close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The anything-goes gun culture

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Aug 8, 2012.

1. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

What can you do other than just shake your head when confronted by fools such as this?

So basically he's calling for more restrictive laws... that he knows won't solve the problem. Totally predictable, empty-headed, purely emotional "we gotta do something!" reaction we're all too familiar with. :upeyes:

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Aye, but this is the Gazette and there is a comments section :supergrin:

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

The Left is building up momentum for gun control. If the Democrats win this election then we will see a new AWB and a restriction on magazine capacity for pistols.

4. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

The sky is falling! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

5. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

We are living in the golden age of gun ownership. I expect it too end real soon. You have the younger generation that has been willingly giving up their freedoms since elementary school and see nothing wrong with it.

In 1994 people didn't riot in the streets when the AWB went into law. Today people are too busy watching the Kardasians to care what happens. All they have to do is say turn em in and people will do it. If you resist the sheriff's armored car and a prison sentence will change your mind. I see more apathy today. So enjoy them while you can.

6. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Drivel written by another idiot who thinks with his emotional responses instead of logic. You know, like a little girl.

Mrs.Cicero

7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Care to elaborate on your position? We are on the precipice of the most dangerous election in just about any of our lives (where gun control is concerned, anyway).

Greg

8. Ermac

Ermac

Calling somebody an idiot just because you disagree with them is very emotional. If you want people to see your point of view, or switch to your point of view, calling them an idiot will not do that. Not to say I agree with the guy. If he's saying to reinstate the assault weapons ban, I would tell him that it was totally ineffective in stopping crime and there wasn't any evidence it worked.

9. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I'm not trying to convince the writer of anything. I didn't call him an idiot because I disagreed with him. There are many people, and arguments, that I disagree with, that are intelligent, well-written, logical, rational, moral and convincing. THEY are not idiots, nor idiotic. This writer was none of those things, however. His entire argument is based on his own emotional responses, and minimal experience. To attempt to convince me with that sort of drivel is the action of an idiot. Therefore, he is an idiot.

Your argument is based on a different perspective than mine concerning the appropriate application of descriptive terms, but it is logical. Even though I disagree with you, you are not an idiot.

:tongueout:

Mrs.Cicero

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

More dangerous than just gun control... this election will be the catalyst for how fast we fall.

11. Agonizer

Agonizer .

I disagree that we are coming to the end of the golden age. I believe we are just at the beginning of it. There are over 8 million concealed carry license holders now in this country, and people continue to apply in droves.

Even people not interested in carrying, can't help but be influenced by someone they know being pro gun.

Of course we will always have to maintain vigilance against the anti-gun people, because they never give up.

12. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

People are applying for concealed carry and buying guns at a record pace. And where I'm from the main reason is that they feel the guns will be banned and they want to get into the game beforehand. The politicians learned from the AWB. No grandfather clause and no sunset next time.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

Seems we heard/saw and largely bought into this fear of restrictive new gun laws last election cycle, much more last time than this time though. Any solid indicator that this time it will be any different after the election as far as firearms laws are concerned? I have not seen any. Second term or not for the POTUS his fellow Democrats are not going to commit political suicide by voting such laws in IMO.

Two mass shooting in the middle of a election campaign and it is not even becoming a part of the campaigns in any real way. I really do not think we will see any movement after the election towards new restrictive gun laws. Of course if anybody wants to use it as a good reason to buy guns/ammo or gear now then I am all for that :)

And when was the last presidential election that was not "the most important in recent history" ? Seems every one is called that.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  14. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"We are on the precipice of the most dangerous election in just about any of our lives (where gun control is concerned, anyway)."

You obviously weren't alive - or don't remember - the elections before the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Even if the Democratic Party gains control of both chambers, what is going to happen now that didn't happen when they controlled them at the beginning of President Obama's term? They wouldn't go for it then and they won't now; they have to run for re-election.

"In the 11/4/08 elections, the Democratic Party increased its majorities in both chambers."

15. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

This has been covered plenty of times. I'll do the famous "use the search function".

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

One of the potential pitfalls of trying to reduce especially legally concealed carrying is that in the last couple of decades an awful lot more people in alot more states have concealed licenses or permits, as opposed to in 1994. Another potential hurdle for legislation would be an increasing number of police agencies and fraternal organizations that have gone on record supporting legal concealed carrying. Like it or not, police sometimes have input into legislation dealing with issues of crime.

17. mingaa

mingaa

"...I as a gun control advocate simply want to put laws in place that put some limits on the especially dangerous military-style assault weapons that are inappropriate for civilian use.

I would also like some means of preventing the easy accumulation of arsenals of such weapons by obviously unbalanced persons."

"especially dangerous military-style assault weapons" Yep - automatic firearms are extremely tightly regulated - got that in place already! A 22 revolver shoots one round when you pull the trigger just like a dreaded big bad black AR15.

"...preventing the easy accumulation of arsenals of such weapons by obviously unbalanced persons" Check - has Schultz never seen a 4473? Does he know about NICS?? There are states with mandatory waiting periods for firearm purchases (fortunately I do not live in one of them) AND annual renewal permits with a fee PER GUN. Now let's form another commission from tax funding that decides who the UnBaLanCeD PeRsOnS are creating more redundant, invasive, ambiguous, subjective burdens on the free people of this country! ARG!!!

More bandwagon, blowhard bull****!

IMHO we have enough laws to collapse any Federal building under the weight of the paper.

The Second Amendment still stands - I advocate spending for firearms education and training.

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

Yawn. Heard this BS before.

19. Ruggles

Ruggles

No one is implying that folks do not want to impose new firearm laws, just that there is no evidence it is going to occur in many peoples opinion.