The best grills of 2019:

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Aug 12, 2019.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  2. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I was expecting...
    [​IMG]

tom. :whistling:

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry

I've had that Dyna-Glo Smart Space Living 3 burner unit for the better part of 2 years, and I gotta say it's really kind of a crappy grill. Specifically, it just cooks terribly unevenly, but that's enough to sink my review. I swear I can only use the back left quadrant to get anything cooked.

Rawah likes this.
  4. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

My 20+ year old Weber Genesis two burner still lights on the first click. The ol WeberQ 120 is great for camping.

Rawah, Green Dragoon and Joshhtn like this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I too got excited as I am contemplating a new grill for the new house.

Most recently I have gone back to charcoal and a simple Weber. The built in Wolf NG grill in the old house is clean and the house is sold, so I got a little Weber charcoal to use until the move.

I fell back in love with charcoal grilling and now might just skip the new big old gas grill and go charcoal at the new place.

I have been researching charcoal and wood pellet, so when I saw the thread, got all excited. :(

Right now, those Green Egg things seem pretty cool (actually looking at the Home Depot Vision Series of the Komado style). I love the heat range and precise control of the charcoal. I made some BBQ's ribs on saturday with my cheapo Weber kettle, best ribs I have made in decades.

G19 DB, Rawah and Green Dragoon like this.
  6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I have a Weber propane and it’s pretty sweet but I’m looking at getting a pellet smoker/grill.

Rawah, Green Dragoon and WeeWilly like this.
  7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
  8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I did propane for about 15 years and then plumbed NG when we moved to this place. It had been a long time since I did charcoal. It does take a little more time with charcoal, a little more muss and fuss, but the results, wow, no comparison. I did ribs Saturday and Rib Eye's on Sunday. Two completely different approaches, perfect results. So I am really thinking I am probably going back.

Rawah likes this.
  9. bucky_925

bucky_925

Since retiring I have taken over the cooking. In an average week I cook outside at least 4 days. My grill of choice is the Big Green Eggs. They are very versatile. Grill, smoke, BBQ, bake, sear ect...

Rawah, syntaxerrorsix and WeeWilly like this.
  10. pugman

pugman

Not that I would buy one today but my 12 year old Kenmore cooks just fine.

As for "best grill" when it comes to gas I don't get it. Tank, regulator, tube, igniter and burners.

How one can be better than the other outside of ease of cleaning and an extra burner is beyond me.

11. toofman

toofman

Traegar smoker grills are all the rage around here. I was a little saddened to hear Holland Grill company is out of business. I have one and love it.

Cmacc likes this.
  12. Neldon

Neldon Hill Country Boy & Proud Navy Veteran. NRA & USCCA

13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

My medium Big Green Egg does it all and is extremely fuel efficient.

Cold smoked mullet and salmon...

[​IMG]

14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I had a long talk with a guy this weekend that has a Traeger wood pellet. He said they work great for everything but really high heat searing.

I was walking along one of the river trails later that day and a guy whose patio abuts the trail had a Traeger and a Green Egg grill, seemed like he had it covered. :)

15. Blaker55

Blaker55

I have a Big Green Egg and love it. But the key to loving it is being able to start it relatively quick. I use one of those big propane weed burner torches. Add my charcoal, shove the lighted torch into the charcoal, let it run for about 5 minutes, put away the torch, open up the bottom intake air all the way and the top exhaust all the way. In about 15 minutes, I usually am around 300 F or there abouts. That weed burner torch is great. I tried the electric element, fire starter squares and other things. Use the torch. It does take some monkeying around to find the sweet spot to maintain your temp by opening and closing the intake and exhaust. But the food results are great.

I also have a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker. I likey.

I do burgers, steak, chicken, brats and such on the Big Green Egg. I do long term smoking like briskets and pork butts on the Green Mountain Pellet grill in confidence that it will hold temp.

Rawah and WeeWilly like this.
  16. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'm no grill expert but I grilled out at a Holiday Inn Express once...

I'm currently using a $700 Vision and it's just meh. The temperature control is not that good but the build quality is very good.

Prior to the Vision, I was using a $300 Akorn which had very precise temperature control and made some unbelievably good food but the build quality was just not there and the grill was falling apart after three years.

Prior to the Akorn, I used a $100 Weber Kettle which was good for any smoking that took less than 8 hours. I could do butts and ribs and never have to refuel. I kinda miss the old Weber.

The moral of this story, at least for me is; money does not buy grilling happiness.

And that's all I have to say about that.

17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

That tracks everything I have learned so far, almost exactly.

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I do have to say, that little $100 Weber kettle has done perfect service so far (two meals, opposite end of the spectrum, searing hear and super slow smoking).

Rawah likes this.
  19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Maybe it's me but I do WAY more smoking than grilling so I really don't care about the speed of lighting but I can get the BGE up to 600F+ in 30 minutes using the wax/cardboard starters or a chimney. The REAL key is making sure you've got good airflow by cleaning out the bottom grate.

20. peng

peng

Regardless of the grill brand, I have been using an IR grill for the last few years and I will never go back.

They have lots of room for error, and the results are juicy with nice grills marks.

They are really just roasting (no direct flame) but with the grill flavor. Yum. If I could finf some charcoal seasoned lava rocks I'd be GTG.

Rawah likes this.