close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Best Books on Marksmanship...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DakotaGlockGuy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

I was wondering if you could recommend 2 or 3 books/DVD's that REALLY helped your marksmanship improve. I know there are probably a bunch of good ones out there, but I'm looking to get the "Must Read's."

Thanks in advance!

2. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

I don't know of any book on pistol's markmanship, in terms of slowfire, bullseye types of shooting, that I could recommend to you. But, I believe if you could really read them all....this is what they'd say:

1. Sights alignment.
    2. Then focus on the front sight (not the target nor the rear sight).
    3. Control the trigger so that you do not move the front sight.

3. MAXG

MAXG

Brian Eno's book is good. A bit zen. More than a bit actually. Reading it now on Kindle.

MG

4. DocWills

DocWills

Ed Mcgivern, Fastand fancy revolver shooting. Its dated but its about ED ho was a factory shooter for Smith and wesson during the thirties.

Tday he would use glocks.

ed talks basic and advanced skills an how to do stuff.

For example he could fire two guns at multiple different targets movin at different speeds and it them all.
    hisi modern equal is Jerry Micculek.

5. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

The power of your subconscious mind

6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

For Rifle - Look at the CMP DVD's. Good, not great, low priced.

Basic Rifle Marksmanship DVD………………..ITEM # 784DVDBRM $6.95

Close Quarters Marksmanship DVD……….….ITEM # 784DVDCQM $6.95

Squad Designated Marksman DVD………..….ITEM # 784DVDSDM $6.95

Anniston Distribution Center
    Phone: (256) 835-8455
    Fax: (256) 835-3527

Mail & Shipping:
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    1401 Commerce Blvd
    Anniston, Alabama 36207

=====

For pistol -

Look up some of the Todd Jarrett and Clint Smith youtube videos. Most of them are pretty good very inexpensive.

Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight - Andy Stanford

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shooting-High-Speed-Marksmanship/dp/1581601433"]Amazon.com: Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight (9781581601435): Andy Stanford: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qYhQFllCL.@@AMEPARAM@@51qYhQFllCL[/ame]

The Brian Enos book is good - but not basic. It is very "light" on mechanics of pistol shooting, and mostly deals with the mental aspects of shooting and competition.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Fundamentals-Brian-Enos/dp/0962692506/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340203075&sr=1-1&keywords=brian+enos"]Amazon.com: Practical Shooting : Beyond Fundamentals (9780962692505): Brian Enos, Kris Kunkler: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ohfC1CFbL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ohfC1CFbL[/ame]

7. GNiner

GNiner

Try "Modern Handgun Fundamentals: From beginner to Pro" by Brad Engmann. It tells you not only the "hows" but the "whys" for grip, stance, etc. and includes exercises and drills for improving your accuracy, speed, transitions, etc.
    I stumbled on this book after reading a review of it by Ben Stoeger, who happens to be a USPSA National champion. Ben is a no-nonsense book reviewer who has ripped other shooting books and this is one of the few that he liked. I have found it very helpful in a practical way.

8. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Thanks for the input so far!

Basically I'm looking for pistol marksmanship/defense shooting, so anything from competition to tactical is what I'm after.

It seems like there are a lot of great books out there, but I'm sure there are some from the past as well.

Thanks again for the help!