The Awesome Maverick 88!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Big Bird, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Laugh all you want. The Maverick 88 is a tremendous value in home defense weapons. I was in Buds in Lexington 3 weeks ago and they had the defense version of the 88 with a 7 shot extended mag tube and tan synthetic stock on sale for $199 and they had a special manufacturers coupon for $20 off on top of that. So for less than $190 with tax I couldn't pass it up. I've heard lots of good things about these value rated shotguns and wanted to see for myself. I don't need another combat shotgun but I like to stash them around the place and had been looking for a police trade in for a particular niche I hadn't filled. This will serve fine.

First....what its not. Its not comparable to my Mossy 590A1, my scattergun tech 870 border patrol, my Benelli M2 SBS or my M4....not even the equal of my Benelli Nova. Those are all great shotguns--with the features and mods that make them exceptional HD weapons. The 88 isn't as smooth out of the box as those guns, and its not as nicely made. The action feels a little sluggish as do ALL Mossberg shotguns out of the box but this will quickly slick up and inside of 500 rounds you will be cussing your 870! :)

The only thing I've done to it is add some self adhesive velcro on the left side of the receiver and slapped a SOE 6 shot shell card on it and for less than $12 and IMO have the best "sidesaddle" you can get for many reasons...and trust me I've had them all...

But what the 88 lacks in refinements it makes up in what it is...a dead nuts reliable bare bones pump shotgun that will not let you down! I've got about 250 shells through mine so far and its a hungry B*tch! It eats everything I've fed it..including the 2.25" herters and rio mini shells (haven't tried Aquila)... With a fixed cylinder bore throws a good pattern for inside the house ranges out to 20 yards. And I've managed to hit the pepper popper at 50 yards with slugs using the bead sight with boring regularity. Haven't shot it farther and don't need to...I won't be sniping at bad guys with slugs... Its meant for 10 feet across the room. It still has the double action bars like its more expensive cousins (though they are pinned directly to the synthetic forend)

I sat at the desk last night and couldn't help smile looking at it thinking it amazing that our sport can produce something so purely reliable and utilitarian for under $200... And lets be honest--there simply is nothing else in a HD arsenal that is so brutally effective as a 12 gauge pump with a load of buckshot...the 2 3/4" load of 00 buckshot is the gold standard of fight stoppers. And it matters not if its delivered with a $10k Krieghoff or a $120 H&R single shot....it just old school tech that works and works REALLY well...

What are the negatives? Well...the safety is a bit stiff to engage. Unlike most mossberg shotguns that have the safety on the rear of the receiver the 88 has a crossbolt safety in front of the triggerguard in the same location you will find on a Beretta, Benelli, and many othr guns. The location doesn't really bother me so much as the stiff function which will presumably ease with time. Truly a minor annoyance. Likewise the trigger assembly is plastic...as are the trigger assemblies on the Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s. That doesn't bother me and it really shouldn't bother anyone. We are on Glocktalk for cripes sakes and most of our favorite handguns all have plastic frames! And I've never heard anyone have a synthetic trigger assembly fail in the middle of a gunfight with an 500 or 870... I've heard of them breaking due to bumbled reassembly when someone strips the gun...but never in use.

The trigger is likewise a little stiff and a tad heavy at 5.7 pounds...but its acceptable for a combat shotgun. Its not a sniper rifle.

The internals--with the exception of the trigger assembly all interchange with ANY Mossberg pump shotgun... So the guts are the same...nice and easy.... I keep a few extra Mossy ejectors in parts stash so I'm covered there...and it only takes a flat head screwdriver and 3 minutes to change one out. As I mentioned above--the forend is unique to the 88 and its easy to see where they cut corners to save money--if it bothers you you can switch out the forend to a 500/590 forend assembly but at around $60 for that part why not just buy the 500 and be done with it and get the better safety position too boot?

The only other mods I'm planning for this shotgun are adding sling studs, swivels and an inexpensive nylon sling for about $24 total. And adding a Wolff extra power mag spring and Vang Comp stainless mag follower--$19 total...but these are mods I make to all my HD shotguns anyhow...

So here's what I'm going to tell you... would I buy another 88? Oh hell yeah... I can't tell you how pleased at the value this sub $200 shotgun represents. If you aren't a shotgun guy here's your chance to buy something that will be a GREAT entre into the genre. Realize you are making some compromises at that price point but what you aren't sacrificing is reliability or accuracy.

Here's a good couple of videos that kinda mirrors my sentiments...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8erW2mgLUI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxjvNA5SvNk&t=402s

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    edellson, deputy tom, TeaDub and 5 others like this.
  2. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

I bought one a while ago too but with the black stock, which is a touch shorter than the tan one.

So far so good---plus if I actually have to use it --- I'm not out much when they impound it.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.

3. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I have had several of the Maverick 88's and the Mossberg 500 shotguns. The 500 is about $100 more so I wanted to see what the differences were. I disassembled one of each laid them side by side to compare the parts. Can't say there is a dime's worth of difference except for the safety location. The 88 safety is in the trigger assembly and the 500 is built into the receiver above the trigger group.

Be aware that any barrel that fits the 500 model will also fit the 88 model.

Flash

michael_b likes this.
  4. Z71bill

Z71bill

My neighbor went to buy a HD shotgun -

He compared the Maverick 88 and a Pardner pump -

Both were on sale - I can't recall but the Maverick was more - Like $200 VS $150.

He bought the Maverick because he recognized Mossberg - then went back the next day and bought the Pardner.

He took both out and says they are both good to go.

