seriously engaged" on September 17. There was a many a good lad on both side who was "seriously engaged" that day...

We trudge on.

6. I'm sorry. You're just plain wrong!
    According to BLM and Antifa, we have systemic racism and the Civil War was never fought and Blacks are still oppressed and white people are the devil and ....

7. .............

8. Exactly! It's, like, the most white privilege thing ever to be rational! Why, it's a disgrace!

9. Did a "Staff Ride" when stationed up there. Amazing experience. Humbling....

10. I have at least 7 relatives that I can document who fought in the Union Army. All Scots-Irish Tennessee mountain folk.

I understand I may have more who served in the New York Irish Brigade but I can't yet prove that.

My grandmother used to tell me stories told to her by her grandmother of what it was like in East Tennessee during the Civil War.

Please God, don't let this happen again.

WT
    Member. Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

11. What were Union soldiers fighting and dying for?

12. mmmm.............for hating Johnny Reb and his different views and him speaking American while the Yankees spoke "English"

13. For anyone interested, I highly recommend Stephen Sears' book Landscape Turned Red.

14. Based on current events, wrong side won.
    :)

15. I really thought this thread might make it to the second page before the inevitable ****posting and derailment.

16. Well you are half wrong. Small minds discuss persons. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas.

17. I love to visit places like these, but I don’t foresee ever going to Maryland.

18. Using slogans of such nature indicates no mind.
    Thanks for not playing.

19. Wednesday Bloody Wednesday.

20. The man that was the father to the woman that would have been my great grand mother served in the Illinois infantry as I recall. (She was the first wife of my great grand father and she was killed when drug by an oxen)

21. Historian Shelby Foote quoted a Southern prisoner of war who was asked: "Why are the southern soldiers fighting? His reply? "Because you're down here!"

Time sure does change the course of history.

Flash

22. For Federal oppression of the States.

23. No.

24. Yes!

25. I would imagine most Southern soldiers were fighting because their lands were being invaded by an army sent by a Tyrant.

26. Scamp57 said:
    What were Union soldiers fighting and dying for?

It's simple question. No one has even attempted to answer.

27. Good to avoid Maryland, generally speaking. But...it's a couple of miles into Maryland from the West Virginia border, so you may consider scooting in to see the park and right back out again. That part of Maryland is a bit different than the DC suburbs or Baltimore area. It is a beautiful and informative park, and the cemetery there is a very solemn, impressive place. After visiting, you can quickly scoot east or west a few miles, and cross the Potomac into Harper's Ferry or Shepherdstown. Once back in West Virginia your rights will be respected and you can rinse of the Maryland Scum.

28. I wonder if the couple million soldiers who fought for Lincoln's army could see the sad state of affairs today, would they be rolling over in their graves, or spinning?

29. No, unless you were in favor of slavery.

30. Guys , just stop . Don't go down that road .

31. Been there and hiked the whole area many times. I've told this story here before, but it's on topic (kinda) so ... Went on a BSA weekend camporee at Antietam around 1981 or 82. I was first class or star at that point, not a noob anymore. IIRC this was a fall camporee involving three counties, so at least two dozen troops camped out in a field above Burnside's Bridge. Our sister troop (both sponsored by affiliated churches) had a new kid, just got his Tenderfoot and never been camping before. He got sent on the left-handed smoke shifter hunt to-end-all left-handed smoke shifter hunts. Off into the night, he went troop to troop asking. We were all sitting around the fire and not even thinking about him anymore when this big ruckus started up in the common circle area in the middle of the field around which all the troops had set up camp. About 9-10 boys had decided to run the smoke shifter kid down and give him a wedgie ... a wedgie so bad they actually tore his underwear off him. Might've lost a ball I dunno, they took him to the hospital. That's the last we ever saw of him.

32. I find it hard to believe that many people have no idea that the Union also had slavery during the Civil War. But I guess Northern schools don't teach that?

33. You didn't ask me that. Don't assume.

34. The Union States of Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and New Jersey had slavery during the Civil War. But Yankees don't mention that, it would make them look like hypocrites. Even the Tyrant Lincoln said these States could keep slavery as long as they stayed loyal to the Union.

35. There were a lot of "indentured servants" in the North at that time as well.

36. Yo have a very false interpretation of history. In 1860, new Jersey had 18 slaves. The others were border states which Lincoln needed to help keep the Union intact. Big deal. Before the war ended, Lincoln pushed for a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery. It was approved by congress 4 months before Lincoln was killed.

37. Interesting question...I went to school in Illinois and was taught something very different from what I learned while living in Texas for 20 years.

38. I’ve had the honor to tour Antietam. As with so many battlefields, somber, hallowed and reverend grounds. God bless all who fought on that day.

39. The fighting in the "cornfield" was so brutal that it wiped entire regiments out and you could reportedly walk from one side to the other without stepping on the ground afterwards.

40. In a few months I'm going to visit a few battlefields.

41. 70DD4241-4105-406B-A4EA-BBDCE69DEA64.jpeg Been there, and visited Gettysburg Just two weeks ago, this guy, CPL George William Forrester 14th Brooklyn was there too, only he didn’t make it back.
    He is still there now.

42. For those that don't learn from history must repeat it . Looks like that is where we are going . GOD help us .

43. You are very simple minded!

44. It took the ratification of the 13th Amendment to finally free the last of the Union held slaves. And the first vote, NJ voted No. They only had a few slaves remaining but they sure as hell did not want to free them. Maybe they had a vision of like, what could go wrong. Union States KY and DE had more slaves and they also voted No.
    Lincoln's Presidency was terminated on April 15, 1865. The ratification of the 13th Amendment was December 6, 1865.

Why the big cover up to hide the fact that the North had slavery for 200 years, dating back to the colonial period and lasting until well after the Civil War was over? Why do pro Union fans love to say the war was to free the slaves? Yea right, to free the slaves of the Southern Confederacy while they kept their own slaves. Define hypocrisy.

Now really, who has a "false interpretation of history"?

45. The initial purpose of the war was to keep the States in the Union, not to free the slaves.

46. No, I just know history.

47. BS

48. Yes this is true. Lincoln said his war was to preserve the Union. But after a couple hundred thousand Union soldiers were dead, the Northern people started to lose interest in having their men and boys killed in Lincolns war. He needed something more compelling to keep the population support of his invasion. So he suckered them into fighting and dying even more by saying now the war is to free the slaves.

49. Lincoln, in his first inaugural address, stated emphatically that he had "...no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."