The 'Aviation History via Priceeless Quotes' thread--

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skyhook, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

I'll bet there are some excellent quotes of educational value which would give us a glimpse of Aviation History.

Let me start with Igor Sikorsky - "In the early days of aviation the designers were also the test pilots. This had the effect of weeding out the bad designers".

2. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

The only three things a wingman should ever say are:

1. Two's up.
    2. Lead, you're on fire.
    3. I'll take the fat chick.

...and in a multi-place aircraft, there are only three
    things the copilot should ever say:

1. Nice landing, Sir.
    2. I'll buy the first round.
    3. I'll take the fat chick.

As a new copilot on Americam Airlines, I was told to say
    these three things, and otherwise keep my mouth shut
    and not touch anything:

1. Clear on the right.
    2. Outer (marker) on the double (indicator)
    3. I'll eat the chicken. (Crew meals consisted of one steak and one chicken to avoid possible food poisoning of the cockpit crew).

About Fighter Pilots

1. As an aviator in flight you can do anything you want... As long as it's right... And we'll let you know if it's right after you get down.

2. You can't fly forever without getting killed.

3. As a fighter pilot only two bad things can happen to you and one of them will:
    a. One day you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.
    b. One day you will walk out to the airplane not knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.

4. Success is being able to walk to your F.E.B.

5. There are Rules and there are Laws. The rules are made by men who think that they know better how to fly your airplane than you. The Laws (of Physics) were made by the Great One. You can, and sometimes should, suspend the Rules but you can never suspend the Laws.

6. More about Rules:
    a. The rules are a good place to hide if you don't have a better idea and the talent to execute it.
    b. If you deviate from a rule, it must be a flawless performance. (e.g., If you fly under a bridge, don't hit the bridge.)

7. The fighter pilot is the highest form of life on earth.

8. The ideal fighter pilot is the perfect blend of discipline and
    aggressiveness.

9. About check rides:
    a. The only real objective of a check ride is to complete it and get the
    bastard out of your airplane. b. It has never occurred to any flight examiner that the examinee couldn't care less what the examiner's opinion of his flying ability really is.

10. The medical profession is the natural enemy of the aviation profession.

11. The job of the Wing Commander is to worry incessantly that his career depends solely on the abilities of his aviators to fly their airplanes without mishap and that their only minuscule contribution to the effort is to bet their lives on it.

12. Ever notice that the only experts who decree that the age of the pilot is over are people who have never flown anything? Also, in spite of the intensity of their feelings that the pilot's day is over I know of no such expert who has volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft.

13. It is absolutely imperative that the fighter pilot be unpredictable. Rebelliousness is very predictable. In the end, conforming almost all the time is the best way to be unpredictable.

14. He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool.

15. If you're gonna fly low, do not fly slow!

16. It is solely the pilot's responsibility to never let any other thing touch his aircraft.

17. If you can learn how to fly as a Lt. and not forget how to fly by the time you're a Lt.Col you will have lived a happy life.

18. About night flying:
    a. Remember that the airplane doesn't know that it's dark.
    b. On a clear, moonless night, never fly between the tanker's lights.
    c. There are certain aircraft sounds that can only be heard at night.
    d. If you're going to night fly, it might as well be in the weather so you can double count your exposure to both hazards.
    e. Night formation is really an endless series of near misses in equilibrium with each other.
    f. You would have to pay a lot of money at a lot of amusement parks and perhaps add a few drugs, to get the same blend of psychedelic sensations as a single engine night weather flight on the wing.

19. One of the most important skills that a pilot must develop is the skill to ignore those things that were designed by non-pilots to get the pilot's attention.

20. At the end of the day, the controllers, ops supervisors, maintenance guys, weather guessers, and birds; they're all trying to kill you and your job is to not let them!

21. The concept of "controlling" airspace with radar is just a form of FAA sarcasm directed at fighter pilots to see if they're gullible enough to swallow it.

Or to put it another way, when's the last time the FAA ever shot anyone down?

22. Remember that the radio is only an electronic suggestion box for the pilot. Sometimes the only way to clear up a problem is to turn it off.

23. It is a tacit, yet profound admission of the pre-eminence of flying in the hierarchy of the human spirit, that those who seek to control aviators via threats always threaten to take one's wings and not one's life.

24. Remember when flying low and inverted that the rudder still works the same old way but hopefully your IP never taught you "pull stick back, plane go up".

25. Mastering the prohibited maneuvers in the dash-1 is one of the best forms of aviation life insurance you can get.

26. A tactic done twice is a procedure. (Refer to unpredictability discussion above)

27. The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits.

28. One of the beautiful things about a single piloted aircraft is the quality of the social experience.

29. If a mother has the slightest suspicion that her infant might grow up to be a pilot, she had better teach him to put things back where he got them.

30. The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish.

31. Any flight over water in a single engine fighter will absolutely guarantee abnormal engine noises and vibrations.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

FLYING ADVICE

"Keep the aeroplane in such an attitude that the air pressure is directly in the pilot's face."
    * Horatio C. Barber, 1916

"When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten."
    * Robert Livingston, "Flying The Aeronca"

“The only time an aircraft has too much fuel on board, is when it is on fire."
    * Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, sometime before his death in the 1920's

“Flexible is much too rigid, in aviation you have to be fluid."
    * Verne Jobst

“If you can't afford to do something right, then be darn sure you can afford to do it wrong."
    * Charlie Nelson

“Just remember, if you crash because of weather, your funeral will always be held on a sunny day."
    * Layton A. Bennett

“I hope you either take up parachute jumping or stay out of single motored airplanes at night."
    * Charles A. Lindbergh, to Wiley Post, 1931

“Never fly the 'A' model of anything."
    * Ed Thompson

“Never fly anything that doesn't have the paint worn off the rudder pedals."
    * Harry Bill

“Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below and smite thee."
    * William Kershner

“When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity, as slowly and gently as possible."
    * advice given to RAF pilots during W.W.II.

“Instrument flying is when your mind gets a grip on the fact that there is vision beyond sight."
    * U.S. Navy "Approach" magazine circa W.W.II.

“Always keep an 'out' in your hip pocket."
    * Bevo Howard

“The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you."
    * attributed to Max Stanley, Northrop test pilot

“A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum."
    * Jon McBride, astronaut

“If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible."
    * Bob Hoover

“It occurred to me that if I did not handle the crash correctly, there would be no survivors."
    * Richard Leakey, after engine failure in a single engine, Nairobi, Africa, 1993.

“Though I Fly Through The Valley Of Death I Shall Fear No Evil, For I Am At 80,000 feet And Climbing."
    * sign over the entrance to the SR-71 (Black Birds) operating location on Kadena AB, Okinawa

“You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3."
    * Paul F. Crickmore

“The emergencies you train for almost never happen. It's the one you can't train for that kills you."
    * Ernest K. Gann, advice from the "Old Pelican"

“If you want to grow old as a pilot you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off."
    * Chuck Yeager

“Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver than you."
    * Richard Herman Jr, in "Firebreak"

“There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime."
    * Sign over Squadron Ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970.

“An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one."
    * Len Morgan

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

“ The sky is not the limit.............The Ground is.”

“Remember there are Old Pilots and there are Bold Pilots, but there are no Old Bold Pilots...”

“Life is simple. Eat, Sleep, Fly.“

“You can only tie the low-altitude record.”

“The ground has a Pk of 1.”

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Way cool, Boys.

jtull7, checked out in Bellanca Champ 7ACA, Piper Cub. Cessna 150, Cessna 172. I know I'm a little plane pilot. but I feel I share the brotherhood.

5. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

6. jacquejet

jacquejet

Don't fly at night.
    Don't fly in the weather.
    Don't mess with red guarded switches.

7. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Most of us, most of the time, live in blissful ignorance of what a small, elite, heroic group of Americans are doing for us night and day. As we speak, American Sailors, Submariners and Aviators are doing something very dangerous. People say, "Well, it can't be too dangerous because there are no wrecks", but the very reason we don't have more accidents is that these are superb professionals. The fact that they master the dangers does not mean the dangers aren't real.

Right now, somewhere around the world, young men are landing high performance jet aircraft on the pitching decks of aircraft carriers - at night! You can't pay people to do that, they do it out of love of country, of adventure, of the challenge. We all benefit from it, and they very fact that we don't have to think about it tells you how superbly they're doing their job -living on the edge of danger so the rest of us need not think about , let alone experience, danger.
    George Will, January 28, 1986

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

The Gospel According to St. Fresnel

In the beginning, the lord God hath created the heavens, and the aircraft carrier, and the seas upon which to float it; and yet there was complete darkness upon the face of the Earth And, as I traveled, there came to me, as a voice out of the darkness, an angel of the lord, saying, "On centerline, on glideslope, three quarters of a mile, call the ball.” I reflected upon these words, for I was engulfed in darkness, and I raised my voice saying "Clara..."

