close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The best conversion barrel, bar none, for .40 to 9mm?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PhotoFeller, Jul 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I can't sell my Gen4 model 22 and get what it's worth, so I want to convert to 9mm. Who makes the best conversion barrel, bar none, for this changeover? I'll pay the necessary bucks to get trouble free operation with 9mm.

Are Glock 17 mags what I need to go with the conversion barrel?

I wanted a model 17 when my son talked me into the model 22. I've regretted buying the 22 since day one.

With a top quality barrel and 9mm mags, am I likely to get G17-like performance? I'm hoping to buy one that drops in without any filing or fitting.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

4. Fire_Medic

I provided the link because LW states a lot of info on their page.

KKM, Barsto, LW, Stormlake, to name a few make barrels. You will get praises and anger from different people on all the brands based on their experiences, just like anything else in this world.

Me personally, the (1) KKM barrel I did own once was too tight (chamber) and gave me issues, and me personally, I have NEVER had an issue with any of my LW barrels. (knock on wood)

What I can say is that LW makes an issue right if one arises, and if you reload, you can even send them dummy rounds of your ammo before purchasing the barrel and they will match them up.

I have yet to own a Barsto barrel because they're not cheap (the fitted ones) but I might go out on a limb and lay the cash out for one for my new G20SF, not sure yet.

I have another LW barrel en route for my Gen4 G21, it should be here tomorrow or the next day, I can give you feedback on it after it arrives (if you'd like) as I have some ammo waiting to shoot through it.

I'm sure other folks can chime in with their experiences.

As for Storm Lake, I have not owned one of their barrels either, but the feedback I have seen on them lately is good, it wasn't so great back in '08 when I started reloading.

Good luck
    FM :wavey:

5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Thanks again. I read the LoneWolf site info, and it helped since I'm starting from scratch on conversion decisions.

I want to hear about your experience with the LW barrel thats headed your way.

I take it the Barsto barrels require sending the pistol to them for fitting. Maybe thats worth considering for the best possible performance, even though the price is much higher. I assume Batsto guarantees their work.

6. Fire_Medic

I have never dealt with Barsto personally, but know a few people personally and a forum member or two who have used their barrels. I myself have done many things to a Glock, but fit a barrel is not one of them. I know that they do offer semi fit and match target barrels, and their website says the match target is completely oversized and has to be fit, and that the semi fit works fine as a drop in in 7 out of 10 guns or something like that. Your best bet on Barsto would be to call them directly and talk to them, I might be doing so myself in the next day or so not sure.

Just like I said, I have never had an issue with any of my LW barrels, and I have owned plenty of them because I shoot a lot of lead in my reloads to keep costs down, more so in the larger calibers.

Forum member "Arch Angel" had used Barsto for years and would be a good resource for feedback on their barrels, hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in, if not send him a PM.

I will send you a PM with some feedback on the new LW barrel so you have something recent on them.

:wavey:

7. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Since I will be using only factory loads, is the LoneWolf well suited for good commercial ammo?

I'm thinking I'll call LW tomorrow to find out when their stock will be replenished. It doesn't seem like I can go too wrong given their prices.

8. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

PhotoFeller,
    For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents... I have a G22 Gen2, I use a Lone Wolf conversion barrel, a 17 round G17 mag and a 10 round G17 mag. The barrel has worked flawlessly and I can drive tacks with it in 9mm configuration. Operates just like a G17. I went with the LWD for affordability and it has been just fine. Good luck with your conversion. :wavey:

9. Fire_Medic

I have never had to send them a barrel, was just giving that information to you as it is an option and I did not know whether or not you reload, and even if you do it's not necessary.

Give them a call, as the other forum member posted, affordability and reliability, that's why I keep going back to them.

10. Nanuk

Nanuk

I have a LW for my 23 and it has been flawless and very accurate.

11. tonyparson

tonyparson

You can find new LoneWolf conversion barrels on EBay for real good prices with free shipping..

12. avenues165

avenues165

I have a LW 357 sig barrel for my G24, it is as reliable as my stock .40 s&w barrel. It is more accurate than I am. I intend to buy a LW 40-9mm conversion for my G24 soon.

A lot of people like StormLake and KKM. I have no experience with either types. Some say they are nicer than the LW.

Barsto sounds like a great choice if you have the funds. I think I would have them fit it if I bought a Bar sto barrel.

13. barth

barth six barrels

I have four Storm Lake barrels for my G27.
    G27 40-9mm conversion
    G23 40-9mm conversion
    G23 40
    G27-357 4.16" dual ported black Isonite

They all are drop in.
    Have has zero issues with them with thousands of rounds down range.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  14. 4Rules

4Rules

15. 4Rules

4Rules

16. PM720

PM720

I have

G35 .40 - .357sig
    .40 - 9mm
    G22 .40 - 9mm

All have worked very well so far. I use 10 round G17 mags and the stock .40 extractors with no real issues.

Scott

17. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I wish I could send out individual thanks for the great comments I've received here. Please know I do appreciate your thoughts.

Here's where I'm sitting at this moment: (1) this is my first conversion, so this is a bit of an 'experiment', (2) LW barrels are getting lots of thumbs up from you guys and no negative votes, (3) the competitive cost of LW makes it possible to try one for a while without suffering a terrible loss if it doesn't work out, and (4) the high-rate of 'drop in" success makes it likely mine would work fine right out of the box. So, I'm gonna look for a LW today on eBay and by calling LW.

I am still intrigued by the stainless barrel from StormLake, and I will check out the links you provided, 4Rules. I may order one of these, too, with the idea of keeping the barrel that works best in my G22. SL sounds like a great performer, too.

Am I correct that the G22 recoil spring works with a 9mm barrel? I'm no mechanic, but I thought a spring change would be necessary.

I hope to put lots of 9mm rounds through the 22 conversion, and less expensive range-quality ammo will be desirable sometimes. Can I reasonably expect the lower powered stuff to work 95+% of the time?

Again, thanks. This kind of support makes the journey a lot easier and enjoyable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  18. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

The stock G22 spring does work well with the 9mm conversion. I still have the stock spring & guide rod in mine and have had no problems at all. It wouldn't hurt to change it if you want to, but definitely not necessary. All I did was the barrel and mags and it's been fine.

19. .38 super

.38 super Observer

In regard of being in FL, I live about an hour North from you, in SRQ, I do not keep my guns in cases or anything, they are clean and lubricated half-way from the recommendations in their manuals, my G22 is in the drawer of my night stand. I never had any problems with rust with my Glock or any other gun I owe.

In regard of the LWD 40-9, of course you have the gen4 and my Glock is gen3, but this could help: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18089653&postcount=20

Storm Lake are excellent barrels, but LWD are cheaper and will do the same job IMHO. I personally find their barrels made with very good quality, just check the pictures.

Good luck!

20. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Have you thought of for reliability sake just converting it to a G 17 using factory parts ?
    A 9mm trigger mechanism housing, firing pin,extractor and barrel. Oh I have probably left out a few incidentals but then you for all intensive purposes would have your G 17,using all factory parts. Just food for thought. SJ 40