The Best Thing About Milt Sparks...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Goldendog Redux, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

...is that they take forever to make your stuff and they don't charge till they ship. Plenty of time to collect aluminum cans to pay for it.

:wow:
    [​IMG]

I ordered a VMII and mag pouch for my LC9 a belt and an Axiom OWB and double mag pouch for my Commander.

The VMII seems like a lot of IWB holster for such a small gun but I have a VMII for my Smith 642 and my Commander and I have not found a better IWB.

I have been wearing the same Kramer belt forever and it is beat to hell.

MF

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Get back to us in six months and let use know how you like it all!

3. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

It was a lot easier to collect big bags of aluminum cans 20 years ago. Beer was cheaper.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

You know, I have a VMII for my carry 1911 and it is an awesome holster. I also have a Comp-Tac Minotaur for an XD and it's just as comfortable. The difference is you can wait 6 months or 6 days for a holster. You decide.

I think Tony and those folks at Milt Sparks have a great product but I cannot for the life of me figure out why he wouldn't try to find a way to ramp up production. All I can assume is that he doesn't care. Fine by me...I can shop elsewhere and that's what I have done and have no regrets.

Anyone want a VMII for a 4" 1911 w/o rail? $250 and it's yours...shipped and insured.

Greg

5. Firebob2917

Firebob2917 Forgiven

Placed the order on Monday for my vmII for my G 23 gen4 and one Mag holder. So looks like we are in the same boat. Went on a road trip and have not been home to check the mail.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil

Love my Milt Sparks gear (cordovan and black VMII and double mag carrier for my 92FS). The holster and mag carrier were ordered about five years apart, wait was about 6 months each time.

[​IMG]

7. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I have a Milt Sparks holster on my to-buy list.

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

He's a member here. I got into a tet-a-tet with him suggesting he raise prices to thin out the herd a bit. He objected.

We swapped PMs and made nice (read: I apologized) and I'm the proud owner of several of his pieces.

......but I bought them on ebay.

9. 4Rules

4Rules

I had a similar conversation with another holster maker whose order sheet was about one year behind. At the time, it just seemed logical to me that, whereas demand was high, he deserved to make more money. He explained that his interest was in putting his product into the hands of the good guy who needed it and would use it - especially cops - and that these good guys - especially cops - do not earn a lot of money. It was more important to him that his product remain affordable to the good guys who would actually use it than it was to make more money.

That kind of dedication to his craft impressed me deeply, and it makes me feel a lot better about a waiting period of a year or so.

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

It's because he's smart, far too many companies have had quality go down down the toilet because some bean counter thought they should "ramp up production" :upeyes:

11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I would buy a VMII all over again and twice on Sunday because I think they are that good. I have no doubt there are other leather smiths who make exceptional products and someday I will have some of their stuff.

My order is pushing 5 bills but that is basically for two rigs so I am OK with it. I wish Sparks made a darn cuff case though.:cool:

MF

12. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Tony Kanaley and his crew are amongst the most ethical people I have ever done business with.

They make a great product (FAR SUPERIOR to the other crap that looks like kydex attached to a cut out pizza box) and refuse the temptation to cash in on their popularity by either raising prices or lowering build quality.

They are the definition of CRAFTSMEN. Their products ride on my hip daily.

Words are cheap; I support them with my wallet.

BTW I have a Comp Tac holster that SCRATCHED two of my 1911's severely for sale if anyone is interested. The company told me to pound sand when I contacted them about it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  13. certifiedfunds

There is nothing unethical about raising prices to match demand, thereby reducing the wait.

14. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

It is when you are pricing police officers out of the market.

They're the ones that protect you and your family. They deserve quality gear at affordable prices.

YMMV

15. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Their ethics also extend beyond pricing. As the OP noted they don't charge until the product is shipped.

Can't say the same about other makers. I just had a falling out with Kramer over that exact issue. They quoted a four month lead time and charged the card the day after the order was placed.

That was cancelled quickly and is yet another reason I do business with Tony.

16. certifiedfunds

Oh baloney.

It's his company and I respect his position on this. I own several of his hosters too but I buy on ebay because I don't want to wait. So, in essence, I pay someone else to wait for me.

17. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

:upeyes: yeah, because they're making Rolls Royces, right. It's a holster for Pete's sake. When I say "ramp up" I guess I mean he could do something to churn out another 5 or so a week and probably cut the wait time down to 16 weeks instead of 20. I doubt the quality would suffer if it were done right.

Look, I don't care...it's his company. I've decided to take another route. If someone wants one and doesn't mind waiting, OK. I was simply offering a solution that, if I were in his same shoes, I'd take.

Greg

18. okie

okie GT Mayor

I sure like my Seth's Wraith IWB:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Milt Sparks products may be slow to ship, but their prices are ridiculously good for the quality of the products.

Of course if you were a Boisean, you can stop by their shop and prowl the dark tunnels for trade secrets and get to pick out choice cuts of leathers for your holsters. Hehe.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's sooooo easy to just snap your fingers and experienced saddlers just show up to work, huh?:upeyes: