close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thank you Fredj338

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RustyFN, Mar 19, 2010.

1. RustyFN

RustyFN

Fred thanks for talking me into buying a pound of WST. I went to the range today and was very happy. WST is a very clean powder and accurate like you said. I can't wait to work some loads up in 9mm also. What I shot today was 45 auto. I loaded some at 4.4 grains, 4.7 grains and 4.9 grains. All of them shot and functioned fine. I shot them all at a standard IDPA target from 15 yards.

[​IMG]

The target might not look that good but for me it was, let me explain. In 1988 I had an eye injury that left me totally blind for two years. After two years the good lord gave me back my vision. I never shot a gun until four years ago. The last four years I have been trying to shoot right hand left eye because my right eye isn't good enough to see the sights. Today I decided to shoot left handed for the first time so I am very happy with that target. There are 90 shots in there. I am going to do just about all of my training left handed this year and shoot my matches left handed and see how it goes. Sorry for going on with the long post but it was a great day all around. Thanks again for turning me on to WST.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Good for you Rusty... I always admire a man who doesn't give up, it's the mark of... well... it's the mark of a real man.

Using my left hand I'd be fortunate indeed to hit the ground with a bowling ball.

BTW... what is that green stuff at ground level... some sort of movie special effect or just green snow left over from St. Patty's day?

Good job.

Jack

3. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Most impressive. Determination and skill can roll right over obstacles. Keep shooting and watch those groups get even smaller. Good luck in the matches this year.

4. RustyFN

RustyFN

:rofl: Spring is in the air my friend. Thanks for the kind words.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

So you went from being blind to having the ability to hit center of mass at 15 yards with either hand? Good job! I see people without that kind of set-back every time I go to the range who can't shoot that well.

6. Bultx1215

Bultx1215

Good deal, Rusty. I was supposed to hit the range today myself, but ended up not.:crying: I loaded up some of those same ones as well...4.4 and 4.7. Which one did you like the best?

7. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Thats pretty cool Rusty!
    I'm impressed!

WST :thumbsup:
    Fred converted me too,,

Bob

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Looks like Fred has convinced a lot of people to come out of the closet... I think maybe I'm on the wrong forum. :whistling:

Jack

9. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Thanks for sharing your story and thanks to Fred for sharing his knowledge. :thumbsup:

Bob :cowboy:

10. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Nope your at the right forum, your train of thought gets off track easy.

:tongueout:

Bob

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I can never find pistol data on WST... I've wanted to try it, but its not listed in my manuals for the FMJ rounds I load.. Where do you get data for it? Winchesters site isn't much help.

Good shootin'..

IGF

12. Bultx1215

Bultx1215

Between here and Winchester, I was able to get the .45 data. 9mm was exclusively here.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Well done Rusty! I feel your pain my friend. I almost lost my sight in my left eye due to a partial detached retina 10yrs ago. Gave up CAS shooting because I couldn't use a long gun for a year after surgery. I was lucky, retained my sight but now my left eye sees close & my right eye far. :freak:Then came the cataracts, but got those fixed too! So I should be shooting left eye dominate & actually practice that way, can't see the sights well enough w/ the right eye unless I am wearing glasses. Still, I can hold 2" groups @ 25yds w/ my best 1911 & 200grLSWC o/ WST on good days. Yep, pick up, move forward, never let the bastards keep you down. Glad I could help!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. XDRoX

XDRoX

I have some old manuals with WST data I'd be happy to share if you want it. Like others though I got all my data from Fred and this forum.

15. kshutt

kshutt

Hey Rusty,

Just continue to remember who blessed you with the return of your sight, and the rest, I'm sure, will fall into place for you. The target is impressive, and the depth of your determination made my day. Thank you for sharing your story. :israelflag:

16. ignantmike

ignantmike

you almost made me spit out my coffee with your use of the "smiley"......thank's for making me laugh

17. fredj338

fredj338

Hey, If I can make you laugh & get reloaders off their TG addiction, then I feel I have done a good says work.:thanks:

18. RustyFN

RustyFN

I really couldn't tell much difference. I was shooting off hand. I would probably have to shoot off a rest to see any difference. The few toward the outside of the target were my fault. I felt myself pull the gun before I pulled the trigger.

There is not a day that goes by that I forget.

I got the 45 data off the Hodgdon site but they don't have data for 9mm with WST. If you have any info for WST in 9mm I would be interested to see it. That will be my next load work up. Fred is weaning me off TG slow but sure. :rofl:

19. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

I used to use W231 for everything. Then about 10 yrs ago I started having extraction problems during a match while shooting my mod 15 revolver. Upon closer inspection, the cylinder had excessive carbon build up after the second speedloader (I scrub the cyl after each stage). A good friend and fellow revolver shooter Vic Pickett recommended WST. Problem solved. I then began load development for all my pistol rounds and now buy WST in 8 gallon jugs. Most brass comes out so clean I'd hardly have to tumble it if I didn't want to:supergrin:

Tom

20. Bultx1215

Bultx1215

:wow: Take my TG away???????:faint:Is there a 12 step program???

:rofl:

I'll try out my WST's soon...then we will see about the future of TG.:tongueout: