The A Bomb Drops On Nagasaki 8/9/1945

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Travelinman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Travelinman

Travelinman Banned

Hard to believe. 73 years ago now. About a whole human lifetime.

Still, to this very day, the last nuclear device dropped in wartime anger.

Harry Truman made two gutsy, epic changing calls.

It had to be done. But at what a cost. The price keeps rising every single day of our lives.

History will eventually tally that bill. None of us will ever live to see the total. .

Paul53 likes this.
  2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

It was a bargain. For both sides.

TX OMFS, Cubdriver, n2g and 18 others like this.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Now for Tehran, Pyongyang, and a few other places. The sooner the better.

TX OMFS, Bus007, KWalrad and 4 others like this.
  4. WT

WT Millennium Member

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

308M1A and FullClip like this.
  5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

If it weren't for the A-bombs they'd all be drinking vodka and eating borscht.

6. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Fact. Nagasaki was home to a major Industry for war weaponry, including the feared Long Lance Torpedo, and a major "Mitsubishi" steel producer and war ship builder and had support docks for the Navy. It was also a major producer of other ordnance. It also housed a military garrison of 40,000 soldiers.

Fact. Hiroshima was also a major war producing Industrial city. It housed an entire army, the 2nd General Army. It was a major transportation Hub where both troops and supplies were moved thru.

Fact. America dropped over 63,000,000 leaflets over 35 city's telling the civilians what started the war and to get the hell out of the city's, most of all over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Every 15 mins a US radio station in Saipan broadcasted the same message to the Japanese Public, "tho no doubt they'd have been beheaded by the secret Police if they were discovered listening to it".

Even the destruction of Tokyo in March '45 happened when we targeted a section of the city that housed numerous small Industries producing war materials. Unfortunately for them there was a big wind that night and they made all their houses out of paper and wood. Were we to call off the war until they could rebuild with bomb proof materials? After that attack they did evac 87% of their children from their city's heeding our warnings.

Fact. The war crimes of Imperial Japan even exceeded the Nazi's. They killed 20 million Chinese alone. They enslaved hundreds of thousands of woman in rape camps they called "comfort houses". That is if they didn't murder them out right after first raping them in the battlefield. I can't even repeat their war crimes in Nanking because they were so horrible. They considered themselves even more racially superior then the Nazi's did.

Fact. Its true they were trying to find a way out of the war but they never would have considered a unconditional surrender. They didn't even want to be occupied or have anyone held responsible for war crimes. Hirohito, to his dieing day, never once used the word "surrender" when talking about the war.

Fact. The Japs had 10,000 war planes ready for use as Kamakazi's and due to the terrain our naval ships would have had much less warning time from radar then at Okinawa where 1 per 9 of 2,000 got thru killing over 4,000 sailors and sinking or damaging 232 ships. And their plan for the invasion of Japan was to target troop transports instead of the heavily defended carriers they did at Okinawa.

Fact. They had 65 divisions of soldiers to defend the home Islands, not even counting the woman and kids with sharpened pitch forks. They still had planety of Submarines, midget subs, suicide subs, and naval ships and aircraft capable of launching their feared torpedo's.

Fact. There probably would have been an exchange of chemical weapons. The Japs had already used them against the Chinese, as well as Bio weapons, and we had them to. And it wasn't just Japan we would have had to fight out way thru, had Hirohito ordered it, but also Korea and occupied China and S/E Asia. They were going to commit National Suicide.

Knowing all this and watching that disgusting BBC Docu about the two peaceful city's America nuked made me want to vomit. I saw Bocks Car myself a few weeks ago in a museum and thanked God we had such a Bomber as well as the men who had the guts to end such a terrible war by using that device.

cbetts1, NoStress, vettely and 28 others like this.
  7. DonD

DonD

Please tell me what costs have resulted from our ending a war started by a totally unjustified attack that gutted the Navy's Pacific fleet?

Tomcat1977 got it right, war is never nice but the Japanese were evil and have no justification for complaining about how we ended the war.

Then the well know fact that had we invaded Japan, we'd have suffered monumental casualties, the Japanese even worse. Truman was right.

I don't know if it still is the case but for decades, Japanese school books didn't address their wartime sins and the Japanese government still hasn't really apologized for Pearl Harbor.

How will history deal with us? Who knows but revisionist historians often offer us their distorted version of truth. Don

billorights, n2g, Atomic Punk and 6 others like this.
  8. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

After how those animals were on Okinawa and Pelileu it was a no brainier. That is the end result of genocide worse than the nazis in most cases, treaties with nazis, and backstabbing surprise attacks.There should be no remorse or pity.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Without the A-bombs Japan would have been invaded and at least partitioned by the Soviets. Can you imagine the effect of a Warsaw Pact northern Japan on Cold War Asia?

billorights, FullClip and sombunya like this.
  10. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

So you're against nukes. That's clear.

You said "Gaze in horror as the Trinity Site blast changes the World..."

Now:
    As correctly pointed out above, the bombs saved lives. So your drivel has no traction in reality.

billorights, n2g, Atomic Punk and 3 others like this.
  11. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

I agree, and further, why do we always read in articles about them not "officially apologizing" for Pearl Harbor? As if that would mean anything significant. We don't need an apology after getting in the last punch.

Atomic Punk and orangejeep06 like this.
  12. chandne

chandne

Let's hope this never happens again because it will likely trigger a cataclysmic event, and we may never have to worry about climate change.

Alchemy and Caver 60 like this.
  13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I doubt that WWII is likely to happen again. Japanese military aggression is pretty well stopped.

14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Been to Dayton recently; have you?

:supergrin:

( BTW he pronounces it Bockscar )

;)

bockscar.jpg

:flag:

tortoise, Atomic Punk and FullClip like this.
  15. Travelinman

Travelinman Banned

Just trying start a conversation, Don. Tomcat 1977's great factual post alone was worth starting the thread.

Both of my two much older brother's were WW II Marines. The oldest landed on Guadalcanal on August 9, 1942, at age 18, and did not fight another day in the Pacific.

I am as Pro Nuke as you can get.

16. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Yes. My lifes dream. Imperial Japan both started and lost the war at Pearl Harbor. They were very big war gamers, having been trained and equipped by the British, and every War game they ran had them Losing to the Allies. Even one commissioned by Tojo.

But their feelings were hurt because we cut off oil and assets on them for enslaving, over running, and murdering 1/2 of Asia.

They attacked a Nation that was able to build and Launch 143 carriers of all types during the four years alone. Let alone the thousands of DDs, CVs, Subs, Assault ships, Landing ships, BB's, supply ships, cargo ships. Almost 7,000 for America alone "Japan built about 300". America alone built 324,000 airplanes of all types including 20X the amount of Bombers Japan did.

17. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

The smartest thing that any Japanese General said was what Isorio Yamamoto said just after Pearl harbor. "I can keep the Americans at bay for six months to maybe a year, but after that It's doubtful, all that I'm afraid we've done is awaken a sleeping giant."

18. Travelinman

Travelinman Banned

Yamamoto was an Admiral but your point still holds.

Alchemy likes this.
  19. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Yea your right - stupid me, I knew that.

20. ede

ede

We got protested, guess some people never forget. I didn't see it and didn't affect me.

FullClip likes this.