TestosteroneThearpy going to start

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by racer11, Nov 15, 2019.

1. racer11

racer11

In about a week I will get my first shot to boost my level that is now at 202. I will get a shot every 2 weeks and get my level tested shortly after a couple of shots in order to see what my level is and any adjustments needed.
    What can I expect to feel and how soon after the first shot will I notice any change. The Dr said I can build up muscle tone and loose weight due to greater metabolize and I will likely have the energy I once had. Fountain of Youth shall I say, he also said it will benefit my heart and other things.

Anyone on T ??

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  2. nursetim

nursetim

Might lose hair, develop acne, get grumpy (or more so).
    I have low T, I spotted last week, I also have a family history of prostate cancer. I’ll deal with low T rather than the cancer.

Pierre!, catman71, railfancwb and 6 others like this.

3. durwood

durwood

I did the gel. Noticed a big difference in a week, life was way brighter. Two weeks in had awful low blood sugar. Testosterone increases sensitivity to insulin. Injection will likely be different. You're getting a huge dose at once so you might feel some aggression. This happened when I raised test with hcg and lasted for a week.

You will shave more.

Been a gym rat for long time. Recovery time post workout was hugely better.

Testosterone takes 6 months for maximum effect. At some point I could catch stuff easily that was falling from say medicine cabinet instead of fumbling. Been a long time downhill skier, the increased ability was amazing. Evidently it increases hand eye coordination.

With injections spaced so far out your test will yoyo. I've known guys who went from aggressive to crying.

catman71 and nursetim like this.
  4. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I’d be somewhat interested if not for the possible side effects.

I believe I’ll just stay the course with moderate treadmill and free weight workouts, enhanced with the occasional beers and/or ice cream.

FireMedic-50, Inyo Tim, dudel and 4 others like this.
  5. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I was widowed for 9 years and when I got remarried - uh --- things didn't work so well.

Testosterone shots - once a month and after about 6-7 months of that I quit!

Grumpy? Hell yes!

The anger! and rage! in a day after the shot and then a general slowdown for the next 2 weeks and just when things got mellow again - here comes the next shot and the cycle started all over again.

It got to the point where I actually feared taking the next shot ---

EDIT - T-shots are gonna get your prostate angry!
    Yup!
    BT-DT
    Fighting it now.

6. durwood

durwood

It makes no sense spacing shots out like that. Certainly going to confuse the body. Should let the patient inject a small dose every few days. My doc injects weekly which is still too long. I'm on the gel which is $550/month the injectable is 40 plus needles. He won't let me self inject cause I could sell on black market. I could sell my gel as well. Derp, copay on gel is $25

nursetim likes this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Personally, I would really study up, get like 3 opinions from doctors not standing to get anything from their opinions, call Mayo, google the hell out of it, etc. etc. etc.

When those guys were really promoting that cenegenics company, there was an expose investigative piece I watched on the risks and it wasn't pretty.

Slackinoff and nursetim like this.
  8. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

yup, been there did that. Keep an eye on your PSA cause when it goes up, the urologist will CYA himself and you wind up with a long needle up the azz

railfancwb and nursetim like this.
  9. BobbyS

yup, been there did that. Keep an eye on your PSA, cause when it goes up, the urologist will CYA himself and you wind up with a long needle up the azz

Angel likes this.
  10. nursetim

nursetim

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

11. BobbyS

yup, been there did that. Keep an eye on your PSA, cause when it goes up, the urologist will CYA himself and you wind up with a long needle up the azz

12. durwood

durwood

Been on for a decade and can't think of any side effects. Low T causes type two diabetes. Testosterone doesn't cause prostate cancer but aggravates once its growing.

Agonizer, narkcop128 and snerd like this.
  13. norcalAF

norcalAF

The shots result in too much swing. The cream/gel, patches etc will be more level. I think there is a lozenge on the market now.

durwood likes this.
  14. nursetim

nursetim

Really? Low T, hypogonadism, causes type two diabetes? Wow, they didn’t teach me to treat it with testosterone, those jerks. My dumbass has been treating it with metformin and insulin, don’t I feel silly.

PRKJayhawk, OGW, fx77 and 1 other person like this.
  15. durwood

durwood

Your psa went up? Here is one study that says its estrogen that causes prostate cancer, there are many more. Taking T can increase estrogen levels in some people. I wish estrogen was tested for on guys.

Edit, I had an estrogen done it was good. This was on T.

Early work on the hormonal basis of prostate cancer focused on the role of androgens, but more recently estrogens have been implicated as potential agents in the development and progression of prostate cancer. In this article, we review the epidemiological, laboratory and clinical evidence that estrogen may play a causative role in human prostate cancer, as well as rodent and grafted in vivo models. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134227/

16. durwood

durwood

Diabetes and Low Testosterone
    And men with low testosterone are more likely to later develop diabetes. Testosterone helps the body's tissues take up more blood sugar in response to insulin. Men with low testosterone more often have insulin resistance: they need to produce more insulin to keep blood sugar normal.Feb 11, 2019
    Low Testosterone and Your Health - WebMD

https://www.webmd.com › men › what-low-testosterone-can-mean-your-health

17. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Been at it about 8 years. I inject myself, once every two weeks. Tried the gel, but PITA and then insurance didn't want to cover. Eventually insurance wouldn't cover at all. Paid for Sams Plus, switched to intramuscular injection, now costs me less than it did with insurance.

Biggest change for me was increased stamina. Just before I started, 8 years ago, I could barely mow half my yard and would feel fatigue for a couple days, then mow the other half and repeat. A few months after starting T replacement, I could mow the whole yard and feel fine the next day. 8 years later I can mow the whole yard and wash a car after if I want to. If it affects my mood, etc I haven't noticed. But, my wife says I'm a professional ***hole, so even if it is turning my dials to 11 nobody seems to notice. Also I probably have increased muscle mass some, lost fat some (As John Goodman once put it, I maintain a consistent panda bear shape), but weight hasn't changed.

One thing I can't say it changed dramatically was the lead in the pencil. For the first few years I guess, yeah. But T replacement doesn't keep you from aging. I'm not saying it doesn't happen ... just it doesn't turn you into a 24 year old. Gotta recharge, same as any aging geezer. Muscle mass and general stamina will improve, but sex everyday isn't viable. For me, anyway. YMMV. I'm in my mid-50's with a teenager in the house and a wife with decreasing interest (who can blame her, I'm not pretty), so opportunity isn't exactly knocking the door down anyway.

Keep expectations in check, and a couple years in you'll realize an overall positive effect.

18. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

It was the VA and their program.

I was fortunate to get them that often - I bet the next option was a really BIG shot once a year.

Gel was too expensive for the VA .......and I hate the VA.

19. durwood

durwood

Can't be healthy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  20. jstrange

jstrange

I did the gel a couple years back. I did notice a big difference. Energy levels went up, which allowed me to finally start exercising. Sex drive increased and I lost a lot of weight too. I did get easily irritated and was more aggressive so my wife was not a fan. Between the bad mood and constant blood test I finally quit. I am contemplating trying again though.

21. durwood

durwood

Another effect was larger shoulders and didn't change gym routine, noticed after a year.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019