The 1st Mass Murder in the US

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlocknSpiehl, Oct 14, 2015.

1. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

TheJ likes this.
  2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    They tossed in gas until he surrendered, cuffed him, and hauled him away & interviewed him.
    :dunno:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

TheJ likes this.

3. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

My former neighbor, Charles Cohen, was a survivor of the Unruh attack. He was 12 at thetime, and his father, mother, and grandmother were killed. He moved away about 8 years ago, and passed away shortly after.

TheJ likes this.
  4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

There were many mass murders commited in the US before this one. I was trying to come across a school shooting in 1906, that I read about years ago, when I found this. It is a long read and the guy's writing style is a bit hard to follow, but it is a hell of a story:

The Bath School Disaster
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

http://daggy.name/tbsd/tbsd-x.htm

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Mrs.Cicero, TheJ and Caver 60 like this.
  5. 308M1A

308M1A

Around 2009, about a month before Unruh did iirc. From the article.

6. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

That sounds about right. I remember noting that he did not live to see Unruh die.

Ironically, in 1972, there was another mass shooting within spitting distance of his home in Cherry Hill.

Edwin Grace shot 12 people in an office building, killing 6, before shooting himself.

7. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Interesting article. The more things change the more they stay the same. The shooter was gay, used a 9mm auto (Luger), had PTSD (from WWII), was a loner, lived with his mom and could not hold a job or finish school.

Doubtful the shooter would have lived until the ripe old age of 88 had this occurred in Texas. Good old New Jersey; disarm the citizenry, pamper the killers.

Wonder if President Truman immediately gave a speech about disarming all Americans before the bodies were cold.

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Yeah, I thought the headline was very misleading, but I was referring to the pseudo-psychiatric care and lack of court trial afterwords and the way he was questioned over the years. Also, the witness description of how "more than 50 officers...began blasting away at the apartment with machine guns, shotguns, and pistols, even though some in the crowd, were in the line of fire." And nobody complained! Imagine today...

vikingsoftpaw likes this.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Well, not even close to the first recorded mass murder in U.S. history. Even Wikipedia record the first American school mass shooting as 1764 (10-11 killed). I guess that one gets a pass because it wasn't the "United States" yet and even William Vincent Smith gets a pass because he murdered sailors on a U.S. ship, but outside the country. How about the Villisca axe murders, in 1912? - 8 killed with an axe in Villisca, Iowa; never solved. Even famous incidents like the Mountain Meadows Massacre, in 1857 - I know, that was in a territory, so it doesn't count.

I got through the first sentence before deciding the story already lacked credibility.

TBO and TheJ like this.
  10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

I suppose technically, King Philip's War doesn't count since you wrote US...

Bruce M likes this.
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

According to anti-gunners, mass murder by definition requires a gun. And is by definition YOUR fault.

TBO and TheJ like this.
  12. napp32

napp32

It was a kinder, gentler time back then. Look how nicely he was dressed at the time of his arrest. :tbo:

TBO likes this.
  13. NMG26

NMG26

All the warning signs were there............we hear that all the time. It is a coin toss when you bump into this type of situation, nobody was ready for it. We have seen it enough to at least try to be ready.

14. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Absolutely!
    The thing is though... most in the media won't talk about Bath MI because it wasn't a mass "shooting". It's like it doesn't count. I think in their mind, unless it fits the modern "gun" violence theme they espouse, it just doesn't count as worthy of discussion. Apparently, murder isn't really that bad unless it is done with a gun.

15. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

It was clearly a hatchet job to demonize stamp collectors and model train enthusiasts.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I had even forgotten that Bath Twp. was before this.

17. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I lived in Bath for ten years. The last survivor of that bombing died a while I was living there. The bombing wasn't well-publicized because the Charles Lindberg crossed the Atlantic the next week and the media chose to focus on that instead. Walking through the town cemetery always made me sad because of all the children's gravestones, all with the same date, many from the same families...