GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine the following scenario:
(This going to be a little long because I want to be detailed enough to eliminate the otherwise inevitable "It depends" responses.)

You meet another shooting enthusiast who turns out to be both very wealthy and rather eccentric. He offers you a challenge as an opportunity to demonstrate your skill and possibly win a lot of money.

The challenge is to use a single shot from a handgun to knock a wooden block through an ordinary 5 gallon plastic bucket. You get to take this challenge outdoors in perfect shooting conditions.

The block is an 8" long piece of 4x4 lumber standing on end at the mouth of the bucket. The bucket has had its bottom cut out and is lying on its side, mouth facing you, securely fastened to a 4' tall tree stump.

You will be standing in a 3' by 3' square which you cannot leave during the challenge. The block in the bucket is 50' away.

You can use any handgun which you currently own. The handgun will be loaded with a single round of your choice. At the start of the challenge, the handgun must be in an IDPA-approved holster on your belt. (Note: This limits you to pistols for which IDPA-approved holsters are currently available. Getting a custom holster made for something like a T/C Contender is not allowed.) You will have both hands raised above your shoulders until the shot timer beeps.

When the timer beeps, you will have 5 seconds to draw the pistol, assume any firing position you choose in the square without the use of artificial support, and fire one round. If that round causes the block to exit the rear of the bucket and fall to the ground, you win. Any other outcome means you lose. If the block breaks, a piece that weighs at least half as much as the original block will count for the win if it exits the rear of the bucket and falls to the ground.

Winning means you get $100,000 in cash, payable immediately. Losing means you have to spend an entire day (of your choice, during the following month) washing dishes at a local diner.

Would you accept this challenge?

If so, what would be your choice of gun and ammo?

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts
Of what I own, it would have to be my .357 686. 5 seconds is enough time to aim, cock and fire I think. Actually cock on the draw.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Uberti 44 Magnum single action

Oops... crossdraw rig is probably not IDPA approved. Too bad, I'm using it anyway. I'm not responsible for other people's poor taste.

·
Registered
19,532 Posts
686 would work. Something that shoots a heavy bullet would be my choice

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
Sounds way too hard and complicated for me, I'll pass.

·
Director of civil unrest
8,615 Posts
I kind of want to try this.

I might pick either my SW 66 (4”) in 357 magnum with a hollow point or possibly a 1911 with +P HST.
No, no, no!! All too fast! You want to pooosh the block through the bucket, not explode it.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
My 10mm 1911 loaded with my HD Hornady XTP 180 gr, 556 ft-lb, 1180 ft/sec.

IMG_20200318_130506.jpg

·
real dogs
1,943 Posts
Dont know if the Redhawk qualifies or an Uncle Henry's holster, but the 45C with a 325 or 340gr SWC soft lead bullet at a tad under 1000 should scoot that square bowling pin a fairways out of the bucket.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Can that be done? I haven't shot alot of 8" 4x4s, in fact none, but getting it to fall backwards the length of a 5 gallon bucket with 1 handgun shot seems a tall order. Perhaps folks with some bowling pin experience may have some insight.

I'd assume something big and heavy, maybe a 300gr .45 slug? I want to see someone do this.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
No, no, no!! All too fast! You want to pooosh the block through the bucket, not explode it.
I will bring regular target 45ACP as well, but I was thinking that the rounds would embed in the wood block rather than explode it. We will see!

Can that be done? I haven't shot alot of 8" 4x4s, in fact none, but getting it to fall backwards the length of a 5 gallon bucket with 1 handgun shot seems a tall order. Perhaps folks with some bowling pin experience may have some insight.

I'd assume something big and heavy, maybe a 300gr .45 slug? I want to see someone do this.
I'm going to try it tomorrow because I'm curious. I Googled the dimensions of a 5 gallon bucket and looks like 10.3" at the base so an 8" tall 4x4 won't topple, it'll slide. Since it'll only be sitting on a fairly slippery bucket at two small points of contact like rails if you hit pretty close to the middle of the block or just under middle it should slide through.

EDIT: made a Home Depot run....

99FE3576-182B-4DC9-9320-CD0E9D15DD4F.jpeg

For those of you who wonder what 8” 4x4 looks like in a 5 gallon bucket mouth.

8E94172C-341D-4168-9F50-48BEC722C87E.jpeg

EDIT EDIT:
@OdinIII looking at it, I might use my Limited TSO with the Syntech 40SW 205gr going 860fps.

Sawzalls rule.
E6053053-62CE-4AA0-B2F6-08F19D2A89B7.jpeg

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I am in! I have no idea if it can be done, or if I could do it, but I am betting one day of doing dishes for a chance at $100,000?!? You bet!!!

Of the guns I have, I am going to go with my G20 (I don't shoot IDPA, but a quick glance shows one exists, correct me if I am wrong). The round will be a 220 gr. Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

Can I ask for that piece of 4x4 to be kiln dried (and NOT pressure treated lumber)? I want it nice and dry and very light (hopefully if it shatters, at least half blasts out the back of the bucket!).

Oh, and minor rule request... we weigh the piece of wood prior, and if what is left in the bucket is less than half (even if the half that exits does so in the form of unrecovered dust and splinters), it counts as a win, and we start making wire transfer arrangements!

·
Western Pa
4,140 Posts
I don't know about the holster requirements, but I would use my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with my 255 grain lead Semi Wadcutter bullet. Nice and slow around 850fps.

As a previous poster said, I'd take almost any challenge if the upside was 100k. And the downside was only washing dishes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts