Test ride report: Triumph Tiger 1050 - Oh Mama!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Mar 11, 2007.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4506.aspx

Interested party can go to the above Triumph website for the nitty gritty on specs and such. I just want to put down some of my thoughts as a rider.

The 1050-cc triple engine is slightly detuned from the fearsome Speed Triple to the tune of 117-HP and 74-lbft of torque. Believe you me, that's still plenty of oomph to make this Tiger roar. I test rode the Tiger at SoCal Triumph in Brea, California. Great dealership, and I can't say anything bad about that joint. This Tiger was retrofited with the Triumph accessory exhaust which makes the sweetest sound. The triple engine sure doesn't sound like anything else. A little of base, a little bit of whine and a lot of GO!!!

The torque is so broad that you can accelerate hard on 6th gear going as slow as 50-MPH. Very lively engine that delivers immediate performance.

The bike is big and slightly hefty at probably around 500-lbs wet, but once you get it off the center stand, it balances well and especially when it's under power. It steers deceptively easy. Very little effort due to both the wide handlebar and the way the bike was balanced. You can definitely rail it into a corner with ease and confidence.

It's a fairly tall bike, of course. I'd say that it's just a hair shorter than the KTM950 Adventure and just about the same as the BMW R1200GS. The seating position is very close to that of the GS, actually.

All is not cherry, to be honest. The brakes are awesome, but the rear brake lever is awkwardly positioned and you have to push it down quite a bit before the rear brake engages. The front fork dives too much under braking. I don't know how much it would help if the suspension were to set up correctly for my weight, but as is, it dives considerably which takes away some of the fun.

The bike only had 350-miles on it, so maybe it needs some breaking in but I've found it to have some really crappy clutch/transmission action. The clutch is cable actuated and quite smooth albeit slightly heavy. BUT I had a hell of a time getting the transmission to go into third, fourth, fifth and sixty. Two-finger clutching is pretty much out most of the time because of this issue. Downshifting is also disappointing because the shift lever has to go down quite far before it downshifts. Upshift is crisp and not too bad.

It's a smart thing for Triumph to make the Tiger totally street oriented instead of adventure style. I don't think that anybody can compete with KTM and BMW when it comes to adventure bikes, so why bother.

So, how does this Triumph work as a tourer/sport tourer when the Spring ST is around for sport touring? I don't rightly know. I personally prefer the straight up seating position of the Tiger (and KTM Adventure & BMW GS). THe wind screen is effective enough in its role so that you don't need the forward leaning position to fight against the wind. THe bike also corners quite well and one can easily hang off it. So, who would buy this over the Sprint? I don't know. But at least Triumph will have the touring/sport touring deal covered with both the Tiger and the ST.

The Tiger also makes for a great commuter bike too because it's so easy to ride with generous steering lock and being fairly narrow. The light steering is sweet for maneuvering in heavy traffic.

And yes, fit and finish are more than acceptable.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Thanks, H.
    Have yet to see one in person but the new Tigger is on my very, very short list.
    I found my Triple a little clunky until about 1K on the clock and a switch to Motul 4T synth. The 1050 is one helluva powerplant! HH

3. Infallible

Infallible

Nice write up but I think I'll stick with mine thank you:
    [​IMG]

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

I'd dig the 6-speed gearbox, but I wonder why no juice clutch in the Triumph Tiger?

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

A bike of this calibre requires a rider who has outgrown the hydraulic clutch. HH

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The more I think about it the less I believe in the necessity of a hydraulic clutch. The Tiger's clutch was a tad heavy but entirely manageable AND smooth. A lot of the Japanese sport bikes don't have hydraulic clutch yet the pulls are still smooth and light.

7. Infallible

Infallible

Yeah not like those damned Aprilia's........

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For sure. Another damn thing to worry about on those pasta burners.:rofl:

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

Yeah, right...:animlol:

They let Falman ride it.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They needed a Tiger tamer and I was it.

11. norton

norton

Off topic, but my brother in law told me he is going to get a new Brutale.
    He has a Triumph Tiger now.
    And a Ducati 900 supersport
    And a Victory Cruiser bike.

12. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

:thumbsup:

[​IMG]