Testosterone and Vitamin D!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Glock13, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Glock13

Glock13

So, I have been feeling terrible for the past year. No energy, muscles felt really fatigued and weird (almost dry). I had virtually no sensation in any of my muscles and I had basically stopped lifting. I kept most of my size, but to a well-trained eye, it was obvious I had some decent atrophy. I am 29 and went to about 4 different doctors who thought it was everything from carpal tunnel, nerve damage to thoracic outlet syndrome. It sucked. I pretty much stopped lifting for about a year.

Finally, I got a referral to a rheumatologist and an endocrinologist. What they found....low Vitamin D and low testosterone. To make a long story short, I got prescriptions for both and am almost back to normal. I can't tell you how pumped I am. I was convinced it was a nerve problem (which are almost impossible to fix). I thought I would never lift again...but now I am back in the saddle. Now that I can lift again, I look forward to posting in the Strength and Conditioning Forum again!

2. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Glad you're feeling better. Also glad you consulted medical professionals for advice and treatment. It is odd that someone your age has a low T problem. Did the endocrinologist suggest a glandular problem as the culprit?

3. Glock13

Glock13

Thanks man! No, they did tests for pituitary tumors, etc and other low levels and came back negative. The endocrinologist said it wasn't actually that uncommon for people my age...just most people don't get it diagnosed or don't know about it.

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

If you take meds for T, aren't you also turning off your body's ability to produce T? I'd be afraid I'd need meds forever and ever to keep T levels up. IANAD... just saying. As you feel better and work out more, can you wean yourself off of the meds? Not saying that is the right thing to do (obviously, ask your doctor) but just wondering.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I suspect if it's low enough to need medication, there's not much gonna get made anyway.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I've been daignosed with carpal tunnel and thoracic outlet.

But now you've got me worried. :embarassed:

Glad you/they figured it out.

Come back with a vengeance!

7. Glock13

Glock13

Thanks man! There is nothing worse in this world than being small. Try some Vitamin D supplements if you don't already. I was suprised at how many symptoms it cured. I am now taking 2000 IUs per day. They had me on prescription Vitamin D for 10 days of 50000 IUs per day. I have no symptoms of carpal tunnel anymore. I also read "It's Not Carpal Tunnel..." by Suparna Damany. Check it out if you get a chance...it was a big help to me.

8. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

That would be HRT!

9. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Interesting stuff.

I drink a half gallon of milk a day along with 340 IU of vit D in a mulitvitamin.

But perhaps I need more.

I looked at that book at amazon but it doesn't appear to be available. Where did you get a copy?

11. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Glock13,

Just curious, what specifically did the Vitamin D cure? Even if it is anecdotal, I'd like to learn more.

12. Glock13

Glock13

A lot of the tingling in my arms and hands. My muscles had this really weird feeling...almost a dry/non-functional feeling. This pretty much all went away after my second day on the prescription Vitamin D. Also, stiffness in my joints was greatly reduced...specifically knees.

13. Glock13

Glock13

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Carpal-Syndrome-Therapy-Computer-Professionals/dp/0965510999

Also some used copies here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Its-Not-Carpal-Tunnel-Syndrome/Suparna-Damany/e/9780965510998

And a description here:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/It's+...heory+and+Therapy+for+Computer+...-a070695092

14. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Low vitamin D levels have been linked to autoimmune disorders like MS. There's a greater incidence of disorders like that in countries (like northern europe) or populations (like office cave-dwellers like me) that see less sunlight.

Things like the tingling that Glock13 mentioned are signs of extremely low vitamin D levels.

I'm taking 4000iu/daily. My neuro wants me on 2000iu/daily, but the generally accepted maximum tolerable dose is 10,000iu/daily. Load up on it.

15. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I guess I'll go check my multi vitamin.

16. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Ya, most people see as much sunlight per day as I see per month. I started taking a Vitamin D supplement at the suggestion of a doctor and I feel better and have more energy.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It's actually good to have bloodwork done showing your vitamin levels once in a while, just to know where you stand.

I daresay most people have about half as much vitamin D in their system as they really ought to have.

The funny thing about vitamin D is that you have more energy and feel better taking it until you overdose, and then one of the ways vitamin D overdose presents is fatigue and irritability. What a kick in the teeth. lol

18. ancienthacker

ancienthacker

Glock13 - did they check your prolactin level? It tends to eat Testosterone if its too high. Combine that with a Pituitary micro-adnoma and you can have real low Testosterone levels. I had some of the same symptoms you did 15 years ago. Testosterone was a huge help. Gel is more efficient than the shots...

I started adding Vitamin D at my sister's urging (family history of MS) and, until it was mentioned, didn't realize the tingle I was having in my arm was gone.

Things you learn on a gun board. Cool.

19. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I work with a lady whose husband had to start using the gel. She said it was a 180° turnaround in him as far as his energy levels and his mental state were concerned.

That prolactin bit's interesting, though. Hm.

Yeah. I have CIDP and have MS lesions presenting (they're stable now, but there). I learned all of this on the fly.

20. BradD

BradD

Might also try some of the following. Good way to get a solid supply of Vitamin D and DHA/EPA omega-3s at the same time. I have more faith in getting Vitamin D from a "food" like CLO rather than a "supplement," although I don't know that the latter won't work.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-107-cod-liver-oil-lemon-flavor.aspx