close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Texas Concealed Handgun Permit Backlog Eliminated

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lawman_77008, Apr 8, 2010.

1. lawman_77008

lawman_77008 JBT

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6948323.html

Concealed handgun permit backlog eliminated

© 2010 The Associated Press
    April 7, 2010, 3:51PM

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas has nearly wiped out a backlog of concealed handgun permit applications.

Department of Public Safety officials said Wednesday only 34 applications are considered late — down from about 8,300 in August. The background check is now fully automated, and DPS hired temporary workers to help catch up.

New applications are supposed to be processed within 60 days, and renewals with 45 days. Both are currently running about 20 days, said Brad Rable, deputy director of DPS.

Rable says DPS has about 9,600 applications pending. DPS officials had blamed the delays in part on a surge in applications last year. Some cases took as long as four months.

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

One more reason for me to be envious of Texas....ya'll have big feet!

'Drew

3. PIDDLER

PIDDLER

Is it not true that you can carry in a vehicle in Texas without a permit? If so this would probably reduce the number of applications and renewals. Most people I know don't actually carry on their person even when they have a CHP.:dunno:

4. gumby223

gumby223 Crime Fighter

I figured they had caught up recently, because about a month or two ago I had a CHL student of mine tell me they recieved their CHL about three weeks after they sent in their paperwork. It's about time...they were getting way behind.

5. gumby223

gumby223 Crime Fighter

That's true, but only if your not violating any other laws, except minor traffic laws. Even criminals have caught wind of this. About a month ago I stopped some gangbangers in their vehicle...it smelled of burnt marijuana. I asked the driver/owner of the vehicle if there was anything in the car that was illegal. He said "no, but I've got a couple of handguns in the car." I search the car and find the two handguns, as well as his stash of marijuana. He went to jail for Possession of Marijuana and for Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon. The whole time he tried to argue that I could not arrest him for the UCW because Texas had changed their law regarding carrying handguns in a vehicle. :upeyes: I had to explain it to him several times...:faint:

6. A/C Guy

A/C Guy

Yes, you may carry while traveling across state. That does not mean that you can carry while going to the corner quick mart for a 6 pack.

7. scottlang

scottlang Millennium Member

The back log in CHL's started just after the Obamanation was elected. But they have put on more hands to get it done.

8. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I wonder if any of the "progress" they've made, is due to the big push that seems to be underway by the anti gun groups these days? Be quite the backfire if it was/is.

Just an honest rambling question.

9. PIDDLER

PIDDLER

I have been told that there was a court ruling allowing unlicensed carry in your vehicle,no matter how far you are traveling. I have nothing to back this up except hear-say. Would a LEO or CHL instructor please weigh in?

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It's about time.

On one hand I'm glad there are so many new applicants. but on the other hand it took four and a half months to get my 4th renewal.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Interesting. I never thought about that.

What's the penalty for Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon?

12. Paul_J

Paul_J

In Texas your vehicle is an extension of the Castle Doctrine.

V -----what he said......

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No. That's one of the reasons they changed the law, to make it clear to the jurisdictions that were harassing people for doing it under the "traveling" law.

As of Sept 2007, any Texan can carry a loaded, concealed weapon in his vehicle as long as he is 1) eligible to own a handgun 2) not part of a criminal street gang 3) not committing any crime other than a class c misdemeanor.

14. gumby223

gumby223 Crime Fighter

It's a class A misdemeanor, the highest misdemeanor penalty you can get.

That's true, you can keep a handgun concealed in your vehicle no matter how far you are travelling...across state or around the block, it doesn't matter.

15. PIDDLER

PIDDLER

Thanks for the info Gumby, I have pondered letting the CHL lapse if this was found to be true.....still scratching my head about it:dunno:

16. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

That may be ok sir, as long as you can guaranty that you'll only experience "problems" when in your vehicle. If you're afoot..................

17. PIDDLER

PIDDLER

Agreed, that's exactly why I am doing all the head scratchin'..BTW my apologies to OP for goin' all off on a tangent!

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Give it a lot of thought.

For many years before the CHL I carried a handgun in the car under the old "Travel" law.
    The problem was whenever I got out of the car, to gas up, etc, I had to leave the gun in the car. So at the time I would most likely need the gun it would be in the car.

Long story, but I was involved in a quick stop robbery. If I had finished gassing up a minute before I would have been inside paying for my gas, while my gun was out in the car.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I would think that Dr Grata-Hupp might have something to say about leaving your gun in a car when going inside to have lunch as well.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes. The perfect example for the need to carry ALL the time.