close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

That time again--washer rec's

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ddbtoth, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

My Whirlpool Sport Duet just took a dump (Flashing F-01 in the time display), 1 1/2 years after I bought it. Called Whirlpool, they thoughtfully reminded me it was a 12 month warranty and said tough luck, gave me some names of local people who can fix them. He is coming tomorrow, will see if it is worth it or not. If not, will get the biggest, plainest top loader I can find and forget about it. Who would be a good manufacturer to buy from just for a simple washer?

2. 2afreedom

2afreedom

If you have an actual repairman coming out you might ask him which brands he recommends. I have never understood how putting a stinking computer in a washing machine made it "better"-the ones with the older solid state controls wash clothes just fine and you can fix them much cheaper when they break.

3. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Maytags are still good. Our last one died in ten years but with two kids we do a lot of laundry. The transmission was seizing and was almost half the cost of a new machine. I bought a slightly dented new Maytag for a big discount. Ended up putting in a much bigger dent installing it!

From what I've read, avoid front loaders- yes they save money but the cycle is very long. When you start it, you're locked into the cycle (can't add more clothes). They tend to leak, get mildewy, and never 'really' clean your clothes. We rented a vacation house that had some high end LG front loaders- what a joke! Took all day to wash and dry two loads of beach towels.