close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thanks Nipperwolf

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by sjfrellc, Feb 19, 2006.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

For suggesting the white balance preset. Although I haven't got around to using the preset white balance, your post reminded me to try a f1.8 50mm lens for indoor basketball instead of my zoom lens for my D70.
    As you can see, I should have used the preset white balance at this parents against kids scrimmage.

[​IMG]

2. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

you're welcome. glad I could help. that little lens is great for the price, isn't it! I picked up th HN-2 lens hood for it recently.

[​IMG]

speaking of preset, check these out;

when I picked up that lens, I went to watch one my great nephew's game. the gym has those nasty sodium lights. here's what the pics look like out of the camera using the incadescent WB;

[​IMG]

;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P

went back a week later and tried "incadescent -3", after some recomendations from another forum.

[​IMG]

a little better, but still ;P ;P ;P

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

as Paul Harvey would say, "Page 2"

went back to that gym for my great niece's game last weekend. used the grey side of my Lastolite for pre-set. here's a pic straight from the camera with no PP.

[​IMG]

;f;f

here's that pic with just a standard "quick fix" with PSE4.

[​IMG]

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

4. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

To use the preset white balance can I use either an official grey scale (I don't have one) or a white sheet of printer paper with a 92 brightness as the reference?

I was using the sports mode to take the indoor basketball pictures, but to use the preset metered WB I assume I will have to use the "P" or "S" mode. What settings are you using for the basketball?

5. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

I've read that copier paper isn't good to use because some of it has a little blue in it or something. I'd look around and get something designed for it. I use THIS . folds up into about 5".

for settings, I shoot in manual mode.

the pics above were ISO 800
    f2.2
    1/160

the pics in my pre-set thread were the same, except for ISO 1600.