close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Testing the PDX1 180 gr .40 cal...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BurkGlocker, Mar 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

Pistol used: Glock Model 22 .40 S&W

Here was the setup for the 4 layers denim test. I put another jug behind the setup after this picture was taken. I'm glad I did, because I wouldve lost that bullet. Penetration: 12" of gelatin and was sticking out of the back of jug number 2. All I can say is... WOW!
    [​IMG]

I set up the plywood test like this to save my gelatin from wood splinters, but in the end I had to shoot into the gelatin because the bullet exited out of the side of jug five and missed my gelatin which I was using as a catch (shouldve turned it sideways; I'll remember that for next time). I re-setup the test with the gelatin. Results? 12" of gelatin completely penetrated.
    [​IMG]

Here are the bullets recovered from the test. First from left is bare gel. Second was the denim and the last was the plywood test. All expanded to at least .720" or larger, the biggest being just shy of .800". The PDX1 load definately is a performer through all barriers tested and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a deep penetrating and well expanding bullet.
    [​IMG]

BG :patriot:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. txpitdog

txpitdog

I'd like to know how this round expands and penetrates at lower velocities like what you'd see out of a 3" or 3.5" barrel...specifically my Kahr PM40. Need to set up a few tests of my own. Currently carrying 155gr Federal HST.

3. texanredraider

texanredraider

Thanks for posting this. I had been looking at these rounds. It looked to me like it was an updated and repackaged version of the Ranger Bonded line, which is a solid performer.

4. BurkGlocker

I am looking at going back out in a couple of days after my mold sets up and cures and testing them out of my G27. I definately have that test in mind txpitdog, and will get it done in short time. I have tested the 165 and 180 gr HSTs out of the G27 and they both have performed flawlessly in all tests... I believe I have those two round tests in another post... I will have to look it up for you.

BG

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Good stuff!... Thanks!

6. BurkGlocker

They are the exact same thing as the Ranger Bonded from my understanding, only in 20 round civilian packs though. The Ranger Bonded rounds are alot cheaper as well, ~$32 for 50 rounds instead of ~$20-$22 for the 20 round packs.

7. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Have you tested the Hornady TAP or Critical Defense?

8. BurkGlocker

I have used handloaded 155 and 180 gr XTPs, which is the same bullet used in the TAP pistol line, but havent dont much testing with them yet. I havent located any Critical Defense around here yet, so I am really looking forward to getting to test them. I have heard good things about them and shot some out of Dad's .380 Bersa but seemed to have misplaced the expanded bullets. I think that he may have them in with his stuff or we might have left them at the range somehow. When I do locate some Critical Defense I will definately post the results here though...

BG

9. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Thanks! I carry the TAP in my short 9's and was wondering if it would be an upgrade to move to critical defense. Not a big deal either way, because I am of the impression the most recent/modern hp's are going to perform with a small degree of difference.

10. BurkGlocker

I know that the XTP doesnt expand as much as most modern JHPs but it is hard to beat them in the penetration department. I used handloaded XTPs in my wife's old 9mm Millenium, and they didnt quite have the expansion that I was looking for, but they drove deep as hell. That was why I switched over to 147 gr HSTs in it, because it gave me great expansion and good penetration. I dont like my bullets to over penetrate, I want them to stay inside of the intended target. Call me sadistic, but I would rather the bullets have to be dug/cut out of someone who tried to do my family or myself harm...

BG

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to the G27 test!

The Ranger T Bonded 180gr has a higher stated velocity than the 180gr PDX1, but I haven't seen real life chronograph results of either load.

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

What were the chrono numbers for this round? What else have you tested? How did you make the gelatin?

13. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I agree the PDX1 is a great performer. Here's what I got out of it from my G23...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The 165 grain rounds I tested worked very well and expanded just as well as the 180's. I pick the 165 grain.