Texas State Fire Marshal Report

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by trifecta, Feb 26, 2010.

1. trifecta

trifecta

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/reports/fire/documents/fmloddhouston09.pdf

This is the Fire Marshal investigation into the LODD of Captain James Harlow, Sr and Firefighter Damion Hobbs, Houston FD. It was a residential structure fire 04/12/2009.

For the funeral, about 500 firefighters from all over the state covered Houston FD stations so their guys could attend the service. They staffed the ambulance, specialized units and left us a driver for their Engines and Trucks.

It's long so I didn't copy the whole report.

Everbody stay safe.

2. Tvov

Tvov

Wow. That report was almost scarier because it was so "dry" and "official". Seemed like things happened very fast, and the two firefighters weren't really that far into the house. At the end of the report, it is mentioned a few times that it seemed like the firefighters were actually standing in the house. I am wondering if conditions weren't that hot initially, so the firefighters maybe stood up to check something, and suddenly the wind picked up and greatly increased the fire.

A crewmember standing by outside the front door actually his air pack catch on fire, just from being near the heat.

The experienced Captain didn't have his radio with him, and the rookie hadn't turned his radio on. Even with that, things must have gone downhill almost instantly, it doesn't seem like they were really that far into the house. Crawl 10 feet back along the hose and they would have made it. But in those conditions, 10 feet may as well have been 10 miles.

Thanks for posting that.

3. trifecta

trifecta

You are welcome. Glad you read it. I think it's important to learn from our past.

4. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

As a fire investigator for the Alabama SFMO, all I can say is "Damn". Just Damn!

5. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

Thanks for the post.

RIP