That satisfying holster "click" - Part II

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Eric2340, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

That satisfying holster "click" - Part II

I'm currently considering another kydex holster after trying a couple different ones and wondering about the tension/hold of the Bravo Concealment "BCA Gun Holster" - OWB (formally known as "The Patriot") -

http://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/gun-holsters/products/kydex-gun-holster

[​IMG]

What I really want to know is once seated or when putting the gun into the holster, how much tension is there and do you really get that "click" feeling once it's in?

I know this probably seems like a stupid thing to be asking, but I am just one of those that likes to feel that "click" feeling once the gun is seated - more of a "me" mental thing than anything else, but it bothers me none the less.

A little background -

I actually ordered a Raven Phantom that was made out to be the "be all to end all" last year, and while it was a very well made holster, once it got here I was NOT happy with the tension it held on my gun (Glock 30SF) and returned it. :(

The gun never really felt "tight" in the holster or where I was happy with it, and if you gave it the "shake test" it came right out. :(

Now I'll be 100% honest w/ you, I never tried carrying outside the house with it and it did NOT ever fall out or come out while I was testing it around the house, and Raven was MORE than accommodating in allowing me to return it and giving me a FULL refund on their dime. I have NOTHING bad to say about Raven, I just found the Phantom not for "me".

I then tried a used N82 Pro IWB holster, and again while it is a nice holster and VERY comfortable, I just found it not for "me" again, as I do not prefer IWB holsters in general. :( Again, great holster, just not for "me".

I am currently using the Safariland 6378 ALS holster and LOVE the holster it's self and the ALS locking feature (it blows the doors off the BH Serpa and is much safer to release also). But sadly it it's more of a range holster and less of a concealment one - it sits too far away from the body and hangs too low too. :( Safariland offers a different mounting plate which I tried for it, but that one make it sit TOO high, and then it leans away from the body and sticks out, so the gun goes from sitting to low to now tilting out too FAR as it mounts too low on the holster body making the gun top heavy. Oy vey..............

I live in So. Fla and cargo shorts and a t-shirt are the norm almost 10 months if not more out of the year. Anything heavier or a second covering garment are not an option.

I'm not a fan of leather and love the idea of kydex for the Glock. I need something that both carries well against me and is comfortable, but I also want something with enough tension on the gun that I am comfortable with it too. I am not hung up on a locking device or retaining strap on a holster as I understand they have their short comings too. I have tried leather before, but have also not been able to find one that I was 100% comfortable with or that I felt held proper tension on the gun.

There's just something about that "click" when it goes in that just gives me a warm fuzzy inside. :)

Please let me know on your thoughts and opinions on the Bravo Concealment line, I know they come pretty well recommended.

Thanks -

2. ewetstone

ewetstone

What click?? I see nothing on that holster that would suggest any type of retention feature.

You want your carry gun to be locked into your holster?? Makes no sense at all to me.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

You may want to look at :Conceal-X" holsters...I have used one of their for years and it walks & talks
    My very favorite was made by a fellow Jason Swink...aka the "Swinkster" who has mysteriously dropped completely off the radar screen...I bought one of his...sold it to a customer who "just had to have it" and then could not find Jason again...I even posted a thread a year ago asking for any info about him...nada...so I found Conceal-X and like them a lot for the money

4. Eric2340

Tension. :)

I did not say anything about "retention" (although Bravo does offer a Level II retention holster, and the Safariland ALS I already have is a retention holster), I was not asking about that.

I asked about "tension" and I wanted to know do you get that "click" once the gun is fully seated.

SOME kydex holsters do this. I had a Sidearmor holster years ago for a non-railed version of the G30 (my old gun) that did this. Sidearmor no longer offers the same version of this holster or for the railed G30.

I'd like to find one that has this feature for my G30 and possibly other Glocks as I am not 100% satisfied with the SL ALS.

5. Eric2340

Thanks, Conceal-X was one of the names I could not remember today when I was doing an online search for kydex holsters, along with Code-G, Black Dog Concealment, and some others.

