close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Texas Hog hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 357glocker, Aug 27, 2003.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

OK, I want to plan a guided hog hunt to Texas. I'm looking at Vernado Grande Ranch which is located about 150 miles from San Antonio. They charge $359 for a 2 day unlimited hog and varmint guided hunt. Is this an average price? Have you had any experience with this ranch? What is the best time of the year to hunt hogs in the area? This will be the first guided hunt I will be booking, can you recommend any advice? All help will be greatly appreciated.

2. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

Haven't heard of the ranch, but that's not surprising in this big state. Give me more specifics on location, and I can tell you what the hog/varmint densities might be in that area. San Antonio is a transition area, and 150 miles in any direction from it makes a LOT of difference in the terrain you will encounter.

Price sounds a little high to me...

Take Care,
    BKD

3. noway

noway

{Price sounds a little high to me...}

Actually that price for 2 days for Hog and varmit hunting is a blessing. If they aren't charging a harvest fee that would be a great price.( IMHO )

Not 100% familiar with hunting hogs in tejas, but farther east and North-Eastern would provide more options from my just my best guess.

if you continue to far west from central tx you will start to get in Javelina land.

4. 357glocker

357glocker

I looked on the map and it is near Bracketville TX 150 miles west of San Antonio near the Mexico border. Thanks for the insights. Is there another ranch that offers a cheaper hunt but still offers quality that you can recommend?

5. noway

noway

Take alook into the "Hog hunting Magazine" that might be available at a BassPro or look for a guided-hunt guide for Texas area.

I do recall seeing alot of guided hunts closer to the Houston, Palestine and Tyler areas for Texas.

btw: I used to live in central Texas mainly in a triangle area from Corpus to San Antonio to Austin.

And my parents now relocated back to San Antonio ( actually Marion Tx in Guadalupe County ).

Also never heard of Bracketville is that like in the general direction for Nuevo Laredo/Laredo area or south going to Brownsville

edit:

I just did a search on hog hunting in Texas southern-central & came across this page check it out.

http://www.huntinfo.com/hht/

That 275lb boar, really turned me on.

6. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

Bracketville is not too far from where I hunt (near Uvalde). Hogs should be fairly plentiful in that area, but can be spotty. Example - there are NO hogs on my lease! There are more further to the southeast of that area (around Crystal City, Carrizo Springs area). Varmints should be good there as well. Terrain is arid, with lots of brush, cactus.

With no extra kill fees, you are on the upper (but not outrageous end) of price for a hunt of that type. What all does the hunt include? Make sure you have all the particulars, including kill fees if any, lodging and facilities, transportation, and how the game/meat is handled after you shoot it. You have to look at the total package.

Unless you are just sold on southwest Texas and the varmints that go with it, you would probably find more hogs, and cheaper prices, further to the east (in the Houston/Beaumont east Texas area). Not as much good varmint hunting there though. Hunting south Texas is a unique experience all by itself, and it comes down to the hunting experience you want, and terrain you are looking forward to seeing.

There are LOTS of places booking hog hunts everywhere in this state, and it's very competitive cause hogs are so plentiful, so shop around more if you have time. If I have some time this weekend or early next week, I will ask around some, and if I find a good lead, I'll let you know.

Take Care,
    BKD

7. 357glocker

357glocker

Thanks for the info BKD, I will look around a little bit more. I do know thier price include lodging and dining facilities. Not sure of the kill fees or meat storage fees. I would like to hunt in the western part of TX, I've never been to that part of the state. Once again thanks for your insight.

8. TRIDENT94

TRIDENT94

Sounds reasonable to me provided no extra kill fees. They guy has to make something for his time after all...