close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The automotive world is upside down...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

KIA makes a car that is faster to 60 than a BMW 440i, and 640i gran coupe, a porsche panamera, and an Audi A5.

365 hp, and 376 ft lbs of torque from a 3.3 liter v6 moves this mid size sedan to sixt mph in 4.7 seconds.

[​IMG]

I was selling cars in the early nineties when KIA first came to the US, and we all considered it a joke car company. The plucky little korean company has come a long way.

2. JMS

JMS 02

I'm sure the CEO's of all 3 are sleeping soundly. Nobody is cross shopping KIA against any of them.

3. r3dot

r3dot

The stinger looks like a really cool car

GlockPride, Paul53, Joshhtn and 2 others like this.
  4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

5. r3dot

r3dot

Truth. Kia and Hyundai have both had high end models in the past and they never proved to be big sellers. Genesis broke off into a separate company.

Kia has made some very nice cars but finding enough people to throw 40k+ on, well, a Kia, isn’t going to be easy. Their resell value is one of the worse.

72Cheyenne and Rotn1 like this.
  6. Sharkey

Sharkey

"Fastbacks" are kinda coming back. Buick Regal hatch is new this year too. I sat in the Stinger last week. It was on display at the dealer but none were out to test drive. Honestly after we've owned 4 Hyundais, the Koreans have no issue keeping up with the big 3. Check out the resale values of the Kia Optima. The ONLY reason I am driving the Caddy ATS is for the emblem to impress at work in case I need to make an airport run from the house. I'd like to pick a Stinger up after 2 years and rebadge it. It is a very nice vehicle. I have a fondess for hatchbacks.

7. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

The genesis is a nice ride. I test drove one back in 2010 before we bought our Maxima. Had it been AWD or FWD (midwest winters) I would have bought the genesis.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

Genesis marketing sucked. Bad. Their whole pitch was that people wouldn't know you were driving a high end car. One of the local campaigns was that if you buy a Genesis, you wouldn't piss off your employees, friends or neighbors because "it's just a Hyundai."

9. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Only issue with high end Genesis models, Equus, K900, Stinger etc is they have to conquest customers from established cars in that price range...not many loyal Kia Hyundai owners are shopping in that price point. Yes there are some, but they are going to have to fight new opponents to sell a bunch.

That costs a lot of money and makes the Stinger in danger of selling like Equus and K900...which will not make it the success it deserves to be.

Sharkey and Bruce M like this.
  10. JLB19

JLB19

True, but I remember similar statements being made, when the Japanese auto manufacturers (Honda/Nissan/Toyota) entered the luxury car market (Acura/Infiniti/Lexus) in the late 80s and early 90s.

11. vram74

vram74

Nice looking ride but Kias would be a 20k max vehicle if I’m shopping for a car.

I’m 10k max financially speaking though so even this damn Kia is exotic too me :(

Just Glocks likes this.
  12. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

The Stinger is a good looking ride with impressive numbers. Kia stole the guy who headed up the M division over at bmw, to help design the stinger.

That said, I’ll take any of the other cars you mentioned, over it...

13. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

CURB WEIGHT (C/D EST): *3900 lb Interesting 365hp can push that 0-60 `4.7` seconds..... with that weight 425 plus hp I could believe it "IMO"

Nice looking car though...

holyjohnson, Just Glocks and crockett like this.
  14. 29glock27

29glock27

Thats nice for a base model. Its a hell of a lot nicer looking than the Porsche.

Sharkey likes this.
  15. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Porsche. There is no substitute.

16. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Show me one in about 8 years, vs. a Panamera with the same age & miles. Then I'll judge.

GVIFlyer and Benchrst like this.
  17. JMS

JMS 02

The problem is Kia/Hyundai came from such a bad place that they should have set their sights on Mazda/Nissan first and then if they ever achieved that level Honda/Toyota next. Taking on Lexus/Mercedes/BMW/etc. should have been their stretch dream. Instead they take on Lexus/Mercedes/etc. right off that bat. They never built a foundation, they'll never have more success than they have now.

18. jmohme

jmohme

I was in the Automotive industry in the early 70's and felt the same way about BMW's.

dudel likes this.
  19. imthatguy

imthatguy

That Kia Stinger that is pictured is $50k... that’s alot of coin for a Kia. Yes it’s a nice car, and the specs are fairly impressive. But, the stigma that their company, had/has is a hard thing to move away from.
    For a lot of people perfomance takes a backseat to brand and model recognition. $50k can you get into a pretty nice Lexus/Mercedes/Audi/BMW which will help people “keep up with the Jones’” a whole heck of a lot better than a Kia, even if it represents a good value.

20. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker Root Doctor

^^^ I'm with you. 50k for a Kia??

cghelton likes this.