Thanks, I'll check them out w/ some others.

6. Eric2340

I'd still like to hear some comments on Bravo though, what I found online comparing them to Raven was not all 100% one way or another. I've already tried the Raven and not had it work out, I'd like to hear some more on Bravo and other OWB kydex holsters?

Thanks -

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. GatewayGlock

GatewayGlock

I have that same Bravo holster in the non light supporting model, and like it a lot so far. However, it is also more of a range holster than to conceal. I found that it sits a little high and sticks out from the body, leaning the butt of the gun away from your side enough to not conceal in any way. For your questions though, it does have that "click" when holstered, and when i held mine upside down(empty gun of course) with a small shake the gun did not fall out.

Nice product, just not good for concealment IMO.

ETA: I also have the AIWB holster on the way for my 42, am looking forward to it and hope its just as nice.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's one big holster for concealment. Have you ever considered a leather holster? Are you carrying a concealed weapon with a tacticool light?

9. Eric2340

PERFECT, thank you. :)

You second part of your answer was my next concern, as how well it held it up against the body.

Thank you :)

10. Eric2340

Leather is my second choice, but I prefer kydex if possible.

No that is just a stock photo, I could not find a good one that did not have a dark background where you could not make out the holster of a non-light mounted holster. I had no intention of using a light on a carry gun.

Thanks -

11. Fishinglink

Fishinglink

I had 2 MT Holsters (bare bones and sidekick), they had great tension and a very positive click. Going to order another for my G23 for IDPA in a week or two. Tony is a great guy and will work with you every step of the way. Strongly recommend. Just bought a Comptac Ctac from classifieds here. Should be here in a few days, hoping it works just as well.

12. glock35er

glock35er Millennium Member

I will have to disagree with the not good for concealment comment...with a good tight belt mine rides right up next to my side.High and Tight...Probably depends on body type too.It does offer a nice audible click and a great fit ...hope this helps.

13. RCP

RCP

I'll add another vote for the concealment-X line. I use this one for my G19 and G26 and I love it. It does give you that positive "click" I think your looking for and does not fail the shake test.

[​IMG]

14. cunroe

cunroe

out--

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  15. Windjammer

Windjammer

Yup. Personally, I hate "the click" and prefer leather exactly because there is NO "click".

It all goes back to a bad experience with a cheap Fobus kydex that "clicked"….and once you heard that…..the pistol was NEVER comin' out again!

I hate the click and I am just recently getting to the point where I'm willing to trust kydex again…..but still prefer leather.

16. Eric2340

I don't personally feel comparing a Fobus holster and a GOOD kydex one is a really fair example in my opinion. :(

Sorry to knock anyone's Fobus holsters, but they are what they are, you get what you pay for in the holster business. :(

Sorry :( -

17. Eric2340

Just to clear the air on this, I by NO intention am insinuating that I think that the "clicking" sound when inserting a gun into a kydex holster means it is a sign of retention of ANY kind what so ever. :(

"That satisfying holster "click" was simply the tittle of another thread another fellow GT'er used when the BH Serpa and SL ALS and other kydex holsters were being discussed last year.

My desire for "that satisfying holster "click" thing is simply a warm fuzzy that I like in my MIND and is a ME thing.

That does not make one holster better or less than another holster in the real world, but is simply something "I" like and prefer.

Again, I am open to any and ALL options, as long as the gun is held securely while being carried, and more of mental thing for me. :)

18. akdiesel

akdiesel

My Raven Concealment is super tight. It's a loud click and such positive retention the first few draw strokes were difficult. I am coming back to the Glock family today and plan on another.

19. Eric2340

Anyone have any kind of experience with this holster or an "avenger style" one (NOT a pancake or typical OWB holster like everyone is making now!) like this?

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB-V2.html

I'm looking into something like this, or maybe even the same thing in leather which apparently has been around for a while?

Thanks -