Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes French 7.65x20 long..

I was at a pawn shop this week and rummaged around and found this..

Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part Door handle

Of course the French 7.65 is the little one here... no the .45 ACP.

Wood Body jewelry Thumb Jewellery Button

Yea, mine is head stamped 1947. MMAPB

Yes a 7.65x20 French Long round... and I thought.. hey, 30 Super!

Is this where they got the idea of the 30 Super... French 7.65?

Musical instrument Wood Font Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment

Notice the box says 110gr at 1020 ft/s.
7.65 French.. 77gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of about 1,148 ft/s from the handgun.
30 Super ... 100gr at (supposedly) 1200 ft/s.

Now the Frenchie came about in 1917 and the French adopted it in, I think, 1935 for that pistol above.

So is this what all the internet is ablaze about??? The French 7.65 in '+p' form?

I am NOT impressed. Maybe a Kel-Tec P-32 can be made in it.

·
Registered
17,431 Posts
What's old is new again.

And what I find intersteing, after reading up on the 7.65 French Long, is that it was originally designed for the Pedersen device in WWI. We got it into theater a little to late to be useful, but the French picked up on it and used it in handguns.

The .30 SC uses a little bigger diameter bullet, and a longer case.

Reactions: 45caldan

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
If somebody wanted to sponsor Team Mediocre to shoot a 1935 French, I would get some plentiful .30 SC brass, trim it to .776", grind a .30 SC reamer to suit, and recut the chamber for 7.65 French Improved. I would NOT simply chamber for .30 SC, that would invite overpressuring of an old gun.

Or maybe get a swage die and a hydraulic press to bring the .30 SC brass to the near parallel sides of the Froggie, leaving the barrel original.

Remember, this is all at my generous sponsor's expense.
And is about as likely as the many posts talking about putting .30 SC into .380 guns; but more physically possible.

·
M62/76
13,885 Posts
And you’re going to have a hard time finding either- and when you do, hold onto your wallet...

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
No way I would ever buy a 30SC unless there is abundant shootin’ ammo at $10/box of 50. Any more, or limiting it to 20rd boxes of “magic” bullets, forget it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts