Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is freaking insane. The land is in Spokane county about a half hour drive from town. Over a third is shallow lake(the water was deeper when I bought it :oops: ). Some of the land is too steep to walk on. There is a spot to build a house that has a great view. If it had any commercial farming potential it would already be part of a farm. The only value is either hunting land or a place for a retired guy(me) to build a house.
I know the cost of houses is going up but is this increase in value normal for marginal land 30 minutes from the closest parts of the city? For the last couple of years it went up by maybe 1% per year.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Real estate is up all over the US. My county appraisal went up by 10% and they want to add another 6% next year. We are capped at 10% per year.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,482 Posts
I have 4 acres in Tennessee that I inherited my valuation and taxes doubled last year, first time I ever remember it taking much of an increase since 1990. It is just land to nothing on it

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,056 Posts
They just tagged me for an additional 30% a couple of months ago.

Im soon to retire, with just a couple of years of mortgage payments left. With the added freight to my escrow, I’m really going to have to stretch to get there.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking up to the north.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I got a townhouse under contract at the end of january at $188,000 today the exact same model in the same subdivision is at $210,000

·
Registered
32,277 Posts
Here’s what I don’t understand. The county assesses my land for an amount that I could never come close to selling it for. How is this possible. I am completely ignorant to the ways of land/home ownership.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
Here’s what I don’t understand. The county assesses my land for an amount that I could never come close to selling it for. How is this possible. I am completely ignorant to the ways of land/home ownership.
Home owners are piggy banks to the state and county.

Their assessments really mean nothing.

20 years ago I owned 3 duplexes on the same street next to each other. One year the assessment on 1 went up 15%.

I called and inquired about it. The city sent a assessor who told me the city randomly selects properties to increase.

He said maybe 1 homeowner in 20 calls to complain. My assessment was dropped to 0.

The county or state knows most people are afraid of them.

·
rip "Bud"
10,411 Posts
This is freaking insane. The land is in Spokane county about a half hour drive from town. Over a third is shallow lake(the water was deeper when I bought it :oops: ). Some of the land is too steep to walk on. There is a spot to build a house that has a great view. If it had any commercial farming potential it would already be part of a farm. The only value is either hunting land or a place for a retired guy(me) to build a house.
I know the cost of houses is going up but is this increase in value normal for marginal land 30 minutes from the closest parts of the city? For the last couple of years it went up by maybe 1% per year.
I live in Okanogan County.... Not too thrilled about your news. Maybe I should move to Nespelam???

·
rip "Bud"
10,411 Posts
This happens every Dem, Administration. It's called Tax and Spend, Been going on for Centuries.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine went up 40% last year. Also Washington state, but South Central region.
That’s a nice hedge against inflation! You really can’t go wrong on land, unless of course there are seen or unforeseen variables you know or don’t know. Congrats! Now do the taxes increase as a result? If not you did good. The land may seem unbuildable but I have seen some amazing things done over the years to places you would never think would work.

·
Registered
914 Posts
My area in Texas went up 40% across the board on land. Higher than I've seen any sell for and I watch closely. Recently, a friend who used to be on the board that deals with assessment disputes told me when someone successfully argued to lower their yearly assessment, the county would simply doubly screw them the next year. More or less he admitted that the county would have it in for them for daring to go up against them.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,935 Posts
Does your tax collector use recent local selling prices to determine property values?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,121 Posts
The Taxman cometh.........................

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now do the taxes increase as a result?
Of course the taxes go up. That was what I'm upset about, a 28% increase in one year is scary stuff to a retired guy on a fixed income. I have put off building a house and now I wonder if the tax on improvements to the land have also gone up by the same amount? I don't recall a 28% increase in county services.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts