The bloodiest single day in American history: 158 years ago today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jmontgomery, Sep 17, 2020.

1. tlnargi

tlnargi

I think Lee would have destroyed him. Meade couldn’t really get Lee after Gettysburg, and after Antietam Lee still had his best generals ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmontgomery likes this.
  2. Detectorist

Detectorist

If he were a better General, the war would have lasted less than 2 years. Unfortunately, Lincoln couldn't really fire him due to McClellan's political allies.

jmontgomery likes this.

3. tlnargi

tlnargi

Little Mac was an excellent QUARTERMASTER.
    Without his early organization and securing of supplies and training, I don’t think Grant ends Lee in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WT and clancy like this.
  4. Bradley T

Bradley T

Been a long time, but I seem to remember reading something about the strength and positioning of Union forces where such that just a couple of correct operational decisions made by Union High Command (McClellan?) very probably would have sealed the Army Of Virginia up in an encirclement they'd have never got out of. Might have all but ended it right there in '62.
    You know "Hindsight..."

5. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

1860 census.jpg

6. Bradley T

Bradley T

Hard to imagine 22,000+ American casualties in one day, but we may just beat that record if people don't stop being led to this end by the danged news media. Free speech is becoming a curse, friends.
    I go through it every single day: news reports, comments on news reports, political cause-and-effect of news reports, isolation with news reports, righteous anger at news reports....all the what if's and why for's. We're in a pressure cooker ready to blow, but if we all just turn it off for a day, we might have something different and better the next day! I really think everyone is reacting to the same thing in different ways. We should all just take a day off. A one day break in the cycle might save us. No news, no hanging some stringy mess around my ears- just a normal 2019 day again. God, I miss life before all this fake drama! Please let us have it back.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Jbritt likes this.
  7. clancy

Had the South not seceded, Lincoln would not have, because he could not, do anything about slavery where it already existed. Stephen Douglas ruined whatever chance of getting the South's backing for his run for the presidency when he said he was in favor of popular sovereignty, meaning any state entering the union, regardless of where it was in relation to the Mason-Dixon Line, would make it's own decision regarding whether it would be a slave or free state. That is something the plantation owners in the south would not tolerate.

The South seceded not because of taxes, but to preserve the lifestyle of the rich plantation owners. They needed slavery to preserve their way of life. They were as close to an aristocracy as this country has yet seen. Hence the attempts to take over Nicaragua and Cuba, and talk of conquering Mexico, to increase the number of states below the Mason-Dixon Line and not only maintaining, but increasing their power on Congress. Have you read any of the church sermons from the ante-bellum South? Any newspaper articles, political speeches? I have read quite a few, and not once have I read anything that said the south should secede because of taxes, but to preserve slavery. In many Southern states it was illegal for a newspaper to publish an anti-slavery article. The Confederate Constitution even made it against the law to outlaw slavery. It was guaranteed to exist in perpetuity.

Had Bell, Breckenridge or even Douglas been elected president instead of Lincoln secession would not have happened, and the war, which was fought to preserve the union, would not have taken place. Even with Lincoln as president, had he not called South Carolina's bluff and withdrew the garrison at Fort Sumter instead of trying to resupply it(after all, it was a humanitarian mission that was sent to Sumter, to bring badly needed food to soldiers at the edge of starvation, hardly a shining moment for the south for firing on it) cooler heads would have most likely have prevailed and war could have been avoided.

8. clancy

7/1/1916, the British lost over 60,000 dead and wounded in one day at the Somme.

9. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Neither did Gen. McClellan. ;)

Detectorist and jstrange like this.
  10. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

I’ll note that it’s the most compact of the “famous” WBS battlefields, and can be viewed in one day without feeling rushed.

11. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

12. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Lots of people suggesting altogether avoiding MD

As a resident/subject I AGREE !!!!

13. Church Key

Church Key

Antietam has a memorial about the end of November called the "Illumination" where the Boy Scouts light 23,000 candles in paper bags and line the roads in the battlefield with them. You drive through the park with your headlights off. Done it several times; extremely moving. Also have biked through the battlefield multiple times. The Burnside bridge fiasco was probably due to target fixation as the creek was only several feet deep just down from the bridge. War is very difficult, but second guessing is easy.

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

A bit off topic question for the history buffs here. Did the draft extend out to the territories?

15. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

It's a bull**** "question" designed to troll. You and everyone else damn well knows it.