"The benefits of Running"

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by ilocano, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ilocano

ilocano Down Under.

After reading Allegra's comments/suggestions in one of the bog threads abt the benefits of running a couple of weeks ago- i finally decided to give it a try. Read some articles on how to get started, then off-the-road I am.

After 4 weeks, I lost 7 lbs and lost some bulges in the tummy area, i.e. from waist 34 to 32. Ive done badminton and weights, but none of these came close to what running gave me.

Last Sunday, I shot a level 1 match, and true to allegra's words.. "I think"- I am faster this time in long courses, wala na din hingal.

The considerable weight loss, the budding confidence, and all in just 30 mins of running(no more, no less), 4X a week.

Ask ko lang mga fellow bogs who r into running kung pano ang correct and safe way to integrate strength training with running. thanks

2. glck17

glck17

good for you ilocano. nice to hear that running keeps you in shape. well, you can integrate running/cardio training and weights/strength training all together. it will give you better stamina (long courses) and explosive power (short/medium courses). saan level 1 ka pala pumutok?

3. Pepe G Boy

Pepe G Boy

Congratulations, ilocano. Did you have to go on a diet to lose inches on your waist or puro takbo lang? How fast is your pace?

I've been planning to do some running pero and hirap kasi gumising ng maaga. Sa gabi naman, ang sarap kumain!!

4. Allegra

Allegra

Hala! Nakaka addict yan bro! :)

huhuhu ako I gained 5lbs, halos 3 weeks nako hindi nakaktakbo
    tagal gumagaling hip at knee pain bad trip ( overtraining kasi )
    Lakas lamon tuloy hehehe

Ang tamang pace for weight loss is "fast enough for perspiration but slow enough for conversation"

For more info, punta ka sa mga book sale sa malls
    Dami dun bargain books about running mga 100p lang

5. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Change your running shoes every four months, even if you run fewer than 4 times a week and socks with thick heels. I recommend "Thorlo"
    socks.

Happy running.

6. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

If you want to do alot of running then you can forget about getting bulky by weight training. It's because running as you already know, makes you lose weight and adding muscles involves gaining weight.

I run about as often as you do. 4X a week. I limit my weight training to light loads with lots of reps. Medyo nakakahiya sa gym kasi parang girlie workout pero that's what you gotta do. I also do alot of calisthenics. Pero naman, kahit payat ka, tight ang katawan mo. Saka pag napalaban, you can kick em in the nuts and run!

7. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

man, i envy you! i was the one who asked about running and i think i even gained 3 pounds ;) now i know reading tha answers in GT but not doing anything about it won't work ;a

i ahve the same problem as pepegboy, ang hirap gumising sa umaga at ang sarap kumain sa gabi or simply stay in bed holding the tv remote control.

8. Allegra

Allegra

Manong jerry, thorlo's cost 600p here sa rustans huhuhu
    Too rich for my wallet :) especially since my socks tend to mysteriusly disappear sa sampayan namin

Dati I used 90p socks from divisoria, which caused blisters
    fortunately, naging kalyo na :)
    Now I run without any socks on :)

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

sinabi nang ayaw magpatawag ng manong yung matanda e! hmmph! ang titigas naman ng ulo ninyo! ;f

di ba kuya jerry? ;f;f;f

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Yung mga nike o adidas na athletic socks less than P200. Okay at maganda yung ankle support. Pero gamit ko yung 3 for P100 lang na darlington. Kaya dalawa suot ko para maximum padding and support. ;f

11. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Nakakainggit naman kayo at may time kayo mag-exercise. Pero kapag shooting bakit nagagawan ko ng paraan? ;f

Masubukan nga yang running na 'yan, lapit lang naman kami sa UP. Kaya lang sa lapad ng paa ko kapag nag-padded socks pa ako hindi na kasya sa sapatos. ;f

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

dre, dagdagan mo na lang ng dalawa pang layers ng medyas tapos wag ka na mag sapatos. ;f

13. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Ang gusto ko lang talaga makapag-suot ng skimpy running shorts. ;f Would you believe i joined a marathon when i was in high school. ;P

14. ilocano

ilocano Down Under.

glck17: sa Gerona, Tarlac ako pumutok. My shooting buddies and I will be going to Lingayen on Sunday. I bet u'll be there IDOL! :) Nagkita na tayo, I was with Ingemar Cheng the last time, nakahiyaan ko lang lapitaan ka kc lagare ka sa pag RO and pagputok.

Again, i couldn't agree more with sir Allegra- sobrang nakakaadik tumakbo. And yes, he was ryt when he said walang kwenta addidas na running shoes. I bought a pair b4 I got hooked and they seem to have deflated, as in lumubog ang sole, e hindi naman ako ganun kabigat(165lbs)- that in just 4 weeks!

Pepe G boy: Takbong mayaman lang ginagawa ko- not to fast, not to slow. Diets? No way, ang sarap kumain bro. walang diet, just everything in moderation. lalo pa nga ko tumakaw when I started running, cguro nga natutunaw lang sa takbo.

I guess the hardest part of running is STARTING. give it at least two weeks then I'm sure hahanap hanapin na ng katawan nyo.;z

15. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Skimpy shorts? Naku po! Baka 'di lang aso ang hahabol sayo nyan. Mag-ingat sa joklang rapist. Haaay! ;f

16. Allegra

Allegra

hehe ako rin
    Hindi k ata kaya magsuot nung skimpy, parang tumatakbo ng hubo
    In my first race, ako lang ata ang naka hawaian shorts na tumakbo
    Naka cycling shorts nako, kaso ang dami pala ladies, napaka mahiyain ko pa namang tao ( yak! ) kaya suot uli ng shorts :)

Teka, dun sa mag try tumakbo
    Research muna before you try para painless at injury free

17. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

;z ;z

18. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

my 2 cents po: for beginners,forget about the distance first,what matters is time spent running.idol allegra is correct,your pace should be comfortable enough to converse or it should be like you feel you can run the whole day on that pace.warm up by running very slowly or walking and warm down for about 5 mins.30 mins 4x a week is good though you may try to increase it to 40 mins,50 then 1 hr.remember it is better to run 1 hr. 4 x a week that 30 mins 7x a week.allow your body to rest and recuperate.hard/easy routine.hard/hard will lead you to injury.when you are running for more than 4/5 months na,you don't care what you wear anymore coz you will always look good! o di ba?;f i remember running in 1 race with no shirt on,only in,ehem,skimpy shorts with "pentel" markings on my chest "BORN TO RUN" !

19. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

socks : some runners are comfortable with thin ones while others like thick ones for extra cushioning.whatever is comfortable.experiment.wear reflective vest or whatever in low light running times.and drink water!and wear supporter! pogi ka nga haba naman ng b.... mo hehehe;f cheers!

20. Booker3557

Booker3557

FAlvar,

I agree with you to a point, but the idea is not necessarily to lose the weight, but to lose the fat. You can still maintain the same body weight but the key is to lower the fat content of your body. Make your body leaner and with more definition and improve your cardio vascular stamina. It's a good idea to run every other day in order to let your body recover.

You can do other types of exercise aside from running. Depending on your age and physical shape, exercise 3 - 4 times a week and make sure to get to a target heart rate for at least 15 minutes for each session. This is the only way to burn fat. You can exercise longer as you increase your stamina. Don't forget to replenish your body with fluids while running. Sport drinks are recommended but water is fine. Also, stretch while warming up and cooling down.

Stay safe everybody.