And God hath spoke to me, and he said, "You're low...power.” As the Lord sayeth, so shall it be; and I added power and lo! The ball riseth up onto the bottom of the mirror But it was tainted with a red glow and surely indicated Satan's own influence And God spoke to me again, saying "Power! Power!...Fly the ball!" And Lo! The ball riseth off the top of the mirror and darkness was upon me.

And the voice of the angel came to me again, saying, "When comfortable, twelve hundred feet, turn downwind.” Whereupon I wandered in the darkness without direction, for surely the ship’s radar was beset by demons, and a great confusion was cast upon CATCC. Even my TACAN needle spinneth from time to time like a crazy monkey and I fell into despair... And Lo! There was chaos, and a great turmoil within my cockpit, for a multitude of serpents had crept therein and I smiteth them.

And though I wandered, as if by providence I found myself within the holy corridor, at twelve hundred feet, among my brethren seeking refuge; and the voice of the angle of the lord came to me again, asking about my needles, and I raised up my voice saying, "Up and centered," and the voice of the angel answered, "Report coupled.” I reflected upon these words, and I raised my voice in prayer, for though both of my gyros indicateth it is not so, surely my aircraft hath been turned upside down. Whereupon I laid my hand upon that holiest of devices, and moved the switch, and Lo! The spirit of the Lord did fill my aircraft, for it seemed to take a life of its own, and guideth me onto a centered glide slope though I toucheth not the controls myself.

And God spoketh to me saying, "Roger ball, coupled.” And though the ball began to riseth at the in-close position, miraculously my jet stoppeth upon the flight deck, for it hath caught the four wire which God in his infinite wisdom hath placed thirty feet farther down the deck than the three wire.

And thus, bathed in the golden radiance from above, my pilgrimage was at an end, and my spirit rejoiced and was truly reborn.

9. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Worthless things:
    Altitude above you.
    Runway behind you.
    Gas in the truck.
    The head in the ready room.

10. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

On air, land, and sea: quotable quotes

It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex. It's either good or it's great.

Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist. You may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable. LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good ****. A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time.

A checkride ought to be like a skirt; short enough to be interesting but still long enough to cover everything.

Speed is life, altitude is life insurance.

No one has ever collided with the sky.

A "GOOD" landing is one from which you can walk away. But a "GREAT" landing is one after which you can use the airplane again. (Especially true at sea).

It only takes two things to fly, airspeed and money.

The similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies. If ATC screws up, the pilot dies.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.

Please don't tell Mom I'm a pilot. She thinks I play piano in a whorehouse.

The difference between flight attendants and jet engines is that the engine usually quits whining when it gets to the gate.

If it's ugly, it's British; if it's weird, it's French. If it's ugly and weird, it's Russian.

New FAA motto: We're not happy, ‘till you're not happy.

A copilot is a knothead until he spots opposite direction traffic at 12 o'clock, after which he's a goof-off for not seeing it sooner.

Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club.

If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

The three most dangerous things in aviation are a doctor in a Bonanza, two captains in a DC-9, and a flight attendant with a chipped tooth.

I'd give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale, son.

Pilots are just plane people with a special air about them.

Basic Flying Rules:

1. Try to stay in the middle of the air. 2. Do not go near the edges of it. 3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

A welcome to a new co-pilot from an old captain: Son, your wife's legs have more time in the air than you do.

Unknown landing signal officer to carrier pilot after his 6th unsuccessful landing (bolter): “You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is.”

11. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

AVIATION KNOWLEDGE:

Never trade luck for skill...

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "****!"

Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers.

Progress in airline flying: now a flight attendant can get a pilot pregnant.

In aviation, gravity is a law not subject to repeal.

Airspeed, altitude, or brains: two are always needed to successfully complete the flight.

A smooth landing is mostly luck; two in a row is all luck; three in a row is prevarication.

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot.

We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there!

If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter - and unsafe.

Federal Aviation Regulations are written by lawyers to promote violations and lawsuits.

Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries.

Navy carrier pilots to Air Force pilots: Flaring to land is like squatting to pee.

Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding it.

An accident investigation attempts to place blame on the hapless for brief lapses.

To err is human; to forgive divine - neither of which is FAA policy.

12. GlocknAK

GlocknAK Guest

Half way through the first day of ground school, the furlouged TWA guy that was teaching it tried to get us to stress a little less about the mountain of information that was being heaped onto us.

"Don't stress all of this crap. You really only need to know three things:

1. "You're right"
    2. "Clear right"
    3. "I'll take the fat one"

13. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

No one has ever been killed by a timely 180.