The 30-30

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by EL COLONEL, Jan 12, 2010.

1. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Is the 30-30 less accurate than a bolt rifle??????? :dunno:

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

You mean lever action?
    :supergrin:

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The ultimate answer is yes its less accurate than modern bolt action rifles. From my experience I can get 2-3 inch groups at 200 yards with my scoped Ruger M77 .308. I have the exact same scope on my Marlin 336 30-30 and the best I have done with it is 4 inch groups at 200.

I am not the best shot, but the bolt seems more accurate. Both however are plenty accurate for hunting.

4. ctaggart

ctaggart

I've got a Marlin 336cs which is a 30-30 lever action that I use for hunting. I've never been able to get a sub 1" group with it at 100 yards. I also have a plain jane Remington 700 in .308. I can shoot sub 1" groups with it all day.

I'd say that any lever action rifle is inherently less accurate than the typical bolt action regardless of the caliber because the barrels aren't free floated on the lever actions.

5. S9Man

S9Man

They have made 30-30's in bolt guns. A Marlin 336 30-30 lever action is pretty accurate. Most people consider a bolt action rifle typically more accurate than a lever action rifle, but this is not always the case.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. BassCatcher

BassCatcher

I've got several pre-64 Winchester model 94's and use them for hunting on occassion. The accuracy of these rifles (all open sights) is certainly adequate but that depends on the shooter and how much practice you do. Remember this, the 30-30 has killed more deer than probably most of the major brands and/or cartridges combined.

That said, I generally grab my Savage in 30-06 for serious deer hunting. I have Leuopold 3X9 on it and with the accu-trigger it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

7. RCP

RCP

I have a 30-30 Bolt action as well as a 336 lever action. That being said I've never put them head to head against each other but I suspect with the Hornady Leverution ammo or whatever it's called that the bolt one would hold a decent group at 200yds. at 100yds it's a tack driver.

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Yeah in my opinion the lever action 30-30 is the best rifle ever made. :supergrin:

Mine, made in 1975

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

This is an apples and oranges comparison if you are trying to compare a lever gun and a bolt gun. When all said and done though, the bolt gun is going to be more accurate. I shoot my Grandfather Model 94 almost as good as any bolt gun that I own though.

10. yellolab

yellolab

+1

it's a 2 part question-
    1) Is a bolt more accuarate than a lever? given a large enough sample size, ABSOLUTELY. This is not to say that there are not levers out there that will outhshoot a bolt, but overall a bolt is more accurate.
    2) Is a 308(independent of action) more accurate than the 30-30? Doubtfull, but probably too close too matter.

So yes, a 308 in a bolt action is more accurate than a 30-30 in a lever action.

Kevin

11. dosei

dosei

...corrected it for you...

As a general rule, lever action rifles are less accurate than bolt action rifles. Most lever action rifles do not have free floating barrels while most bolt action rifles do. Most lever action rifles have lighter barrels than most bolt action rifles. Lever action rifles are generally chambered for "big and slow" cartridges as opposed to the much faster cartridges so many bolt actions are typically chambered for. Prior to the Hornady LeverEvolution line of ammunition, most lever action rifles used blunt round-nosed bullets that lacked the lower drag of pointed-nose bullets used by most bolt actions. Most lever action rifles are just not designed/built to deliver best possible accuracy when compared to bolt rifles.

One very notable exception to many of these things was the Savage Model 99.

12. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

My experience has been that every bolt rifle I have owned has been more accurate than a comparable lever rifle in a like or similar caliber. I agree that the barrel set up between the platforms is the major difference, but the other is the ammo limitations of levers in their use of non-pointed bullets.

Then again, not even Leverevolution has made my Marlin 336 bang as accurately as my Remington in .270

However, I rarely even fire non-milsurp bolt rifles any more, as I enjoy the handling and shooting fun of the levers far better than commercial bolt rifles.

Someone once said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I'd reply that accurate enough rifles make everything else boil down to preference.

13. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

RCP, that would be a great comparison ( bolt 30-30 vs lever 30-30 ) . Everyone thank you for responding...........:wavey:

14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The 30-30 cartridge can be very accurate in the right rifle. I know of one 30-30 bench gun built on a falling block action that is a tack driver.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Generally speaking, lever actions are less accurate.

16. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Generally speaking, yes.

There are plenty of "what ifs" that would turn the tables.

hog

17. cphilip

cphilip

Its "inaccuracy" is often highly exaggerated.

18. hogship

Ha! I see you and I are almost identical in thought, bac.......smile!

Would you like to see my Desert Eagle 9mm? LOL

hog

19. hogship

Are you talking about the cartridge, or the platform cphilip?

hog

20. cphilip

cphilip

Both I guess really Hogship. They both have been subject to gross exaggeration of their shortcomings.

It is indeed true it is slightly more inaccurate of a platform sometimes... and it is also true that the 30-30 cartridge itself is not THE most flat shooting cartridge. However it is often grossly exaggerated the total bullet drop and the average spread of the lever action and how it performs. We are talking inch here or there and sometimes not even that. My point is that some will portray it as not being able to hit the side of a barn but we all know that it is far better of a platform and cartridge as that or simply.. it could never have gained such a popularity. Someone who says things that simply sound incredible about it are perpetuating that myth. And it simply is not the case. It is certainly not THE most pin point combination in the world but it is a great useful set up.

I set one up this past fall to carry for shorter sort of range hunting. Something I had wanted to do for a while. I set it up with a shorter range scope 2-7 X 33 with the idea of it being my 50 to 125 yard gun.... and carried it into a stand a few times. I didn't kill anything with it but I didn't see anything while carrying it either. So I want to spend some more range time with it this summer. Another gun that everyone needs one of I think. I love the feel and balance of a Lever action. And I really like the thump of the 30 30 round

[​IMG]