Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don’t know much about bullets except that they go bang, I’m pretty sure that’s not supposed to happen. thunderbolt bult out of an AA conversion on my G19-3

Product Metal Brass Bronze Cylinder

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Tagged

Reactions: Old Buzzard 74

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
looks like an out of battery fire, but more importantly, what caused the OOB?

check your chamber, make sure there isn't anything lurking in there like a fired case that split around the circumference, leaving the front half in the chamber

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like an out of battery fire, but more importantly, what caused the OOB?

check your chamber, make sure there isn't anything lurking in there like a fired case that split around the circumference, leaving the front half in the chamber
Thanks. I didn't realize exactly what happened until later. My AA kit is getting a little finicky in its old age, so I didn't think anything of it - just popped it out and ran a few more magazines before calling it a day. Then I took a closer look and saw what really happened. I have no idea what caused the OOB if that's what happened. That particular round was 3 or four into a 10 round mag that had been running just fine before. I ran another ten through that mag afterwards without any issue. It's possible there was some build up in there that got blasted out with subsequent rounds. Needless to say, it will get a thorough cleaning before getting used again.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,784 Posts
Thunderbolt ammo is notoriously bad and dirty. I've also seen where the bullet expands with age. I have two bricks that I plan on giving away to someone I really don't like.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thunderbolt ammo is notoriously bad and dirty. I've also seen where the bullet expands with age. I have two bricks that I plan on giving away to someone I really don't like.
Good to know. I’ve never had a problem with the Golden bullets (I know many people have). I shot have a bricks worth of thunderbolts out of my 617 today without any problem - except that they were all
Over the paper. I’ll just use them in the revolver and count my blessings that I didn’t mess up my G19 with them

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
I also have an AA .22 kit, and it has to be the pickiest conversion kit I've ever experienced.

Cleaned & lightly lubed, Cleaned and heavily lubed, or Clean and Dry - *might* get 150 rounds in on a session.

So I've left it sitting in the dark for about 9 years. Maybe it's ready to come out and play...

Maybe in the spring!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my AA kit that I use on my Gen4 23 but after trying a couple different types of cheaper bulk ammo, I'll be sticking with the Rem Gold, far fewer issues than anything else I've tried and it seems to get better as the round count goes up

Reactions: dudel

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like mine as well. It used to eat anything, now it will only eat Golden. While it might have been a fluke, im not sure I want to try the Thundrrbilts anymore. I’ve got a conservative 4,000 rounds through mine, probably closer to 5-6k.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
AA manual says stick with certain recommended brands/types of .22s, so I do with mine. So far, no issues. Kit is on a Glock 17 frame.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AA manual says stick with certain recommended brands/types of .22s, so I do with mine. So far, no issues. Kit is on a Glock 17 frame.
If memory serves, the manual recommends Federal - which doesn’t work in mine - even when it’s the same bullet weight/type. It recommends against Rem Gold, but it works in mine. I won’t complain, it likes bulk, cheap ammo!

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
I like mine. AA said that Remington GBs were among the ammo they recommended. I tried it, it worked, and I've stuck to the GBs when using the AA kit.

The burst case looks like it burst at the rim. Could just be a weak case. Those 22LR cases look like the old balloon head cases you'd find in old 38Spl. They are weaker than the more modern solid web cases.

See the pic in post #3
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/what-is-a-balloon-head-case-please.745994/

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, learned something new today, thanks.

I also have an AA .22 kit, and it has to be the pickiest conversion kit I've ever experienced.

Cleaned & lightly lubed, Cleaned and heavily lubed, or Clean and Dry - *might* get 150 rounds in on a session.

So I've left it sitting in the dark for about 9 years. Maybe it's ready to come out and play...

Maybe in the spring!
I've gone through an entire Rem Gold box of 525 in one session without issue (I consider a handful of FTE or FTF with bulk 22 just part of the game). Of course, the kit was beyond filthy afterwards, but that goes with the territory.

Reactions: Pierre!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.