Texas Quail Hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Spectre66, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Spectre66

Spectre66 Guest

Who all around here hunts quail here in Texas? I'm hoping to compare notes on quail leases and WMAs. Finding a good place to hunt these days is getting harder and harder. This year I'm hopeful there will be some good hunting opportunities with all of the rain we've had. I've heard folks out in the Three Rivers area is seeing 3 hatchings this year.

Post here or contact me directly at [email protected]

2. noway

noway

( not sure if it helps )

My parents have a convey of quails in their front yard off any on ( central Texas ), but drought and water and ants plays havoc on them. They factor in feral cats, coons and yotes.

A quail has had tuff time for the last 10-15years and their populations are falling by big numbers :sad:

Some years, they are big and plentifull, other years you will be more easier to find a texas horned lizard.

fwiw: I've hunted them many years before on a hunting farm (penned quail ) just north of Corpus outside of Alice TX. The farms raised and release where plentifull but wasn't like the real deal. Right now in central florida, I have the same issues. But I do manage to get a few pen'd quails that leak into managements areas from the adjacent farms ;)

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway is correct that things are "sparse," in at least some parts of TX.

Out here in W. Texas, in 'most' plces the quail are not doing well at all. One reson is the drought. We used to see good numbers on the ranch, but see very few any more. On the other hand, I would imagine, that East TX. would be a much better direction to consider because of all the rain, and available food source.

Also, the extreme northern edge of the TX. Panhandle, close to, or on the Okla. border, is always an excellent choice. I am from the Okla. Pandhandle, and am very familiar with the border areas there into TX. I have not seen very few times when the dogs didn't have plenty of birds to work. I would just suggest anything east, and extreme north, if your wanting plenty of action, not 'far west.'

Good luck to ya!

CanyonMan

4. noway

noway

OP, have you contact quail unlimited for the TX area that you live in?
    They might have some ideas. But the truth is , real "wild" quails are getting much harder to find. Full size coveys are getting harder to find.

Most of today's quail hunting are from quail-farms that breed and release the birds back into the wild. Not the real-deal but the best we can do. Without these farms, quail sport would become extinct.

btw: 3 more nature predator or quails are hawks and then for quail egges it's snakes and even skunks.

I learned that from a quail biologist for central florida. They where taking adult and junvenile quail wings for aging and then trapping various predators and examing stomach contents. :shocked:

Right now I get most of my quail from aisle #3 in the frozen food section and it's a Japanese quail ;)

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway, they let you shoot your 12 ga. in the store?
    Japanese quail eh? What will they sell over here next....... ;)

CanyonMan

6. noway

noway

;) My local store have quail year-round ( open season no bag limits ) ;)

Believe it or not, but japan is a big source for quail. they make alot of appetizer from eggs and raise alot of quail for food consumption.

The reason being that the japanese quail ( courtnix iircc ) are raise alot more now, is due to their durability as a chick. The legs are much stronger, the youngin don't pick up dieases as easy as the bobwhite.

I also think quail are one of the best sml game birds for hunting.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, grocery shoppin for the birds is a sure way to save on shells... ;)

The way I shoot with a shotgun, I'd be better off to buy them as well.

Interesting about the Japanese quail.

Well, Good eating !
    Later.

CanyonMan