close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thanks Open Carriers

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bren, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So, Kentucky has about the best weapon carry laws in the country (other than, maybe Alaska) - open carry anything, anywhere other than a non-food-serving bar, with no permit, carry in car openly or glove compartment with no permit (bill pending to include any compartment of a car) carry concealed nearly anywhere except the legislature, courts, etc, with a permit, carry ANY weapon the feds let you possess, you name it. Somebody decided to try to change that by rubbing noses in it (and one apparently carrying concealed in a palce prohibited by statute):
    Best carry laws in the country, until just-got-my-first-gun political activist wannabes get involved. Hope this idiocy doesn't snowball. At the very least, it will hurt the pending pro-gun legislation.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. 2afreedom

2afreedom

Under state law, visitors to the Capitol may openly carry guns and lawmakers with a concealed-carry permit may carry a hidden gun, he said.

While I personally would not open carry in the state capitol it sounds like there is no choice if you are not a legislator-you either open carry or go unarmed. It might be simpler if the legislature gave the people the ability to conceal carry and the situation might largely resolve itself.

3. DrMark

DrMark Dr Dew

Nice trolling, Bren.

Someone will come along and take the bait.

4. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

Arizona is quite similar.
    :wavey:

5. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

So you're supposed to self-limit your rights to keep your rights? That's some ignorant logic...

6. DrMark

DrMark Dr Dew

We have pretty good laws in VA, too.

Sounds like KY would do well to adopt concealed carry in the legislatures, like VA allows. The overly-sensitive ninnes would have less to bleat about.

As 2afreedom also pointed out, the fuss would likely go away for the most part.

7. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

V.A. has great laws and I am glad to live here, beats NJ.

Is the bait that the Demms are scared because they passed the stupid Health care bill?

8. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Bren, I don't know where you're headed with this, but there appear to be some misrepresentations in your title and lead in.

The man police removed from the gallery, what caused them to remove him? What did he do to draw attention to himself? He wasn't open carrying. He wasn't even carrying.

Could it be that he left his firearm in his car because he planned on creating a disturbance?

There is no mention that the other armed persons in the gallery, the ones open carrying, caused any disturbance, is there?

Try to keep representations of events factual.

Thanks...

9. cbsaf

cbsaf

Don't thank open carriers that are following laws and enjoying their rights. Thank the people that keep them from peacefully doing so.

10. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

So true. The bigger problem besides ignorant logic is that the OP didn't even bother to read what he posted, or can't comprehend it.

As was already stated, the guy wasn't even carrying at all.

11. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Maybe the people so scared should get their permits, or OC also........ :whistling:

Red

12. Trigun

Trigun

It's Kentucky. So any politician who tries to get too strict won't have a job. You could probably fire a few rounds off in the ceiling and a Kentucky politician would ask you to please keep it down. Sure you have that Louisville area but they just exist to remind Pitino that he shouldn't have left Lexington.

13. farkill

farkill

Sounds like whether he was carrying or not, he had intentions to be noticed, which doesnt seem to be all that uncommon these days. Concealed carry is illegal in the chamber, his holster was obviously going to be noticed by the folks who are trained to notice such things. I suppose the police who saw that he had something bulky under his loose fitting shirt that looked a lot like a holster were supposed to just turn their heads ? Because they couldnt determine with certainty that it actually held a gun?

Now, for sure, once it was determined that he was running on empty he should have been de-hassled and allowed to get on with his day. Trouble with that is that I have no problem at all imagining him getting all indignant about his rights and running his yap to the state boys. So he didnt get knocked on a carry issue, he got knocked for being a dumbass and just an *** in general.

I could be totally wrong here, but given the stuff I read all the time about these extremist idiotic "to hell with intelligence, I rely on my rights" types . . I'd say his "disturbance" went a long ways to push a few on the fence legislators right off the fence and into the "no guns at all" pasture.

Thats a good question.
    I can imagine an answer.

Like a lot of other in your face carry types, his agenda was all about making his own little politcal statement. So he chose the most provocative means possible to be legal, and pushed it in front of the guys tasked with providing security to the capitol building. Still imagining here, but I'm thinking that when he was approached, he immediately took great offense that an officer of the law was all set to trash his rights. Then I'm thinking he got all vocal about it in an attempt to draw attention to himself in front of the crowd.

As a disruption to the official proceedings, he was already marked for the door, but like any other in your face advocate I've heard about, he prefers to overlook his own assinine behavior and portray the entire event as an attempt to abuse his right to wear a piece of leather under his shirt.

Yep, thats how I imagine it:whistling:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  14. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

You quoted me, and I don't think we are talking about the same thing. He didn't get "knocked" on a carry issue because he wasn't carrying.

The OP didn't bother to read this SUBTLE point when he decided to thank an open carrier for messing everything up. The dumbass didn't OC, sounds like a bunch of whining about a retard to me.

15. farkill

farkill

Well, I agree witht he whining about a retard thingy, but I still see the connection that the OP is making with the retard and those who choose to OC in the capitol. The OC guys are visually disturbing to the good and honorable representatives , and that uneasyness was heightened by the retards actions.

if we look at this portion of the Herald- Leader article . . .

. . . we can see that at least a few Kentucky house members were able to make the connection as well. These arent my words OR the OP's words, but rather what was printed in black and white per the Herald-Leader. It may be the OP's rant we're feeling here, but those legislators are the ones who will make it felt in KY.<!-- / message -->

16. Fiery Red XIII

Kentucky lawmakers forced people to OC or NOT CARRY AT ALL there...they made this mess. If they didn't want to be disturbed, allow CC!

Red

17. Fiery Red XIII

If they were THAT worried, how'd he get through the metal detectors and allowed in so far (according to quotes in the article)?

Red

18. farkill

farkill

I dont know, I was just imagining :tongueout:

Seriously though dude, when the fact that the guy was wearing gunleather became obvious to someone, he was approached and whhatever happened, it didnt go well for dumbass or gun rights advocates. CONCEALED CARRY IS ILLEGAL IN THAT BUILDING . . . I dont care even a little bit why it is or whether it's right or wrong, and I wont argue either part of that with you or anyone else. It is simply the law, and this guy was doing something that brought suspicion upon himself of breaking it. And he was approached or confronted and blah blah blah, something occurred that warranted his expulsion. It's unlikely he was thrown out just because he had a holster on his belt, regardless of how he may want to portray it.

And yes, because I see facts and use reasoning rather than blindly defend stupidity in people under the guise of 2A rights , I have been called a closet gungrabber. I turn the other cheek to those idiots and put my vote where my mouth is.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No, you are supposed to use your freedoms responsibly, to avoid somebody trying to restrict them to control the irresponsible.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

May depend on where he went through - outside of the legislative chambers, concealed carry has been (maybe up until this year:upeyes:) legal in our entire capital, from supreme court to the governor's office. You can go through the metal detectors wearing a gun and they just check your permit.