close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The .270 Winchester (long)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by bassman-dan, May 12, 2007.

1. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

"This [the .270 Winchester] is a magnificent round built long ago by modifying the .30/06 case to .277. It has been found over the years almost impossible to improve upon it."-Jeff Cooper, Custom Rifles

Twenty-five years ago, I was a big fan of Outdoor Life writer Jack O'Connor....had been for many years.
    So, when it was time to choose a caliber for my new deer rifle, I chose Jack's favorite- the .270 Winchester.
    Got me one o' them fancy new Winchester model 70 Featherweights. OMG, it was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen...and it even turned out to be accurate.

"I think a good .270, with good loads, is the finest weapon a wilderness lover can get for wandering all over the continent."-Col. Townsend Whelen, Rifles for the Wilderness Lover

Now, don't get me wrong. I am well aware that there are a lot of good calibers out there that do a fine job. The '06 (most popular), 308, 7mm, 280 Rem., etc, etc....the list is endless(I own a few of them). Its just seems like the gun makers are going bonkers with new calibers. Ruger, TC, Remington, WSM, WSSM, etc.
    I know, I know, they're just selling rifles but its getting silly. How long are some of these going to be around? Will you be able to find ammo for them in 8 or 10 years?
    In the meantime, I'll still be tromping the woods with my old battle-scarred .270. It has been an accurate, reliable friend for a long time.

“David, listen to me. Last year I had a client who brought a .270 because the safari took every cent he had and he couldn’t afford another rifle. He killed 16 head of game with 16 shots. How can you do better than that?”—Ian Manning, professional hunter, Botswana, 1978, after I had been nattering at him for a week about which cartridges were best for Africa

Quotes from blog of David Petzal:http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/05/quote_of_the_da_5.html#comments

2. Skyhook

Skyhook

Well, as I have stated on similar postings, I agree whole-heartedly with Jeff Cooper's analysis and comment on this great cartridge. Loaded correctly, there are few north country game it will not effectively dispatch. (My 2centavos.)

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

it would be a .270 Winchester!

Except it would be a Remington 700 BDL in .270, cause thats what I have, and it's lefthanded to boot. 15 years ago when I had it in my mind I was only going to have one Hi-powered rifle I opted for the .270, and have been nothing less than pleased with my choice.

I have been getting dime sized groups at 100 yards since it's first time at the range, and I can shoot it with 130 grain bullets all day long without gettting a sore shoulder. Kicks less than a 30.06, shoots faster, and flatter. Definetly a fine choice for a hunting rifle, IMHO!

4. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

It was about 15 years ago that I reached the same conclusion. I had been switching back and forth between my rifles arbitrarily.
    Then, one day I was watching a Mississippi canebrake when another hunter ran a couple of nice bucks nearly over me. In the dense brush with two nice bucks up close, my right thumb went on auto-pilot and just for a fraction of a second, went for the location of a safety switch that was on a different rifle.
    Unfortunately, that very small delay in the shot cost me the better of the two bucks. Since that day, I only hunt deer with one rifle.

5. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

The .270 Winchester rocks!

6. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

I traded for an interarms Mark X .270 the other day for use primarily as a deer gun but what is the largest game to take with a clean kill. Called Hornady and Remington and they said they'd research it and get back to me. Most of my hunting has been done .308 or 30/06.

7. tjpet

tjpet

During my BG salad days (early 70's-mid'90's) I killed everything in the intermountain West with a .270 - deer, antelope, elk, bear, moose, etc. using Jack O'Connor's old handload (130grn. Nosler Partition, 62.0grns. war surplus H4831, WW brass.) Gun used was a 1953 Winchester Model 70 w/old style Weaver K4 scope (dot reticle) in Redfield mounts. A bit heavy to tote in the mountains but who notices when you're young and full of piss & vinegar. Sighted in 3" @ 100 yards I was good-to-go out to 300 yards with a center chest hold. Never found the gun or load lacking for range and power. All you had to do was put the bullet in the right spot. The only thing I'd change today would be to get better glass. The K4, although tough enough to beat a grizzly to death with, wasn't optically the brightest scope in the world. Much better choices today.

8. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

Were moving back to West Virginia this Summer and the largest I'll likely encounter will be a black bear. Not looking to take one but also don't want to be dinner for one. Most of the loads I can find locally are light this one has a scope on it that's worth as much as the gun. Leupold 4x12. Have some family land that hasn't been hunted in 20 years and I understand the deer have become somewhat overpopulated on it so I plan to fill my quota this fall. Also 10 year olds first hunt so hopefully something for him to remember.

9. Skyhook

Skyhook

A really good post. :thumbsup:

"Hit 'em where they live", my dad used to tell us.

The comment on bullet selection and the ability to hit the mark sums it all up, I believe.

My .270 is also an old Mod 70.. sweet rifle.

10. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Check out the ballistics of the Hornady 130 grain Interbond HE load. Not that you would ever need the extra energy over the standard loadings but its nice to know what the 270 can do with some of the modern loads on the market.