GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
The draw and time limit are the killers.
I think center punching the wood is required to drive it straight back. An edge hit will probably just spin it in the bucket.
Making a center hit at 50 feet is tough enough without the draw and time limit.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
This sound a lot like shooting bowling pins only different and more effort to set up.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I'd hit it real low and shove it feet first thought the threshold. Might even carom the bullet off the ground just in front of it. I'm not so sure I'd go heavier with the bullet. It's not a bowling pin, you're not trying impart glance energy.
At the local 50 yd range, 185 grain bullets bounce the plate more than 230 grainers.

I don't know though, I'm pretty good at getting things backwards.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I would try that challenge at the start of every day if I was allowed to, and I realize I would wash a lot of dishes, but that’s a good gig for the millions I would rake in each year from the dozens of successful attempts over a year. (Just a guess)

From the pistols I have, I would go with the bone-stock Gen3 Glock22 and load them up with heavy, slow bullets, at least 200gr.

This sounds like a perfect Monthly GT Challenge. Perhaps just see how many attempts it takes to complete with each gun. It’s a bit complicated to set up, but it shouldn’t require us to burn up too much ammo.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Even if I only had one crack at it, I would try. The payout for this seemingly low percentage shot is way greater than the price of losing times the number of tries it might take to win. Yes you only get one shot at this bet, but if you always take bets like these, you’ll come out ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The perfect cartridge for this would be the 480 Ruger with a 405 grain WFN doing maybe 900 fps. I've needed an excuse to buy an Alaskan and this might be it!!

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My Ruger Alaskan says “hold my iced tea, I’ve got this”

Reactions: R_P_K_

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When I was thinking about this challenge, I checked to see if an 8" block of wood would fit in the mouth of a five gallon bucket. I neglected to check whether or not the block would fit through the bottom of the bucket.

Update: The interior diameter of the bottom of the bucket is about 10". The block can slide out with room to spare, but I imagine that an off-center shot could easily bounce the block around inside the bucket instead of pushing it out.

JCN, you are my hero. You are both a go-getter and a man of science. Now we just need someone else to step up with the $100,000 prize money. :number1:

·
Scottish Member
11,220 Posts
I will bring regular target 45ACP as well, but I was thinking that the rounds would embed in the wood block rather than explode it. We will see!

I'm going to try it tomorrow because I'm curious. I Googled the dimensions of a 5 gallon bucket and looks like 10.3" at the base so an 8" tall 4x4 won't topple, it'll slide. Since it'll only be sitting on a fairly slippery bucket at two small points of contact like rails if you hit pretty close to the middle of the block or just under middle it should slide through.

EDIT: made a Home Depot run....

View attachment 835224
For those of you who wonder what 8” 4x4 looks like in a 5 gallon bucket mouth.

View attachment 835226

EDIT EDIT:
@OdinIII looking at it, I might use my Limited TSO with the Syntech 40SW 205gr going 860fps.

Sawzalls rule.
View attachment 835312
Makita - nice saw. My choice as well.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
889 Posts

Smith 25-7 in .45 Colt with either a 225gr wadcutter or 255gr SWC.

Other choice would be my 629 3” with a wadcutter or wide meplat SWC.

·
AAAMAD
30,420 Posts
The perfect cartridge for this would be the 480 Ruger with a 405 grain WFN doing maybe 900 fps. I've needed an excuse to buy an Alaskan and this might be it!!

It’s just too bad they don’t make the 5” Talo exclusive 454 in 480.

Then you could ream the cylinder to 475 Linebaugh like I did my Bisley.

As it stands, I had to go through Bowen to get a 475 double action.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
It’s just too bad they don’t make the 5” Talo exclusive 454 in 480.

Then you could ream the cylinder to 475 Linebaugh like I did my Bisley.

As it stands, I had to go through Bowen to get a 475 double action.
I'd like to see that 5" in 44mag as well.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Some are questioning if it could be done. I did a lot of pin shoots back in the 80's. It can be done.

Side note: I think some posters in this thread are getting away from the IDPA-legal aspect in their gun choices. It has to fit in a 6" x 8.75" box.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts

Smith 25-7 in .45 Colt with either a 225gr wadcutter or 255gr SWC.

Other choice would be my 629 3” with a wadcutter or wide meplat SWC.

Very, very nice pistolas.

Oh, and would be great for the task at hand.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts