Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once heard it said that 80% of our time as LEO's is spend on stupid crap. A further 15% is spent on reports generated by the stupid crap and 5% is spent dealing with real crime. It been my experience that this is about correct. Truly innocent victims are even fewer and farther between.

Yesterday morning I met a real victim. Hard working family man that had his garage burglarized and various items stolen, including his wallet left in his car. Naturally the turd responsible made a few purchases on the stolen CC...

Fast forward a few hours and I'd just cleared up from assisting warrants division with the hunt for a wanted felon. As I'm leaving the area I see one of our unmarked units flip around and guys bail out. I can see the fight is on so I hit the blues and catch up. Turns out its the guy we'd just been looking for.

Search incident to arrest reveals items carried in the suspect's bag that are related to the earlier burglary. Sure enough the turd still had the victims wallet as well as the property purchased with the stolen CC and the receipts...not to mention he was riding the victim's bicycle also.

Within about 4 hours of the original call we had one suspect in custody recovered all but a few pieces of the stolen property and identified and signed warrants for another suspect. Frankly, I'm not sure who was happier, the victim or those of us involved in the case. It definitely gave all involved a needed morale boost, especially those of us in patrol that wade around in the muck of society on a daily basis.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I once heard it said that 80% of our time as LEO's is spend on stupid crap. A further 15% is spent on reports generated by the stupid crap and 5% is spent dealing with real crime. It been my experience that this is about correct. Truly innocent victims are even fewer and farther between.

Yesterday morning I met a real victim. Hard working family man that had his garage burglarized and various items stolen, including his wallet left in his car. Naturally the turd responsible made a few purchases on the stolen CC...

Fast forward a few hours and I'd just cleared up from assisting warrants division with the hunt for a wanted felon. As I'm leaving the area I see one of our unmarked units flip around and guys bail out. I can see the fight is on so I hit the blues and catch up. Turns out its the guy we'd just been looking for.

Search incident to arrest reveals items carried in the suspect's bag that are related to the earlier burglary. Sure enough the turd still had the victims wallet as well as the property purchased with the stolen CC and the receipts...not to mention he was riding the victim's bicycle also.

Within about 4 hours of the original call we had one suspect in custody recovered all but a few pieces of the stolen property and identified and signed warrants for another suspect. Frankly, I'm not sure who was happier, the victim or those of us involved in the case. It definitely gave all involved a needed morale boost, especially those of us in patrol that wade around in the muck of society on a daily basis.
I guess it goes to show that, every now and then, there really can be justice in this world.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
Strong work, brother. Congrats to you and your team, well done!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Outstanding work..... Don't you just love when a plan comes together... It would be nice if they ALL had a happy ending like this one

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Good work, we are getting it in the rear with burglaries in my area and catching them ain't easy. It doesn't help that our DA will plead repeat offenders down to misdemeanor theft and trespass on airtight burglary charges. And to top it off our admin is in our **** about putting an end to the burglaries.

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,755 Posts
I would estimate it as 0.5% or less of our time spent dealing with "real" crime...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Guy I worked with (just retired and moved to FLA) whom I really admire would always say: "we work in a city of 8800 hard working, decent people but wind up dealing with the same 30 idiots and their stupid stuff (edited) over and over and..."

·
Mr. Awesome
11,563 Posts
Ninety percent of my job is boredom. Eight percent is paperwork. One percent is fun. The last one percent is sheer terror. That's the part I live for. That last two percent. That's what makes the other BS worth it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Good work on catching them. We probably have a higher percentage of "real" victims just based on numbers. But most of those are property crimes and robberies.

·
Inactive/Banned
3,554 Posts
Congrats on closing the case.

The percentages are about the same in EMS. 95% of the calls we run on are BS or stuff that would be cheaper for the patient to travel POV to the hospital in. 4% are critical calls that are interesting and the final 1% is stuff that I hope I never run on again in my life.

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
Frankly, I'm not sure who was happier, the victim or those of us involved in the case. It definitely gave all involved a needed morale boost, especially those of us in patrol that wade around in the muck of society on a daily basis.
Isn't that the truth, especially when it comes to catching burglars. You get so very few of them that you really relish it when you snag one.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
This thread is exactly the reason why I've known from an early age that I'd never want to be a cop. My dad was a cop for a few years when I was a kid, and he said over 90 percent of his day was spent on domestic violence calls. It was usually the same guys over and over again, and the women who called were usually also P'sOS who hate cops as much as their abusive husbands do.

·
Florist
20,207 Posts

We also had something very similar yesterday. In fact, the cops were still at the burglary when we called the victims.

And later in the morning, an out of state PD calls and told us that one of our local POSs was arrested for a drug shooting and could we provide them with some background information, criminal history, known associates, etc...?

Just goes to show, sometimes things work out just right...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good job, very good work. If they could all just be this clean. Keep up the good work, these are the cases that keep us motivated when things are not going our way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts