Test rode a bunch of motos this weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Apr 11, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

http://www.socaltriumph.com/

This joint threw quite of a shindig on Saturday. They had about a dozen vehicles for test ride. I should have snapped more pictures of all the available demo bikes, but working from memory: Ducati Monster S4R, Monster S2R, Monster 620, ST3, 749R, MV Agusta Brutale, MV Agusta F4 Mille (I think it was there), Triumph Rocket III, Daytona 650, Daytona 955 (I think it was there), Bonneville, Thruxton. There might have been more but these ones stood out in my mind.

I rode the S4R, S2R, the Brutale and the Bonneville. Each ride is around 20-minutes long covering about 12-miles. A big of a back road, a bit of the street and a bit of the freeway. No, you didn't get to "open'er up!" but the lead cycle (the dealer's rep) was rather leadfooted, so it was a spirited ride.

The Duck Monsters were my favorite for who knows how long but I've never rode one. Well, I am somewhat disappointed with my experience. The performances are just as advertised. The S4R is definitely a Monster by its very name. Very flickable, very agile and light. You have to be careful in the corner because the power comes quickly and you'll spin out just that quick as well. Brakes are impressive. The same can be said about the S2R except that it's not as powerful and the suspension is a bit softer but still very sporty. The S2R's brakes are disappointing though, especially the rear brake when used on its own for trail braking and such. So, why don't I like the Monsters? They felt strange to me. I don't feel connected to the bikes. I don't sit "in" it but more like perching on top of it. I don't get this feeling when I rode the other bikes. And they are fairly uncomfortable for a more or less standard street bike. Of all the things, my left hand went numb quickly from the vibrations. One woulda thunk that my right hand should go first. It would take a stout back to take these Monsters on rides longer than 1-hr duration, methinks.

The Brutale is a striking vehicle but the color scheme leaves a lot to be desired. It looks better in photos than in real life. This one is pretty much a unfaired crotch rocket. You crouch down on it! It also has plenty of oomph for the 750-cc engine but I wouldn't quite call it "brutal" as the name suggests. It's a revver just like the above Monsters. It doesn't like putting around town at lower RPM and gears. Once again, a stout back is required for long durations.

The Bonneville is a sweetheart. I had a blast riding that thing around. Definitely harken back to the days. The seat height is higher than it appears. I can't sit on it with both feet planted on the ground (the wide seat probably doesn't help). Very easy to maneuver at low street speed, it was still OK at around 70-mph. Takes a bit more leaning and pushing on the bar to get it to corner, but then it's not a knee scratcher.

In conclusion, the Monsters and the Brutale live up to their attitude/hooligan bike style. They get up and go. They handle. You can feel everything on those bikes. Very lively and spirited rides, but just keep that ride short and your back will thank you for it. The Bonneville is definitely a retro with modern manufacturing technique and carburation/electricals (at least I hope but you never know with them Britishers and their quality controls).

I had hoped to test ride the new 128-hp Speed Triple, but the only one that joint had was snapped up by a fellow a few days before the open house.

Oh yes, met Eric Bostrom and took a photo with him. ^c

So which new bike I will be getting toward the end of the year? Why, the new BMW K1200R. This bike will make the Monsters and any other naked hooligan bikes look like a bunch of nancys.;f

http://www.respect1200.com

2. RBR

RBR

I like the new K1200S but guess it will run around 20K or so (or about 8K over-priced to me). The Triumph Sprint ST is another nice bike.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The new K1200S fully loaded is only $17.5K.

4. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

"ONLY"!!!!!

The K12 is the first BMW I'd actually own. My uncle rides them. He's had several through out the years, so I see that they are a nice product, but all that money......that I don't have.

5. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Or 1.75 Hayabusa's;f

;b

6. norton

norton

I love the way the Brutale looks.
    All of the ducks I have ridden seem to be about the same. They do have great engines.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Brutale looks good but it isn't too brutal as the name suggested. The red MV uses isn't the typical Italian red and frankly I was a bit put off.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Pic of the S2R that I test rode.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Speed Triple that some guy just snatched up from the dealership and thus denying us interested parties the demo rides on this awesome machine.:soap:

10. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I love the look of the new speed triple, well, everything except those fugly headlights.

The new Sprint ST looks awesome though
    http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/792.aspx

11. Shinichi

Shinichi Snow yet?

I really like the looks of the Triumph Thruxton's.

but any of them will do.