Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
NRA4EVR
11,891 Posts
That won’t hold up to any level of appeal. The 14th Amendment is still in effect, no matter how badly easily-frightened provincials wish that only their pet causes were covered.

·
Bathed in lavender and gasoline
4,129 Posts
"The legislation — which is named after a state trooper who was killed at a traffic stop in 2017 by someone who was out on a $15,500 bond — does not allow people accused to violent crimes to be released on personal bonds, which don't require a defendant to pay money but often require measures such as GPS monitoring. "

I thought in order to get bonded out you had to pay the bondsman a percentage of your bond, or pay it in full yourself....I have never heard of a "personal bond" which requires zero money.

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
I'd prefer a threat assessment for danger to community and likelihood of flight to avoid prosecution.

Grand theft and you have a job, house, family, and other ties to the community and the stolen money has been recovered? Totally OK with OR release.

Violent crime with weapons with no ties to the community and a criminal history of violence? You can wait until trial. And the trial will be as fast as you want it.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,661 Posts
During my career, the judge was the one who set bail at the first bail hearing following the arrest...I used to attend these hearings with all the background info on my arestee...so the judge had all the info...the Florida equivalent to Tx no cash bail would be release on recognizance, or ROR...only those who clearly were not a continuing threat for violence qualified

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
There are several Democrat elected judges in Houston that have sprung known killer's and violent rapists since their election in 2020 when the populace voted out their predecessors by straight party vote. (Just recently, Detective Everett Briscoe of NOLA PD and a friend were murdered at a botched heist in Houston by thugs out on bonds). This legislation and the new Texas voting reform law to force folks to have verifiable ID's and eliminate drive-by voting are all in response to that election. Abbott will be thrown out by mounting opposition to the new 6 week limitation on abortion. There aren't enough conservative votes to support him after that; most women in Texas are furious over limits on reproductive rights. YMMV

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
There are several Democrat elected judges in Houston that have sprung known killer's and violent rapists since their election in 2020 when the populace voted out their predecessors by straight party vote. (Just recently, Detective Everett Briscoe of NOLA PD and a friend were murdered at a botched heist in Houston by thugs out on bonds). This legislation and the new Texas voting reform law to force folks to have verifiable ID's and eliminate drive-by voting are all in response to that election. Abbott will be thrown out by mounting opposition to the new 6 week limitation on abortion. There aren't enough conservative votes to support him after that; most women in Texas are furious over limits on reproductive rights. YMMV
Are you in TX?

I disagree on your broad statement regarding women in TX. I’ll let Texans weigh in on that one.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Are you in TX?

I disagree on your broad statement regarding women in TX. I’ll let Texans weigh in on that one.
I’m in Texas and think he is going to face serious consequences for the 6 week limit. There are a lot of women who support limits on abortion, but think 6 weeks is “overboard” so to speak. The only saving grace is that it’s not a law enforcement thing, but some individual has to go and take it to court. We shall see how things shake out. Hope it’s not serious, but there will be a price paid.

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
I’m in Texas and think he is going to face serious consequences for the 6 week limit. There are a lot of women who support limits on abortion, but think 6 weeks is “overboard” so to speak. The only saving grace is that it’s not a law enforcement thing, but some individual has to go and take it to court. We shall see how things shake out. Hope it’s not serious, but there will be a price paid.
Do you know how many women I know who do support a right to choose at face value but are appalled at abortions past 6wks? And I’m aware of some who seem to be unable to make a decision inside of 6wks and/ or don’t wish to be held accountable to a decision, hence their desire for no 6wk limit…but guess what that’s life. Decisions have consequences. Decide to have an Ab or dont.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Do you know how many women I know who do support a right to choose at face value but are appalled at abortions past 6wks? And I’m aware of some who seem to be unable to make a decision inside of 6wks and/ or don’t wish to be held accountable to a decision, hence their desire for no 6wk limit…but guess what that’s life. Decisions have consequences. Decide to have an Ab or dont.
Only concerns with 6 wks I’ve heard raised is that it’s a “one cycle miss”. Having spent decades in women’s athletics I can’t count the number of women who routinely skip cycles from the stress of training. Not talking Olympians here either, so in that sense 6 wks may be a bit on the tight side. IMO the original laws for first trimester were probably more realistic. Unfortunately, when folks turned to abortion as a means for birth control instead of using it as a last resort action to deal with something truly unfortunate, it was put on today’s crazy over used trajectory.

·
Kydex Crafter
6,785 Posts
Texas knew how to clean up the streets years back.....This is not as good, but better than nothing!!!!!

Reactions: Vaquero 357

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
Only concerns with 6 wks I’ve heard raised is that it’s a “one cycle miss”. Having spent decades in women’s athletics I can’t count the number of women who routinely skip cycles from the stress of training. Not talking Olympians here either, so in that sense 6 wks may be a bit on the tight side. IMO the original laws for first trimester were probably more realistic. Unfortunately, when folks turned to abortion as a means for birth control instead of using it as a last resort action to deal with something truly unfortunate, it was put on today’s crazy over used trajectory.

And how many women train to the point of menstrual pause? Like 1.2% of the entire female population? Sure. Good example.

I got some bad news…if a woman notices a lump and is indecisive about getting it checked out….at some point in delaying there’s going to be nothing that can be done.

Overall abortion isn’t a health care choice. It’s a way to avoid responsibility of consequences to actions. And I said overall. I didn’t say every specific case.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Remove the lower limit on tubal ligations.

·
Scottish Member
12,680 Posts
That won’t hold up to any level of appeal. The 14th Amendment is still in effect, no matter how badly easily-frightened provincials wish that only their pet causes were covered.
So how does this violate 14A?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
And how many women train to the point of menstrual pause? Like 1.2% of the entire female population? Sure. Good example.

I got some bad news…if a woman notices a lump and is indecisive about getting it checked out….at some point in delaying there’s going to be nothing that can be done.

Overall abortion isn’t a health care choice. It’s a way to avoid responsibility of consequences to actions. And I said overall. I didn’t say every specific case.
Don’t disagree with you about abortion being used as a way to avoid consequences of bad choices vs some thing truly abhorrent happening to someone.

I’ve spent decades coaching women’s and girls soccer. Wish it was at the elite levels of the 1%, but it wasn’t. Still had many girls missing cycles routinely, and they were not pregnant. Maybe they were all full of poop. My wife played for years and missed cycles all the time. It’s not as hard as you think to push yourself hard enought to have your body freak out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Most folks are against abortion

But there's the 10% green haired single women and white liberal men that get their panties in a wad over this

The central american's are catholic and don't believe in abortion and that's why republicans continue to win in Texas

White liberals are too stupid to figure this out

And I'll bet anyone here $1000 Abbott wins in a landslide

·
Just lack finishing up
4,487 Posts
Most folks are against abortion

But there's the 10% green haired single women and white liberal men that get their panties in a wad over this

The central american's are catholic and don't believe in abortion and that's why republicans continue to win in Texas

White liberals are too stupid to figure this out

And I'll bet anyone here $1000 Abbott wins in a landslide
I hope you are right. But, your bet is crazy. Unfortunately, Texas is changing. Define "landside" and I might take that bet.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I hope you are right. But, your bet is crazy. Unfortunately, Texas is changing. Define "landside" and I might take that bet.
What communist idiot will the democrats serve up as an opponent?

Beto?

I’ll take the landslide bet, make it 5k

1 - 20 of 23 Posts