IMHO - if you want a gun that you plan to leave stock and just load it up and shot - a low cost pump like these guns is a great choice.

deputy tom likes this.
  5. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Great post BigBird. Thanks for your write up. And I love the video review by mixup.....

deputy tom and michael_b like this.
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Just a little followup...my Maverick 88 continues to deliver... I have put about 250 shells through it...mostly cheap birdshot. But some slugs and buck. Hasn't missed a beat yet. Also, I'm pleased to report that it looks like Mossberg finally listened to its customer base and is now putting better quality magazine springs in the gun. Its been a good number of years since I bought my 590A1 but they all seemed to have weak magazine springs and when you left them loaded it got worse--and that wasn't just my experience it was shared by many others. So kudos to Mossberg for the upgrade.
    No problems at all with the new Maverick magazine spring and the replacement Wolff extra power spring I ordered from Brownells will end up in the spare parts box as a backup. No big deal...its a $5 investment. But I did replace the factory stamped steel follower with the machined Vang Comp SS follower and its a big improvement IMO for the tactile feel you get when checking the magazine for ammo.

The gun has also gotten pretty smooth from cycling the action and shooting it...very nice now and it will continue to get better as time goes by. These guns are made in Eagle Pass Texas probably with some imported parts. Many people confuse Eagle Pass with El Paso....they are about 480 miles apart. Eagle Pass is close to Del Rio along the Rio Grande. Also, the Eagle Pass is located in Maverick County...so I'm guessing that's where the Maverick name originates with 1988 being the year the gun was introduced.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Those 88s are very solid shotguns in my experience. Many gun folks assume that since a gun is priced low it’s automatically cheaply-made and therefore a bad buy (which IS TRUE in SOME cases), but not so with the Maverick.

8. pblanc

pblanc

I have a Maverick 88 with a 6 shell capacity tube for home self-defense. It is the only shotgun I own. And yes, it is loaded with 2 3/4" 00 buck. I like the safety location.

deputy tom and michael_b like this.
  9. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Do they make one in a 20ga?

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

In the field models they do but not in the security models with the 20" barrel and extended mag tube. I would recommend a 12 gauge low recoil buckshot load like Federals 8 pellet "tactical" load which will reduce recoil a great deal over the standard 2 3/4 00 Bucksot loads....Also, the Nobelsport and Rio 2.25" mini shells have less recoil than even any 20 gauge buckshot load I've ever tried and the 60 rounds of the mini shells I fed through my 88 have cycled fine.

11. banger

banger

I'll tell you this....

I'll buy a Mav 88 before a new Remington 870.

At least the Mossberg works.

deputy tom and MO Fugga like this.
  12. NoStress

NoStress

I have owned one and it was pretty stiff. I smoothed it out quite a bit with a little work but not until I had shot it for a while. It shot slugs very well. One of the great buys out there.

13. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've been telling you folks that the Maverick is the best bang for the buck for years! I'm glad the OP made it clear in his well written thread. tom. :thumbsup:

14. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

And a week later I ended up with another Maverick. Happy Birthday to me. tom. :cowboy:

[​IMG]

nitesite10mm likes this.
  15. J_Rico

J_Rico

Bought one at Academy years ago. It has lots of shells through it and still going strong. Very reliable.
    The finish is a little thin. That is about the only problem I have with it.

I put a light on mine and it is around if things ever go poorly in the house.

I recommend them to anyone looking for a good deal on a shotgun.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    deputy tom likes this.
  16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My Mossberg "Maverick" is a little different.

Made in Turkey and imported by Mossberg. It has the Mossberg logo and "Maverick" on the side.
    I think it's a good looking gun.
    I bought it the minute I saw it at the store (I seemed to do that a LOT :) )
    $480 OTD.

Equipped with laser/light and Red Dot, it resides in the hall closet.
    You know, just in case I'm between the kitchen and bedroom and I feel the need for a 12 ga shotgun. :)

Mossberg Maverick.jpg

deputy tom likes this.
  17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had several Mossberg Rifles and Shotguns for many years (back to the 1960's). Never had a complaint.

deputy tom likes this.
  18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

As often happens, a GT gun subject will remind me that I haven't shot the gun in some time.
    Like now. :)

I just shot the Maverick.
    What a nice gun.
    Even with my shoulders being somewhat weak from being torn and operated on a couple times in the past, and weak from advancing years, the Maverick isn't bad to shoot.
    Even with HOT "Federal Flite Control Wad Buckshot loads" the kick isn't too bad.

The FFCW Buck load is my favorite defense load because it will hold a tight hard hitting buckshot group, even beyond 30 yards.

Today the Federal load was holding a tight centered 3 inch pattern at 15 yards.

Guess I'll try a few other loads. :)

19. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Good for you, Buck. tom. :thumbsup:

20. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

For the price I'd buy it over the Chinese H&R Pardner, 870 clone, any day

Although I am going to praise Buds - their price match feature works quite well on their website and I highly recommend using it - I snagged a newer model 590 "Tactical" which is the bare bones 590, non A1, 18" barrel, 6+1, bead sight, and saved $65 off the advertised website price. I have a 500 outfitted in wood ("retro build"), and wanted the 590 so I could get the mag cleanout tube feature of the 590's, along with being able to use an extension and get 7+1 in the 18" barrel!

Mossberg SKU #50778 is what I got -

Using plastic and paying the fee, it arrived to my FFL for $275, not bad at all! Will make a nice addition to my growing 12 gauge arsenal :)

deputy tom likes this.