Texas starting 2010 right...executing a cop killer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by I'M Glockamolie, Jan 7, 2010.

1. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6802967.html

State set to execute convicted Dallas cop killer

HUNTSVILLE — A man convicted of gunning down a suburban Dallas police officer during a failed bank robbery attempt almost 13 years ago is set to receive lethal injection.

Fifty-one-year-old Kenneth Mosely was condemned for the February 1997 slaying of Garland Officer David Moore. The execution Thursday evening in Huntsville would be the first of the year in the nation's busiest death penalty state.

Another convicted killer is scheduled to die in Texas next week.

Attorneys for Mosley say his court appeals are exhausted. A request to the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles for clemency for Mosley also has been denied.

2. TXPoPo

TXPoPo

I remember that case. Think it came in as suspicous persons call at a bank and when the officer got there a robbery was going down. Glad the the "turd" finally got the needle. Hope he rots in the bowels of he11!!

3. trifecta

trifecta

Apparently, the cop killer wasn't a terrible person and his gun accidently went off 5 times as he was trying to surrender. Really?

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Kenneth.Mosley.Garland.2.1409027.html

HUNTSVILLE (AP) ―
    Close

For the third time in six months, condemned prisoner Kenneth Mosley is facing a trip to the death chamber for fatally shooting a police officer during a bank robbery attempt in Garland nearly 13 years ago.

Mosley, 51, avoided lethal injection in July for the February 1997 slaying of Garland Police Officer David Moore when a state judge withdrew his execution date and reset it for two months later. Then, in September, a day before his punishment was to be carried out, the U.S. Supreme Court stopped it.

A month later, however, the high court refused to review Mosley's appeal, clearing the way for the execution set for Thursday.

It would be the first execution of the year in Texas, where a nation-leading 24 convicted killers were put to death last year, accounting for nearly half of the 52 executions carried out in the U.S.

No additional appeals were planned to try to block the punishment, said Mosley's lawyer, Bruce Anton.

"I'm fresh out of ideas," he said.

A long-shot clemency request to the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles was rejected Monday.

"It's like throwing a bottle into the ocean," Anton said of the clemency petition.

Officer Moore was gunned down while responding to a 911 call about a bank robbery.

One of four bullets to hit him struck over the top edge of his protective vest. Mosley was shot in the wrist by another officer waiting outside and was arrested in the parking lot. Authorities found he was carrying a holdup note.

At Mosley's capital murder trial in October 1997, Dallas County prosecutors showed jurors a videotape of the shooting. Mosley's lawyers argued that the shooting was accidental, saying the weapon went off five times as their client was trying to surrender.

Mosley declined to speak with reporters in the weeks preceding his scheduled punishment.

On a Web site devoted to his case, supporters described the shooting as "a terrible accident ... in which Ken was involved and a man died ... Those who know him will tell you he never could and never will deliberately harm anyone."

The Flint, Mich., native had an extensive criminal record he blamed on drug addiction. Evidence showed he sexually assaulted a woman, was arrested for possession of marijuana and illegal knives and got busted for stealing merchandise from a Home Depot and then returning the items for cash refunds.

At the time of the slaying, he was wanted in a robbery at a fast-food restaurant five days earlier in nearby Mesquite and had been fired from his last known job at a Coca-Cola bottler for testing positive for cocaine.

Police had been summoned to the bank by an employee who called 911 after recognizing Mosley as the man who robbed it more than month earlier. Mosley was standing in line as Moore approached him and said he'd like to speak with him.

Mosley resisted. The pair struggled and fell through a window. Mosley pulled a 9 mm pistol and opened fire, killing Moore.

"I wasn't pulling it out thinking anything would happen," Mosley testified at his trial. "I was trying to get rid of it."

A witness, however, testified that she saw Mosley stand over the fallen officer and continue shooting.

Officer Moore was 32, married and the father of three. He went to high school in Middletown, Ohio, served four years in the Marines and in 1987 joined the Garland police force. He'd won numerous awards and commendations during his 10 years on the job.

4. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I hope the devil *** ****s him hourly.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

RIP Ofc. Moore

6. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

This pleases me greatly seeing a state that takes justice seriously.

7. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Yeah, that won't fly with a Texas jury.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

So... he's 64 and we're going to execute him now? I say we let him rot instead with the indignity of soiling his underpants every day and ignoring his health needs. Throw in some daily wood shampoos and let him hurt everyday to make up for the pain the family has to endure everyday.

9. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Whether he killed a cop or a grandmother, he should fry. All human lives are valuable.

10. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Made my day anyway. Line 'em up,no waiting!

11. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

With a Pineapple no less :supergrin:

12. TXPoPo

TXPoPo

That is one of the wonderful thing about Texas. We execute a LOT of folks for capital murder that don't involve the murder of a law enforcement officer. Again, 24 last year alone. However, not sure I agree "all" human lives are valuable. There are a few folks running around that are just basically wasting good oxygen the rest of us could be using.

13. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

So it's Friday morning, is this ****** dead yet?

14. drider

drider

Awesome, which states still perform hangings, and electric chairs?

15. Ribbler

Ribbler

I'd rather the tax payers didn't have to foot the bill for this morons' existence any longer. 13 years is too long anyway.

16. snair

snair

very very nice

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I believe Utah still has hanging and firing squad on the books as authorized methods of execution. There are some with one or the other, like Iowa.

Google death penalty and states and you will get a list of which methods are on the books for each state.

Personally, throwing off a cliff has always worked and it's free.

18. CajunGlock

CajunGlock Old And Cranky

19. snair

snair

no hangings but there are still those sentanced to death out at the point who have asked for firing squad. i think they are going to be limited to lethal injection

20. Gulfcop

Gulfcop Glockaholic