Texting

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Chuck54, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Chuck54

Chuck54

I'm retired so forgive me if I have forgotten a lot about the traffic laws.

I just want to know why we need a seperate law on texting? Can't the offenders be written for "careless driving" ?

2. Denied

Denied NRA Member

In Ohio "failure to maintain Physical Control" would be applicable.

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Its sort of like when Michigan passed a law against "carjacking." RA/UDAA just wasn't good enough, apparently. Now you KNOW you can't carjack or text while driving... Sigh

4. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Probably, but the laws have become more specific. I wrote a lady a careless ticket years ago for putting on makeup and driving with her knees. She contested it but the judge upheld it in court.

5. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

What about carjacking while texting??? I don't see a law on that so it must be legal right?

It's stupid people that can't use common sense and associate one law with another and need things spelled out and said slowly that force people to waste time writing up specific laws for EVERYTHING.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Because as already mentioned you need a specific law for teens and young adults to understand that Texting is careless and dangerous while driving.

Without a separate specific law they can't figure that out for themselves.

7. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I just wish everyone down here would realize a driver's license is required to drive. I don't know how many 40-50 year-olds I have seen lately that have never had a driver's license and have been driving since their teen years.. If they cannot figure out that a license is required, a new law banning texting while driving won't help that segment out either...

8. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

They are probably waiting on getting their license till after they graduate high school.

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

True dat... Most of them complain about not having enough money or time. Yet they have on expensive clothes, jewelry, and are riding on expensive rims. Or they have the strong smell of alcohol and/or a green leafy substance that resembles the smell and appearonce of an illegal substance... And we both know both the alcohol and the blunts are free and don't cost any money...

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Without all the handholding and spelling out every single common sense thing, what would politicians do all day to justify their existence?

Also, blame it on unscrupulous lawyers and bleeding heart judges who sympathize with the ignorance defense that if we didn't tell someone you can't do something, we can't then blame them and hold them accountable. Even if ignorance of the law is no excuse, it gets a lot of sympathy and play.

11. Chuck54

Chuck54

I'm suprised that some Chief LEO has not gone on an anti-texting campain and directed his troops to start writing violators for "careless" when they observe people texting while driving.

It seems that texting while driving gets a lot of lip service but nobody is using the tools at hand.

12. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Because of ............ judges!

13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I remember when that happened. Carjacking was becoming all the rage, incidents were skyrocketing, people were getting hurt. They didnt' need a new law to cover it, but they "jacked" up the penalties involved in the carjacking ordinances to discourage it.

Came down to a combination of 2 things, legislators got to pretend they were doing something useful, and it increased penalties compared to the existing laws. That was my impression at the time, anyway...

Randy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  14. jp3975

jp3975

This.

So many people do it these days and there are lots of wrecks caused by it.

It's a good thing imo. People who text and drive dont realize theyre being careless. Tell them its illegal to do so and some will stop.

15. glock_40_calibe

glock_40_calibe Glocks Rock

So, when are the laws going to go into effect saying it is illegal to mess with the radio, eat, shave, get dressed, etc., all while driving? The only thing it does is make legislatures look like they are doing something good for a change, when in reality all they end up doing in regulating common sense. If traffic is that bad, the only thing you should be doing is driving, nothing else.

16. jp3975

jp3975

Youd be surprised how many people dont have common sence.

I hear of people getting into wrecks because of texting all the time.

You shave and get dressed in the car on the way to work?:tongueout:

17. bravo-05

bravo-05

our highway laws here dont allow you to drive with a cell phone in your hand. bluetooth is mandatory....and they are even thinking about removing that.

what is nice about this law is that there is a presumption that states that as soon as the phone is in the driver's hand they are presumed to be using it....and therefore guilty.

18. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Because the legislators have already written all of the useless feel good laws from the "A" list and have to look harder for new ones.

ML

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Well, God forbid that we should ever have any actual, real training required to get a driver's license, or any real demonstration of competence required to pass the driving test. So in the meantime, just pass more halfassed laws. Who cares if new driver's license requirement piss off 16 year olds? At that age, they can't vote against the people who passed the laws, and by 18 they will no longer care.

20. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

Georgia has a 'failure to use do care when using mobile telephone,' but I won't argue at all about any extra laws on the books for cellphone, texting, READING, shaving, applying makeup, eating.:steamed:

I was taken out in December while riding my Harley. A woman turned right in front of me...too busy to be concerned about anything but herself and the very important text she was making.:steamed:

When you are texting you are composing, writing, mailing, reading and comprehending a letter WHILST operating a deadly weapon!!!!! And you are doing this on the same roads that my loved ones are on.

Whenever I encounter someone texting while driving, I want to walk up to their car with my gun(finger on the trigger) in one hand...and using my phone to text with the other hand. Unfortunately most of them wouldn't understand, because as we all know: "That could never happen to me."

Sorry....soapbox time.