Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across a used Glock 22 (2nd Gen) at a local gun shop today that had “San Antonio Police Department” etched in the slide. It was used, but in near new condition. The lock-up (play between slide and frame) was very tight for a Glock and everything else on it looked to be in good shape – also had night sights, but vials have probably played out by now. I am in Houston and being a Native Texan, the gun holds a little more interest than an otherwise used one in the same shape, and actually I prefer the 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen. It was priced at $650 and some change, which is quite high for a used G22, but I assume it has some collector’s value, plus this was at the highest priced gun shop in Houston. Those of you that live in Houston could easily guess which one it is. Fun place to visit but all prices are on the high end – although they do offer a selection no one else can really match.

Anyway, I was wondering if the Houston Police Department ever had any such Glocks and if any made their way to the civilian market. If one was available in the same condition and price, I would rather have the HPD version, but I am still considering this San Antonio version.

TEX

·
Impossiblist
43,839 Posts
ive seen a gun with the SAPD markings or a photo of one before, but i cant remember where.

I think i may have seen it at a gun show a while back... i really cant remember now, but i know ive seen one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Summit Gun Broker had some of the Bexar County Glock 22's for a good price, can't remember the exact price. Just checked a minute ago and did not see any. They only sell online and usually have a good selection of used law enforcement firearms from various departments. Their prices always seem real reasonable as well. I have not purchased anything from them as of yet but I do know their stock moves quickly and changes frequently. Good luck in your search and hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
28,685 Posts
It was priced at $650 and some change, which is quite high for a used G22,

That is an insanely out of reality price unless it's selling in CA, MA or came with 1500 rounds of quality ammo in that caliber.

'Drew

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
An aside but about police issued used sidearms: I got my S&W 5903 TSW, with a light rail, from Summit gun Brokers online. It was pristine and like NIB! It was issued by the Garnett county P.D. Very clean and all of them went through the Custom shop for trigger jobs before they shipped to the department. Very Sweet! I was lucky to get one that probably sat in someone's desk drawer most of it's life!

:cool: :supergrin:

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
Just get a G22 from GSSF for under $400 (specifically $398.20 @ GT Distributors) and get it laser etched with the TX PD logo.

·
NRA Life Member
69,787 Posts
Ran across a used Glock 22 (2nd Gen) at a local gun shop today that had “San Antonio Police Department” etched in the slide. It was used, but in near new condition. The lock-up (play between slide and frame) was very tight for a Glock and everything else on it looked to be in good shape – also had night sights, but vials have probably played out by now. I am in Houston and being a Native Texan, the gun holds a little more interest than an otherwise used one in the same shape, and actually I prefer the 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen. It was priced at $650 and some change, which is quite high for a used G22...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $650? I wouldn't even talk to the guys behind the counter in that shop. Here a local shop (Uncle Lee's/Wing Supply) got in a bunch of night sighted police dept. trade in Glock 22's last month. They sold them for $299 + tax, but they went pretty quick. Bud's (also a local shop here, but known across the country) usually charges about $325 for police trade-in Glocks. Either way, that price is at least double what you can buy a trade-in G22 for.

·
NRA Life Member
69,787 Posts
An aside but about police issued used sidearms: I got my S&W 5903 TSW, with a light rail, from Summit gun Brokers online. It was pristine and like NIB! It was issued by the Garnett county P.D. Very clean and all of them went through the Custom shop for trigger jobs before they shipped to the department. Very Sweet! I was lucky to get one that probably sat in someone's desk drawer most of it's life!

:cool: :supergrin:

A while back shops here had Kentucky State Police S&W 4566's. Those were interesting because the KSP has never issued 4566's - they bought enough for every trooper, then decided to go with Glock 35's instead, but since they were dropping S&W and the S&W's already had the KSP shoulder patch etched on the slide, S&W wouldn't take them back and they had to sell the whole stock of unissed .45's to dealers. Interesting collectible.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Anyway, I was wondering if the Houston Police Department ever had any such Glocks and if any made their way to the civilian market. If one was available in the same condition and price, I would rather have the HPD version, but I am still considering this San Antonio version.

TEX

I don't think that Houston PD issues any particular gun. They did allow personal gun use, at one time. I think they did have a list of acceptable guns. I hope one will jump in here and let us know about current policy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ran across a used Glock 22 (2nd Gen) at a local gun shop today that had “San Antonio Police Department” etched in the slide. It was used, but in near new condition. The lock-up (play between slide and frame) was very tight for a Glock and everything else on it looked to be in good shape – also had night sights, but vials have probably played out by now. I am in Houston and being a Native Texan, the gun holds a little more interest than an otherwise used one in the same shape, and actually I prefer the 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen. It was priced at $650 and some change, which is quite high for a used G22, but I assume it has some collector’s value, plus this was at the highest priced gun shop in Houston. Those of you that live in Houston could easily guess which one it is. Fun place to visit but all prices are on the high end – although they do offer a selection no one else can really match.

TEX
I would leave that shop and not go back....$650.....WOW!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is the gun shop you're refering to Carter Country, by chance?

TEX

·
TX Open Carrier
666 Posts
I have one I paid $250 off of it from a LEO friend of mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
650 is way too much! i saw a detroit pd glock 22 at the hgca gun show last week for $399, and i thought that was too much. what gun shop is this?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't like police guns.

OKCPD had a bunch of Glock .40s that had lights on them and the frames began cracking. Glock had no explanation. The OKCPD officers really only carry Glock 9mm and .45 now. They do carry XD and M&P, and Sig in .40.

This guy was a manager at a store that sells almost exclusively to the OKCPD and we were standing in front of a case of .40s including Glock.

But I guess you didn't ask about Oklahoma did you. Haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts